We’re extraordinarily excited to announce our beta release of Test Studio for iOS is available today!
The entire Test Studio crew has been working hard on this ground-breaking release for us. Test Studio for iOS offers the same great approach to mobile testing as you find in our previous releases of Test Studio Standalone and Express. You’re able to quickly build up powerful, flexible tests on both native iOS applications as well as testing browser-based applications running on your iOS device. Building hybrid applications? We’ve got that covered too!
Our iOS beta download comes with a number of projects for XCode. You’ll get our demo app, Test Studio, and Test Studio Browser. You can add testing to any of your native iOS apps (UIKit-based) simply by including a reference to Test Studio’s static library. We’ve included full directions on accomplishing this in the README! doc included in the Beta download. Once you’ve built your app with our static library you’re ready to roll away to create, run, and manage tests.
Start by having a look at the testing experience using the iPhone or iPad simulator environments in XCode.
When you’re ready, tether up your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch and deploy to your favorite target device (you’ll need an account at Apple’s Developer Center). You can now create, run, and edit tests while on the go with your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, or other iOS device!
I’m happy to highlight our iOS testing features follow the same great concepts as Test Studio:
- Ease of use for recording, maintaining, and playing back test scripts
- No position-based locator strategy, even with native apps! This is huge for stability and maintainability of test scripts!
- Portability of test scripts across different iOS device types. Record tests for your app on the iPod touch, play them back on your app running in the latest iPad.
My apologies for the somewhat low-quality image, but I’ve snapped this picture using my Droid phone while on a plane as I’m travelling from Boston to Louisville to speak at CodePalousa. This photo actually emphasizes two very important advantages in Test Studio for iOS:
- No wifi required. Record, run, edit, and manage your tests while you’re on a train, plane, or horse. Please, not while you’re in the bathtub or pool.
- No tethering required. You’re completely independent of your development environment. Create your applications, deploy to a device, hand the device off to your testers so they can go do their work from their hammock in the back yard.
One other critical aspect of Test Studio for iOS: No jailbreaking of your phone. We’ll let you do great testing on an unmodified phone!
This is a beta release, so we’re really looking forward to getting your feedback. We’ve established a public portal where we’re eagerly awaiting your ideas, thoughts, and yes, bug reports. We’re hoping you’ll help us with suggestions to make testing your iOS apps a great experience.
Interested? Go grab the beta download from the Test Studio for iOS home page!
PS: Did you know we have a YouTube channel for Test Studio?