This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Major issue with 2012_2_0912

42 Answers 657 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rob Ainscough asked on 14 Sep 2012, 06:37 PM
I installed the new Rad Controls for Q2 2012 0912 and changed my project references and now I'm getting some strange behavoir from VS 2010 IDE with the following error:

The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.SilverlightCommonDesignTimeProperties' threw an exception.

Whenever I try to open any XAML document, I'll get this error. The Design will not display anything, not even the "reload" message.

So I went back to using Q2 2012 0725 and the error has NOT returned.

Anyone else have this problem?  

Rob

42 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Sep 2012, 08:27 PM
Just wanted to say that I tried this on my home development PC and even tried it on another test dev PC I setup ... and I can confirm that Q2 2012 0912 release of RadControls is the source of the issue (Silverlight 5 projects).

It can also generate the following error:

The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.Metadata.FrameworkElementMetadata' threw an exception.

I'll submit an official support ticket.

In the meantime I recommend you do NOT install Q2 2012 0912 ... if you already have, then go back to Q2 2012 0725 (that solved the problem for my PCs).

Rob

Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 17 Sep 2012, 03:29 PM
Hello Rob,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We were able to reproduce it and  we are currently investigating it further. Meanwhile may I ask you to share what is the full path where the Rad Controls 2012_2_0912 are installed? 

Kind regards,
Didie
the Telerik team

Time to cast your vote for Telerik! Tell DevPro Connections and Windows IT Pro why Telerik is your choice. Telerik is nominated in a total of 25 categories.

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Sep 2012, 03:38 PM
Hi Didie,

The path I used for 0912:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls_for_Silverlight5_2012_2_0912_Dev_hotfix

The path I used for 0725:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls_for_Silverlight5_2012_2_0725_Dev_hotfix 

Cheers, Rob.
Marcel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Sep 2012, 05:01 PM
I can confirm I also get this error.
Gilbert van Veen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Sep 2012, 06:12 AM
We can also confirm this error.
It looks to me it has todo something with the styles
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 19 Sep 2012, 06:51 AM
Hello,

We have located the problematic assembly and we are working to provide a fix.

Kind regards,
Didie
the Telerik team

Time to cast your vote for Telerik! Tell DevPro Connections and Windows IT Pro why Telerik is your choice. Telerik is nominated in a total of 25 categories.

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Sep 2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks Didie, looking forward to seeing the fix.

Cheers, Rob.
Dee
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Sep 2012, 06:43 AM
 I got the same error.
I think  it occurs because of the install folder name. It should "RadControls for ..... SP2", but after Update it is "RadControls for ..... SP1".

Marcel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Sep 2012, 02:18 PM
Hi Dee, not sure what you are getting at - my install folder is: 'RadControls for Silverlight Q2 2012 SP2' and I get the error posted.
Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Sep 2012, 02:44 PM
I am also receiveing the same error and my install folder is as expected ('RadControls for Silverlight Q2 2012 SP2')
Do we have any idea how long for the fix?
Thanks
Marcel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Sep 2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Rob,

I installed 0912 originally - I am somewhat unclear how to start using 0725. I guess I download the 0725 DLLs? But then do I replace (copy over) my 0912 DLLS? Then once I want to return to 0912 what is the process?

Thanks
Бежнар
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Sep 2012, 08:55 PM
Hi all,
I work with VS2010 SP1, following the transfer of projects SL5 faced a similar mistake. Within a week, trying to find a solution to this problem. As a final test installed VS2012 ultimate and everything is OK. While and continue to work with VS2010)) and xaml files open without a problem.
Good luck.
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 21 Sep 2012, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I am writing to update you on the issue. 

We have resolved it. The fix will be part of our next Internal Build (next Monday). Please test it locally and  let us know in case you can still experience the problem.

Please excuse us for the inconvenience caused. 

Kind regards,
Didie
the Telerik team

Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Sep 2012, 12:20 PM
Didie - is the new release you talk about today (24th Sep) or do you mean next Monday?
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 24 Sep 2012, 01:41 PM
Hello,

I meant the one scheduled for today. It is still not uploaded though and it will probably be uploaded tomorrow.

