This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Relationships

6 Answers 26 Views
CloudDataSync
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
chris asked on 21 Jun 2013, 06:10 AM
Hey Guys

I hope I'm not going to be one of those annoying people who ask really basic questions. 
I have got some basic stuff working and have been playing around with the ability to have friend requests. 

I have implemented the request as a content type, with relation fields for the requested by and friend to be requested. 
Im then thinking of having a list of friend requests pending and for approval. 

Does this sound like a viable approach?

If so any good example of how to handle related objects in code?  e.g. From the request get the user.

Ta
Chris

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jun 2013, 07:32 AM
Hello Christian,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.

They are not basic questions and target a really important topic.

We are currently working on the concept of having infrastructure for relations on SynchronizationContext level. At the time you can simply define different SynchronizationContext instances for each content type, synchronize them accordingly and manually find the objects which relate to each other by enumerating the View property.

We will appreciate your feedback on how would you like to see the relations support? Do you have any API ideas or expectations of how things should be working?

Thanks for your time!

Looking forward to your feedback!

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik
Have a suggestion or face a problem - you can use the Ideas & Feedback portal to submit ideas, feedback and vote for them.
Simon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jun 2013, 01:09 PM
I've been looking at similar things trying join queries between synchronisation contexts.

But if you can come up with a lite relationship model between synchronisation contexts then that would be absolutely awesome.

Great question
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 26 Jun 2013, 06:29 AM
Hello Simon,

We will be thinking in that direction. This comes next on our TODO list regarding the Telerik Sync mechanism.

Let me know should you have further questions.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik
Have a suggestion or face a problem - you can use the Ideas & Feedback portal to submit ideas, feedback and vote for them.
Simon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jun 2013, 08:29 AM
I managed (through a lot of hard work, searching and hair pulling) to get something similar implemented in Azure using server side queries.
This meant the weight of the search / join was performed on the backend rather than on the client.

This seemed quite efficient and also reduces the bandwith used when returning data.

Since Everlive does have a concept of a relationship, should this surely be a lot easier?
chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jun 2013, 08:33 AM
Hey Deyan

Sorry for the delayed reply. 
Yes as Simon mentioned being able to join/ access the related entities would be ideal. 
Put in a scenario, the standard Order-->Products relationship where you have an order and can directly get the collection of products rather than having to manually go through each guid of the product from the order entity and retrieving that object, like a lazy load (my workaround.. which may not be the right way)

That would be ace!

Chris
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jun 2013, 06:52 AM
Hello guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

These are valid scenarios. Although in some cases you would not want to download all the related data but take it only if it's needed, it might be useful in other cases where the additional data will not be a big overhead to download.

Thanks again for your time.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik
Tags
CloudDataSync
Asked by
chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Deyan
Telerik team
Simon
Top achievements
Rank 1