This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Activate "edit list items" fails with 403 error

4 Answers 147 Views
WebParts for SharePoint
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
sasquatchjr
Top achievements
Rank 1
sasquatchjr asked on 07 Apr 2007, 03:02 AM
I am very excited about using this product.  Thanks for providing it to the Sharepoint community!

I am having a bit of a problem with implementation, though.  We have a single server running WSS 3.0 with a separate SQL 2005 back-end.  The r.a.d. solution installs without complaint, and I can add it as a web part without issue.  However, when I attempt to activate the "use r.a.d.editor to edit list items" site collection on any site, I get a "403" error stating that login is required (and I have already authenticated to the site as a user with site collection admin privs).

I changed the default trust level in the web.config file in both of the IIS sites that host our Sharepoint service.  The global web.config was set at the default "full" level, and override was not configured there, so that should make no difference.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?  I have a department full of Mac and Firefox users who are itching for this!

-Greg Mackinnon
University of Vermont

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 09 Apr 2007, 01:56 PM
Hello Greg,

When you activate the lists and wikis radEditor feature from the site collection features, we try to copy a file called RadEditorList.ascx from the feature folder, e.g.:

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\RadEditorFeature\

to the control templates folder 

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES\

For some reason, the currently logged in user does not have permissions to perform this operation. You can manually activate the feature if you copy the file. Later if you decide to deactivate it, simply delete the ascx file from the CONTROLTEMPLATES folder. Do not forget to restart the SharePoint Application pool (iisreset) after you activate/deactivate the feature.

All the best,
Lini
the telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new telerik Support Center
sasquatchjr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Apr 2007, 01:06 PM

Lini:

Thanks for the tip.  The "RadEditorList.ascx" template certainly was missing from the CONTROLTEMPLATES folder.  Unfortunately, copying the file to that location did not resolve the problem.  I still get a 403 "Forbidden" error when attempting to activate the site feature.

I did turn up diagnostic logging on the server and found that, unsurprisingly, an "access denied" error is being logged against the "RadEditorList.ascx" file in the CONTROLTEMPLATES folder.  Interestingly, the NTFS permissions on that file are identical to all of the other files in the same directory.  I can activate other site features without error... it is just the RADEditor that is complaining.

In case it is of any help, I am including an extract from the diagnostic log below.

-Greg Mackinnon
University of Vermont

04/10/2007 08:41:16.39  w3wp.exe (0x1488)                        0x1708 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        88jb Medium   Feature Activation: Activating Feature 'RadEditorFeature' (ID: '747755cd-d060-4663-961c-9b0cc43724e9') at URL https://sharepoint/sites/xxx
04/10/2007 08:41:16.39  w3wp.exe (0x1488)                        0x1708 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        75fb Medium   Calling 'FeatureActivated' method of SPFeatureReceiver for Feature 'RadEditorFeature' (ID: '747755cd-d060-4663-961c-9b0cc43724e9'). 
04/10/2007 08:41:16.39  w3wp.exe (0x1488)                        0x1708 Windows SharePoint Services    Feature Infrastructure         88jm High     Feature receiver assembly 'RadEditorSharePoint, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1f131a624888eeed', class 'Telerik.SharePoint.RadEditorFeature.RadFeatureReceiver', method 'FeatureActivated' for feature '747755cd-d060-4663-961c-9b0cc43724e9' threw an exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES\RadEditorList.ascx' is denied.     at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)     at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)     at Telerik.SharePoint.RadEditorFeature.RadFeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActiva... 
04/10/2007 08:41:16.39* w3wp.exe (0x1488)                        0x1708 Windows SharePoint Services    Feature Infrastructure         88jm High     ...tionCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce) 
04/10/2007 08:41:16.39  w3wp.exe (0x1488)                        0x1708 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        72by High     Feature Activation: Threw an exception, attempting to roll back.  Feature 'RadEditorFeature' (ID: '747755cd-d060-4663-961c-9b0cc43724e9').  Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES\RadEditorList.ascx' is denied.     at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)     at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)     at Telerik.SharePoint.RadEditorFeature.RadFeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webPare... 
04/10/2007 08:41:16.39* w3wp.exe (0x1488)                        0x1708 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        72by High     ...nt, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce) 
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 10 Apr 2007, 01:32 PM
Hello Greg,

After you manually copy the file, there is no need to go and activate the feature. Simply restart IIS to recycle the SharePoint application pool and the list editor should start working in non-IE browsers.

The 403 could be caused by two reasons - MOSS has impersonation turned on by default, which means that it tries to access the file with the domain account, which is currently logged in. Even though you are logged in with site collection admin privileges on the server, your account might still need write access rights for the 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES\' folder. Try giving full permissions to this user from windows explorer and try to activate the feature again.

If impersonation is turned off, then you need to give the access rights for the above folder to the NETWORK SERVICE account.

Kind regards,
Lini
the telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new telerik Support Center
sasquatchjr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Apr 2007, 02:15 PM
Ah... the access denied error was a red herring.  I see that you are correct; I do not actually have to "activate" the feature at the site level.

The radEditor is now working perfectly in Firefox browsers.  Thanks so much for you assistance.  Our users are going to love this!

-Greg
Tags
WebParts for SharePoint
Asked by
sasquatchjr
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Lini
Telerik team
sasquatchjr
Top achievements