Regards,
Didie
the Telerik team

Marcel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Sep 2012, 02:28 PM
I apologize - I have not applied a hotfix before. I followed the instructions here http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/installation-installing-hotfix.html 

one of the steps is:
"From the newly downloaded and unzipped files, copy the new DLLs (located in the Binaries folder) to your Silverlight application's folder which contains the Telerik assemblies. Replace the old dll files."

I actually copied the 0924 dll binaries over the 0912 binaries in 'program files/telerik/RadControls for Silverlight Q2 2012 SP2'. I guess that was wrong since now I get:

System.IO.FileLoadException

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView, Version=2012.2.924.1050, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)

My question is: Is the hotfix then applied to each silverlight application individually? I am confused. Please further explain the part I highlighted and italicized above. Thank you
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 25 Sep 2012, 03:40 PM
Hi,

You should follow the help article and reference the binaries from a folder where the new binaries and design assemblies are available (the design assemblies should be in the "design" folder).

It is possible that your just downloaded (and extracted) assemblies were locked by your operation system. In this article  you could read more about how to unblock an assembly.

Please let me know if this helped you to solve the problem.

Regards,
Didie
the Telerik team

Marcel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Sep 2012, 07:41 PM
To resolve my issue upgrading from SL5 0912 to 0924 (Hotfix), I did the following:
    1. before unzipping the hotfix, I unblocked the DLLs - as per instructions at: http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/installation-installing-hotfix.html .
    2. unzipped the hotfix to C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls_for_Silverlight5_2012_2_0924_DEV_hotfix folder
    3. In visual studio; Telerik menu option; RadControls for Silverlight; Upgrade Wizard - I browsed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls_for_Silverlight5_2012_2_0924_DEV_hotfix\Binaries\Silverlight
    4. I completed the upgrade and everything started to work. The bug reported in this thread is also fixed. Thank you.

References:
http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radcontrols-for-silverlight-vs-extensions-upgrading.html  .

John
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Sep 2012, 09:44 PM
Hi,

Could you confirm if the new build has been uploaded?
I logged in to my account and in the download section I am unable to find the hot fix the last  version I can see is the Sep 12 Version 2012.2 912

Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 26 Sep 2012, 06:45 AM
Hello,

You can download the latest internal build here after you login in to your account.

Greetings,
Didie
the Telerik team

Nucleo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Sep 2012, 02:38 PM
Hello, I downloaded the HotFix and replaced my DLLs but I'm still getting the error.
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 28 Sep 2012, 08:15 AM
Hello,

May I ask you to double check if you have extracted both the binaries and the design folder. Then please Clean the solution and Rebuild.

I hope this will resolve the problem at your end.

All the best,
Didie
the Telerik team

Johannes
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Oct 2012, 06:27 AM
Hello,

We cannot find the latest internal build (0924) from the download page. The only internal build we can see there is 2012.2 912. What is the situation with this problem?
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 03 Oct 2012, 06:31 AM
Hi,

You can download the latest internal build here after you login into your account. You just need to select Product "RadControls for Silverlight" and you will be able to download the latest version.

Greetings,
Didie
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Johannes
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Oct 2012, 07:01 AM
Hello,

Please see the attached screen capture. We can only see build number 2012.2 912.
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 03 Oct 2012, 07:05 AM
Hi,

That is correct - this is the last official version. Please check right below it - you will find hotfix version 2012.2.1001.

Regards,
Didie
the Telerik team

Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Oct 2012, 03:08 PM
Hello,
I too was having the above issue on a trial install as a new user of your product.  I have installed the hotfix above and no longer have the above issue.  I do however have a new one.

