Error creating control

7 posts, 0 answers
  1. Laura
    Laura avatar
    131 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2008

    Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

    I have a pretty large project that I have been working on for a few months. All of the sudden today, I get errors on all my telerik controls in design mode. I am using 2008 Q3, and have been using it since it came out. This is one of the errors:

    Error Creating Control - RadAjaxManager1'AjaxSettings' could not be initialized. Details: [A]Telerik.Web.UI.RadAjaxManager cannot be cast to [B]Telerik.Web.UI.RadAjaxManager. Type A originates from 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.3.1125.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' in the context 'LoadNeither' at location 'C:\Documents and Settings\lgrella2\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ProjectAssemblies\-wd3emyp01\Telerik.Web.UI.dll'. Type B originates from 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.3.1125.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' in the context 'LoadNeither' at location 'C:\Documents and Settings\lgrella2\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ProjectAssemblies\zfmhnqph01\telerik.web.ui.dll'.


    I did not upgrade telerik or anything else on the machine, but all controls in many pages in my project have a similar error. That leads me to believe my web.config file is wrong. The lines referring to telerik in the web.config are:

    <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.3.1125.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" verb="*" validate="false"/>

    and

     <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_WebResource_axd" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.3.1125.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"/>


    How do I fix this?

    Thanks

  2. Todd Anglin
    Todd Anglin avatar
    2040 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2005

    Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

    Hello Laura-

    It looks like your Visual Studio cache is corrupt. If you've changed nothing else on your system and this suddenly happens, that's usually the case. To fix the problem, you just need to clear your cache. To do that:

    1. Close Visual Studio
    2. Navigate to your VS Cache (usually located at the path in the error message)
    3. Delete all of the folders in the "ProjectAssemblies" folder

    This folder is where VS caches assemblies used in your projects, and from time-to-time, this cache can become corrupted. Clearing this folder should solve your problem. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

    -Todd
  3. UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017
  4. Laura
    Laura avatar
    131 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2008

    Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

    I did exactly as you said, and it did not fix the problem. I still get all the errors.
  5. Todd Anglin
    Todd Anglin avatar
    2040 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2005

    Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

    Hmm...okay. There is also a blog post available the Telerik Blogs that highlights a few other possible solutions. Check the comments, in particular, for ideas from the community:


    One thing suggested that you may try also is clearing your Temporary ASP.NET Files, usually located at C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. 

    Hope that helps you find your solution!
    -Todd 
  6. Laura
    Laura avatar
    131 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2008

    Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

    Thanks for your help. Clearing the asp.net temporary files did not help either.
  7. Todd Anglin
    Todd Anglin avatar
    2040 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2005

    Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

    Bummer- one of those two options almost always works! I know it seems extreme, but perhaps you can closing VS, clearing both of those folders again, rebooting, and then seeing if that solves the problem. This is a VS 2008 problem, and if you Google you'll find some more ideas people have used to fix VS. Hopefully one of these "clean-up" steps will get things working again. Let me know if you manage to resolve things!

    -Todd
  8. Laura
    Laura avatar
    131 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2008

    Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

    I didn't reboot being that this is a server and other people are connected to it. Maybe if I reboot it after deleting those files, it will work (I hope). Another solution is to copy my code to work on another server, but that's a fudge that I'd rather not do. I'll let you know if it works.

    Thanks for the quick responses.
Back to Top
UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017