This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

A few questions

7 Answers 345 Views
Globalization
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Kakone
Top achievements
Rank 1
Kakone asked on 26 Mar 2012, 11:13 AM
Hello,

I have a few questions about globalization :
1) Why don't you use the browser language by default ? If the script of the current culture of the browser was added, why not use it by default ? For the moment, it's always 'en-US'
2) I added the script <script src="scripts/js/cultures/kendo.culture.fr.min.js"></script> in my application. If I set the culture to 'fr-FR' (kendo.culture("fr-FR")), it doesn't work, the default 'fr' script is not used (I think it should be).
3) Is it possible (and how) to use your globalization framework to localize our own strings ?

Cordially,
Kakone.

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Georgi Krustev
Telerik team
answered on 27 Mar 2012, 10:00 AM
Hello Kakone,

Straight upto your questions:

#1:  In order to globalize the widgets the developer should include the required resouces. That is why setting the current culture should be developer's task.

#2:  I was not able to observe the described erroneous behavior. Check this jsFiddle demo. You can also check the globalization demo for more information.

#3:  Currently this is not supported.

Regards,
Georgi Krustev
the Telerik team
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Kakone
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the answers.

Concerning the second point, you added the script 'kendo.culture.fr-FR.js'. Ok, in this case, it works well but if you add only the script ''kendo.culture.fr.js' and you set the culture to 'fr-FR', it doesn't work. As the fr-FR script is not found, I think you should try to choose the default culture 'fr' script. It's not the case actually. If the script 'fr-FR' is not found, you choose directly the default culture 'en-US'.

Cordially,
Kakone.

Accepted
Georgi Krustev
Telerik team
answered on 28 Mar 2012, 10:15 AM
Hello Kakone,

Currently the culture method will search directly for a "fr-FR" property in the kendo.cultures object. If you load only "kendo.culture.fr.js" script, then you will need to set the culture like this:

kendo.culture("fr");
I will log your request for further consideration and investigation. If other users need such functionality we will schedule it for implementation.

All the best,
Georgi Krustev
the Telerik team
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
John
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2012, 11:37 PM
I don´t need to even write my question. Once I got here, the problems is solved by itself, thanks! I´ve got simmilar misunderstanding.
Jack
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
answered on 19 Apr 2012, 04:57 PM
I agree with Kakone: "fr-FR"  should default to "fr" before "en-US". This is the way browsers work.
michel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jun 2013, 06:16 AM
Georgi,

Is it possible to set the culture by using "fr" instead of "fr-FR" in the latest release of kendo ?
Seems like it's still not possible ?
Georgi Krustev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jun 2013, 05:28 PM
Hello michel,

The functionality discussed here talks about setting "fr-FR" culture when only "kendo.culture.fr.min.js" is registered. Check this jsBin demo for clarification. The opposite functionality is not supported.

Regards,
Georgi Krustev
Telerik
Tags
Globalization
Asked by
Kakone
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Georgi Krustev
Telerik team
Kakone
Top achievements
Rank 1