This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

ASPX Page does not render when Telerik Control is added...

4 Answers 148 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
PaladinMRB
Top achievements
Rank 1
PaladinMRB asked on 03 Dec 2008, 07:08 PM
Hello, I am having a strange issue.

First I should note that I am working with the Telerik control suite for the first time with a new company. I am working with the ASP.NET Ajax controls and am running an application with the .NET 2.0 framework.

The specific problem I am running into is that adding a control to a web form causes a blank page to render.

What I am doing is this; creating a page which will use multiple Telerik controls.

First I successfully designed a page which uses the RadSplitter control and this page renders correctly.

The next step was to add a RadPanelBar to one of the Splitter's panes, however when I did this, none of the web page markup renders, all I get is a blank page.

To begin troubleshooting, I removed all other code/controls on the page and simply added the Script Manager and the example code for a basic RadPanelSplitter as given in the "First Look" example on the main site. This is the only code now in the page besides the basic page tags requisite for any ASPX form.

When this page is run I get, again, nothing but a blank page. In fact none of the web form markup is rendering, the markup the "blank" page contains (using the browser's view source) is this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> 
<HTML><HEAD
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"></HEAD> 
<BODY></BODY></HTML> 

Besides there being almost nothing but basic tags, it almost appears that the form element is just completely missing from the markup (which is necessary), but also there is code in the Head tag besides the one meta tag shown which is not rendering.

This is very strange behavior, and I'm not getting any errors at all... Perhaps since I have not worked with the Telerik controls before I have made a simple mistake, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Serrin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Dec 2008, 08:57 PM
Hey Paladin,

Can you post the code from the aspx page that you are using which creates this effect?  I'm curious to see what is causing this problem. :)
PaladinMRB
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Dec 2008, 09:09 PM
Sure, no problem:

<%@ Register TagPrefix="telerik" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" %> 
<%@ Page Language="VB" Theme="Payroll" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="Application.PayrollDefault" %> 

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/tr/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> 

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" > 
<head runat="server">     
    <title>A Payroll App</title> 
</head> 
<body> 
    <form id="Payroll" runat="server"
        <asp:ScriptManager id="smPayroll" runat="server" />                                  
        <div id="payroll-main"
        <telerik:RadSplitter ID="rsMain" height="100%" width="100%" runat="server"

<telerik:RadPane ID="rpNavigation" Height="100%" Width="25%" runat="server" > 
             <%-- Panel Bar Navigation --%> 

<div id="payroll-navigation"

<telerik:RadPanelBar ID="rpbNavigation" Skin="Gray" Height="100%" ExpandMode="FullExpandedItem" runat="server"
                <Items> 

<telerik:RadPanelItem Text="Time Cards" ImageUrl="../App_Themes/Payroll/Images/timecard.png"
                    </telerik:RadPanelItem> 

<telerik:RadPanelItem Text="Employees" ImageUrl="../App_Themes/Payroll/Images/employees.png"

<telerik:RadPanelItem Text="ID Management" ImageUrl="../App_Themes/Payroll/Images/idmanage.png"

<telerik:RadPanelItem Text="Schedules" ImageUrl="../App_Themes/Payroll/Images/schedules.png"

<telerik:RadPanelItem Text="Departments" ImageUrl="../App_Themes/Payroll/Images/departments.png"

<telerik:RadPanelItem Text="Job Types" ImageUrl="../App_Themes/Payroll/Images/jobtypes.png"

<telerik:RadPanelItem Text="Reports" ImageUrl="../App_Themes/Payroll/Images/reports.png"

</Items> 
                </telerik:RadPanelBar> 

</div> 

</telerik:RadPane> 

<telerik:RadSplitBar ID="rspNavigation" Height="100%" collapsemode="Forward" runat="server" /> 

<%-- Page Content --%> 
             <telerik:RadPane ID="rpContent" Height="100%" Width="75%" ContentUrl="Frames/TimeCard.aspx" runat="server" /> 

</telerik:RadSplitter> 
        </div> 
    </form> 
</body> 
</html> 

There isn't anything in the code behind for this page yet, it's just the straight ASPX controls and the Telerik controls shown here.

If I comment out the PanelBar the page loads with the splitter and the child page loads correctly in the larger splitter pane.

However if I leave the PanelBar code uncommented the page breaks as described in my original post.

Thanks for any help!
Serrin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Dec 2008, 01:10 PM
Hmm, this might be a support ticket kind of thing, as I copied + pasted your code exactly and it worked like a charm (I just substituted your images and contenturl for something in my testing project).  I'm using the latest trial (2008.3.1125), if that is any different from what you're using.  Have you tried swapping the regular asp ScriptManager with RadScriptManager?  Grasping at straws, but I've seen that fix oddball problems before.
PaladinMRB
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Dec 2008, 02:16 PM
The Telerik.Web.UI.dll that is currently in the production source of the app has a build version of 2008.1.515.20. When I started I pulled the production source down from source control and thus had this DLL.

Based on the version you mentioned I talked to other developers on our team and, although the current distribution has that DLL they had upgraded the Telerik DLL in their local source and were using build v2008.3.1105.20.

Once I updated my project BIN with the aforementioned newer DLL the PanelBar sprang to life...and I can now move forward.

So I guess the moral to the story is to be always using the most current build ;)

Thank you for your help Serrin!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
PaladinMRB
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Serrin
Top achievements
Rank 1
PaladinMRB