This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Preserving the width of the actual content inside the editor

5 Answers 102 Views
WebParts for SharePoint
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
darrel
Top achievements
Rank 1
darrel asked on 13 Nov 2007, 06:15 PM
Apologies if a lot of these questions are more Sharepoint centric. It's hard to tell what's always a sharepoint issue vs. a web part issue.

One of the things I despise about MOSS is the fact that the content authoring and editing interface is ON TOP OF the display interface. This rarely works.

One issue we have right now is that our display page has 3 narrow columns, each with a RADEditor Lite web part in them. When you go to edit any one of these items, the RADEditor wants to open the full width of the Editor toobar. This then pushes Web Part editing bar way off screen, so a person now has to edit their content, then know enough to scroll their browser way over to the right to see the OK button.

is there anyway to have the RadEditor web part's 'edit mode' use the same width setting as the item it's editing?

This might be wishful thinking. ;o)

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 14 Nov 2007, 12:49 PM
Hi,

You can control the width and height of the editor web part from the appearance panel in the tool part. I am attaching a screenshot for your convenience. I think that this is the only way to limit the web part editor's width and height .

Best wishes,
Lini
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
darrel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Nov 2007, 07:01 PM
The problem is that this is a fluid-width layout, so I don't want to limit the actual width of the item when presented on the page.

I'm pretty sure there's no fix for this.

Two wild/hopeful/wishful thinking ideas for a future update:

1) Could the Telerik Editor window be a separate DIV positioned absolutely on the page? I'm guessing it's javascript based and just piggy-backing on what Sharepoint Renders, so this is probably wishful thinking.

2) Could the editor, possibly via javascript, resize itself to fit the layout of the page? Ie, if the text area I'm editing happens to be 300px wide, could the editor be resized so that it, too, is 300 px wide.

Just some thoughts. Thanks for the reply!
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 15 Nov 2007, 08:20 AM
Hello,

You can resize the editor on the client using JavaScript. Here is how to do that:

First, add the following piece of JavaScript to your web part page:

<script type="text/javascript">  
function OnClientLoadResize(editor)  
{  
  //set the width and height of the RadEditor  
  editor.SetSize("600","600");  
}  
</script> 

Then, open the editor configuration file and add the OnClientLoad property:

<property name="OnClientLoad">OnClientLoadResize</property> 

For more information about the config file, visit http://www.telerik.com/help/radeditormoss/SetPropertiesViaConfigFile.html. Since you are using the web part, you need to edit ConfigFile.xml.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Lini
the Telerik team

darrel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Nov 2007, 04:27 PM
that's an interesting solution. The catch would be that would apply to ALL instances of the editor on all pages, correct?
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 15 Nov 2007, 04:37 PM
Hi Darrel,

If all instances of the editors on all pages use the same ConfigFile then the OnClientLoad property will be assigned to all of them. However, if you set unique ConfigFiles for the different editor's then the solution will be applied to the desired editors only.

The following help article provides guidance how to set unique configuration files for the different editors: Different configuration files for different webs.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Tags
WebParts for SharePoint
Asked by
darrel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Lini