This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

500 error on Dictionary Path

10 Answers 510 Views
Spell
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Alice
Top achievements
Rank 1
Alice asked on 14 Jan 2008, 02:34 PM
I'm trying to get the spell check to work under Prometheus.  With everything I try I get the following 500 error:

---------------------------
Windows Internet Explorer
Spell Check Handler Server Error:500
<html>

<head>

<title>No dictionary loaded. Set the DictionaryPath property before spellchecking.</title>

<style>

body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;}

p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px}

b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px}

H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red }

H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon }

pre {font-family:"Lucida Console";font-size: .9em}

.marker {font-weight: bold; color: black;text-decoration: none;}

.version {color: gray;}

.error {margin-bottom: 10px;}

.expandable { text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold; color:navy; cursor:hand; }

</style>

</head>

<body bgcolor="white">

<span><H1>Server Error in '/CANCis' Application.<hr width=100% size=1 color=silver></H1>

<h2> <i>No dictionary loaded. Set the DictionaryPath property before spellchecking.</i> </h2></span>

<font face="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif ">

<b> Description: </b>An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

<br><br>

<b> Exception Details: </b>System.ArgumentException: No dictionary loaded. Set the DictionaryPath property before spellchecking.<br><br>

<b>Source Error:</b> <br><br>

<table width=100% bgcolor="#ffffcc">

<tr>

<td>

<code>

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be ideā€¦
OK  

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I've loaded the skins for Prometheus under the themes folder, the dictionaries under the Data-App folder and the Global Resource files.

10 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jan 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Alice,

Could you please open a support ticket and send a sample working project that demonstrates the problem? Please, include all project files and folders that will help us to reproduce the reported problem on our side.

Once we are able to replicate the problem, we will do our best to provide a solution.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Alice
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jan 2008, 05:16 PM
You bet, I'll get to work on that ASAP.
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jan 2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Alice,

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

In the meantime you can install the RadControls "Prometheus" examples and see whether the spellchecker works properly in the editor. You can also review the following help article: Enable RadSpell in RadEditor.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Alice
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jan 2008, 05:15 AM
You know, when I load the sample website in VS 2005 it seems to work fine.  But, when I load it in Visual Web Developer 2008 it won't run.  Maybe that's my problem?  On the other hand, I did place a datagrid on my page VW 2008 and it worked fine.
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jan 2008, 11:52 AM
Hello Alice,

I examined the provided project files and I was able to fix the problem with the following steps:
  1. Upgraded the Telerik.Web.UI.dll with this one from the bin35 folder of the latest SP1 hotfix Telerik.Web.UI_2007_3_1314_trial_hotfix.zip. The bin32 version applies to .NET 3.5 projects in VS 2008
  2. After that I registered the spellcheck dialog handler in the web.config file:

<httpHandlers>
       <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1314.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"
        validate="false" />
       <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1314.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"
        validate="false" />
      </httpHandlers>

You can do that through the smart tag of the spellchecker in Design mode of VS.
  3. I noticed that the dictionaries are located in the ~/App_Data/RadSpell folder which means that the DictionaryPath poperty should point that folder but not ~/RadSpell/en-us.tdf, e.g.

<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox9" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>

<telerik:RadSpell ID="RadSpell1" Runat="server" ControlToCheck="TextBox9"
      DictionaryPath="~/App_Data/RadSpell" SpellCheckProvider="TelerikProvider"
      ButtonType="PushButton" FragmentIgnoreOptions="All"
      SupportedLanguages="en-US,English" WordIgnoreOptions="None" />

Finally I tested the spellchecker and verified that it works properly in VS2008 and .NET 3.5.

Kind regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Daniel Cai
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Feb 2008, 06:26 PM
Hi telerik team,

As I am migrating my application from classic controls to Prometheus, I got the same error as Alice.

I just wonder if we can centralize the configuation of DictionaryPath so I don't have to go 50 different pages to add DictionaryPath for each spell checker.

Also, I was using Outlook skin in classic spell checker control. But after I migrated to Prometheus, the skin looks quite different from the classic one, it seems the Outlook skin is very similar to Office2007 skin.

Thanks,
Daniel
George
Telerik team
answered on 04 Mar 2008, 01:17 PM
Hi Daniel,

We are not quite sure whether you are using RadSpell as a standalone control or RadSpell as a spellchecker of RadEditor. Nevertheless, in order to avoid adding DictionaryPath / SpellDictionaryLanguage for each spell checker in 50 different pages you can easily configure your custom Theme. In this Theme you can configure the editor's (if using RadEditor) or the spell's (if using RadSpell) configuration, so that when you have to change all the RadEditors' or RadSpells' configuration, the only thing you will have to do is to change the configuration in the Theme. Also, you will have to set the SkinId property, within the editor's or spell's declaration, to point to you custom Theme.

For more information on this topic, please, review the following help article:
Using Themes.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
George
the Telerik team

Fascinator
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Aug 2009, 02:14 PM
Guys,

I have the same problem.
I'm using Telerik.Web.UI , Version=2009.1.311.35 and RadSpell.Net2, Version=3.2.5.0
DictionaryPath="~/Spell/TDF"

Environment: ASP.NET 3.5, Microsoft VS 2008

Please, assist. Thank in advance.
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 10 Aug 2009, 08:41 AM
Hi,

Is there a reason why you are still using the RadSpell.Net2 assembly, when the Telerik.Web.UI build you have (2009.1) already has the RadSpell control in it? I suggest that you remove the RadSpell.Net2 reference and use only the Telerik.Web.UI.RadSpell class. The default dictionary path for the new version is ~/App_Data/RadSpell/. Try copying your dictionaries there and see if the error is gone. If that does not help, open a formal support ticket and send us a sample project which we can test and tell you how to fix the problem.

Greetings,
Lini
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Sunil P
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jun 2014, 06:25 AM
I was also facing same JSON issue on Spell check. But this issue was found only on pages which are under a sub-folder, pages under home directory were working fine.

I tried below code and its worked for me.

<telerik:RadEditor id="radE1" runat="server" DialogHandlerUrl = "~/Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.axd">
            <SpellCheckSettings DictionaryPath="~/App_Data/RadSpell"   AjaxUrl="~/Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" />
        </telerik:RadEditor>

For me removing "DictionaryPath" also working...

--Sunil S P
Tags
Spell
Asked by
Alice
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rumen
Telerik team
Alice
Top achievements