This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

4 Answers 176 Views
ComboBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
raskarov
Top achievements
Rank 1
raskarov asked on 01 Aug 2011, 07:25 PM
I have nested grids. in child table I have this: 
<telerik:GridDropDownColumn AllowFiltering="true" DataField="Customer_Id" 
DataSourceID="entityDataSource1" DropDownControlType="RadComboBox"
HeaderText="Customer Name" ListTextField="Name" ListValueField="Customer_Id"
UniqueName="CustomerNameDropDown" AllowAutomaticLoadOnDemand="true">  </telerik:GridDropDownColumn>

when I try to select it says: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
So, automatic load on demand does not work with nested grids? Or I have to use edit template?

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Shinu
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 02 Aug 2011, 07:34 AM
Hello Zakary,

I suppose this is because you have Automatic Load On Demand enabled for the dropdown column. With this feature, the combo items are requested only when you open the dropdown.
aspx:
<telerik:GridDropDownColumn DataField="Customer_Id" EmptyListItemText="Select" DropDownControlType="RadComboBox"
 HeaderText="Customer Name" ListTextField="Name"  DataSourceID="entityDataSource1" AllowFiltering="true"
 ListValueField="Customer_Id" AllowAutomaticLoadOnDemand="true">
</telerik:GridDropDownColumn>

Thanks,
Shinu.
raskarov
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Aug 2011, 04:32 PM
That's exactly when I receive this error, when I click on the arrow or type in something in combobox. I do not see any difference between yours and mine code. Can you please point me what changes should I do in order this to work?
Scott
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 09 Dec 2013, 05:34 PM
Was this ever resolved for you? I'm having the exact same issue with version 2013.2.611.45
Nencho
Telerik team
answered on 12 Dec 2013, 01:44 PM
Hello,

I have tried to replicate the described issue, using 2013.2.611 version of our controls, but to no avail. Therefore,  I am attaching the sample project I have tested with. You could give it a try at your end and test the behavior. Additionally, let us know how the implementation at your end differs, so we could replicate the problem locally. In addition, here is a video, demonstrating the behavior.

Regards,
Nencho
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Tags
ComboBox
Asked by
raskarov
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Shinu
Top achievements
Rank 2
raskarov
Top achievements