Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorException

3 posts, 0 answers
  1. Nicolaï
    Nicolaï avatar
    160 posts
    Member since:
    Apr 2008

    Posted 02 Dec 2011 Link to this post

    Hello,

    today, I spent hours trying to solve a
    "Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorException"
    on the radgrid.

    It happened only for some records. After some time, I narrowed it down to one single record.
    Then I noticed, even in SQL Server, the record was truncated. Impossible to read beyond a certain point.
    The radgrid was still able to show the whole record, but only on the page load: any async request would cause a:
    Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorException: The message received from the server could not be parsed. Common causes for this error are when the response is modified by calls to Response.Write(), response filters, HttpModules, or server trace is enabled.
    Details: Error parsing near ' to move '.

    After a few more hours of digging, I noticed firefox had no problems at all displaying the record, even in async postbacks...
    And finally, I noticed the cause:  in the middle of the record.
    (Not even sure this will display for IE users)
    A little ascii square!
    
    So much pain, for one ascii square...
    So many articles, so many forum threads... None ever mentionned this.. So I thought there should be at least one forum thread about this...
    Good luck to anyone stumbling on this while searching for a mystical "Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorException".
    Those are hard...
  2. Nicolaï
    Nicolaï avatar
    160 posts
    Member since:
    Apr 2008

    Posted 02 Dec 2011 Link to this post

    Replying to my own post from Internet Explorer to confirm, you will not even see the faulty character in IE, in the above post.
  3. UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017
  4. Tom Rasmussen
    Tom  Rasmussen avatar
    20 posts
    Member since:
    Jan 2009

    Posted 23 Apr 2013 Link to this post

    Thanks Nicolai.

    This turned out to be the same problem I just tracked down.  One of my bound fields in a grid contained a hex 0x00 character which freaked out ajax in IE8 and below.  All of the usual suggestions for the Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorException did not apply to my situation at all.  
Back to Top