This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

An error occurred while communicating with the remote host. The error code is 0x800703E3.

8 Answers 1889 Views
Window
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
Phil asked on 15 Oct 2010, 05:34 PM
Hi:
I have a page that is way too big, but it is what it is.  It has 6 tabs (TabStrips), and each tab has a grid (Radgrid).  In one of the grids (which is contained in a user control ascx) clicking on the edit launches a RadWindow, where the user can add or change data.  On save the grid is rebound.  Both the base page and the ascx has a RadWindowManager in them.  The base page RadWindowManager has an OnClientClose="refreshGrid" client side event.  In production (yeah only production), I am getting the following IIS error:
    An error occurred while communicating with the remote host. The error code is 0x800703E3.
when the user closes and saves on the RadWindow.  Production is an IIS 7 environment.
Any suggestions?
Phil

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Oct 2010, 02:46 PM
Hi Phil,

You are the first to report such problem and at this point I cannot tell what the reason for the error is. Could you please provide more information? What happens if you call the refreshGrid() function manually (e.g. by clickin on a <button onclick="refreshGrid(); return false;">test</button>)? Also, what happens if you execute the code in that function with a small timeout?

All the best,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Nov 2010, 07:28 PM
Hi:
The error occurs in production, not on my development server.
In development, I added the following link-button:
<asp:LinkButton ID="refreshLinkButton" runat="server" OnClientClick="refreshGrid()">Refresh</asp:LinkButton>
I launched the form, added some data via SQL Management Studio and clicked the Refresh link-button and the new row appeared.  I have remove the button now that I have tested that.

I have added CDATA to my javascript as follows:
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
//]]>
</script
and I have added in the javascript code a setTimeout for .1 of a second.  I need to get the setTimeout rolled into production.
Phil
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 05 Nov 2010, 12:14 PM
Hello Phil,

In such case, could you provide a live Url to a page where the problem can be reproduced? We will check it right away.

Kind regards,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 05 Nov 2010, 12:49 PM
Hi:
This is an internal application.  No public presence.
Phil
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 05 Nov 2010, 01:08 PM
Hi:
This is the stack trace that I retrieved from the logs:
System.Web.HttpException: An error occurred while communicating with the remote host. The error code is 0x800703E3. 
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703E3): 
The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E3)     
End of inner exception stack trace 
     at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.RaiseCommunicationError(Int32 result, Boolean throwOnDisconnect)
     at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityCoreSync(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
     at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityBody(Byte[] buffer, Int32 size)
     at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent()
     at System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection()
     at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()
     at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm()
     at System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull)
     at System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode()
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
Phil
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 10 Nov 2010, 04:26 PM
Hi Phil,

I don't see Telerik mentioned in the stack trace, so I cannot tell if the problem is directly related to our controls or not. A quick search in Google shows that the error usually happens because the client disconnects in a middle of a request. Please check the search results and try the suggestions provided in the sites found by Google.

Greetings,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Nov 2010, 02:55 AM
Hi:
It seem that something in the design pattern taken from your example code for RadWindow closing and evoking a postback in the calling page to reload the RadGrid, causes a rapid firing of javascript.  IIS7 does not like the rapid firing of javascript.  You guys seem to be the King of javascript client side code, so I was surprised not to find any postings of the issue.
Phil
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 17 Nov 2010, 02:36 PM
Hello Phil,

Well, as I said, you were the first to report such problem and so far, I am basically guessing what might be wrong :)
Could you please post the exact steps (in code) that cause the problem? e.g. something like:
  1. a button in the content page is clicked and calls this serverside / client-side function
  2. the next step fires this code
  3. the last step causes the resulting error.
This might help me provide you with better suggestion.
What I can say for now is that I assume you are referring to this demo. In it, once the button in the content page is clicked, we execute a server-side function at the end of which, we output JavaScript code that fires the following function:
function CloseAndRebind(args) {
    GetRadWindow().BrowserWindow.refreshGrid(args);
    GetRadWindow().close();
}

What this function does is to fire a function (refreshGrid()) in the context of the parent page and to close the RadWindow after that. This logic is not causing any problems in our demos and in IIS, so I assume that in your case, there is something else. What I would suggest (again "a shot in the dark" I'm afraid) is to change the logic a bit and if you use that RadWindow only to update a record in the grid - to call the refreshGrid() function directly from the parent page when the RadWindow is closed.
To do that, you can use the OnClientClose property and set there the name of the function you wish to fire once the RadWindow is closed.
e.g.
OnClientClose="refreshGrid"
Best wishes,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Tags
Window
Asked by
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2