Method not found: 'System.Delegate System.Reflection.MethodInfo.CreateDelegate(System.Type, System.Object)'.
   at System.Dynamic.Utils.TypeExtensions.CreateDelegate(MethodInfo methodInfo, Type delegateType, Object target)
   at System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.LambdaCompiler.CreateDelegate()
   at System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.LambdaCompiler.Compile(LambdaExpression lambda, DebugInfoGenerator debugInfoGenerator)
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.BindingToExpressionHelper.CreateUntypedMemberAccessFunc(LambdaExpression memberAccessLambda)
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.InitializeInternalList(IQueryable view)
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.CreateInternalList()
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.get_InternalList()
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.InternalIndexOf(Object item)
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.TryRestorePreviousCurrency()
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.InitializeCurrencyOnRefresh()
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.RefreshOverride()
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.RefreshOrDefer()
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.InvalidatePagingAndRefresh()
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.QueryableCollectionView.OnSortDescriptorsCollectionChanged(Object sender, NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Collections.ObjectModel.ObservableCollection`1.OnCollectionChanged(NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs e)
   at Telerik.Windows.Data.ObservableItemCollection`1.OnCollectionChanged(NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Collections.ObjectModel.ObservableCollection`1.InsertItem(Int32 index, T item)

from this xaml:

<IW:IWBasePanel x:Class="IntelliWrite.Claims.UI.MainClaim.NotesPanel"
           xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
    xmlns:IW="clr-namespace:IntelliWrite.Claims.UI.Controls"
    xmlns:iwdata="clr-namespace:IntelliWrite.Claims.UI.IWServices"
    xmlns:dg="clr-namespace:System.Windows.Controls;assembly=System.Windows.Controls.Data"
                xmlns:compMod="clr-namespace:System.ComponentModel;assembly=System.Windows"
    mc:Ignorable="d"
    d:DesignHeight="497" d:DesignWidth="1050" xmlns:sdk="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation/sdk"
    d:DataContext="{d:DesignData Source=./DesignData/ClaimNotesContainer.xaml}"
    xmlns:telerikHtml="clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Documents.FormatProviders.Html;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Documents.FormatProviders.Html">
    <IW:IWBasePanel.Resources>
        <telerikHtml:HtmlDataProvider x:Key="htmlDataProvider" Html="{Binding ElementName=documentListBox, Path=SelectedItem.Content, Mode=OneWay}" RichTextBox="{Binding ElementName=editor}" />
    </IW:IWBasePanel.Resources>
    <Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="White" >
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition Height="*" />
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>
        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
            <ColumnDefinition></ColumnDefinition>
        </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
        <Border Margin="0,0,0,0">
            <Grid>
                <sdk:Label Content="Notes" Height="20" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="10,0,0,0" Name="label10" VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="120" />
                <StackPanel>   
                    <telerik:RadExpander  Header="Header" Height="100" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="15,6,0,0" Name="radExpSearch" VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="auto">
                        <telerik:RadExpander.Content>
                              <Grid
                                  <TextBox Height="23" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="5,5,0,0" Name="txtSearch" VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="120" />
                            </Grid>
                        </telerik:RadExpander.Content>
                    </telerik:RadExpander>
                </StackPanel>
                <telerik:RadGridView Name="dgNotes"  ItemsSource="{Binding Notes}" AutoGenerateColumns="False" Margin="10,50,10,10" RowDetailsVisibilityMode="Visible">
                    <telerik:RadGridView.SortDescriptors>
                        <telerik:SortDescriptor Member="SysDate" SortDirection="Descending"/>
                    </telerik:RadGridView.SortDescriptors>
                    <telerik:RadGridView.Columns>
                        <telerik:GridViewDataColumn IsReadOnly="True" Header="Date" Width="170" DataMemberBinding="{Binding SysDate}"/>
                        <telerik:GridViewDataColumn IsReadOnly="True" Header="Type" Width="200" DataMemberBinding="{Binding NoteType.Value}" />
                        <telerik:GridViewDataColumn IsReadOnly="True" Header="Claimant" Width="200" DataMemberBinding="{Binding ClaimParty.FirstName}" />
                        <telerik:GridViewDataColumn IsReadOnly="True" Header="User" Width="150" DataMemberBinding="{Binding EnteredBy.UserId}" />
                    </telerik:RadGridView.Columns>

<telerik:RadGridView.RowDetailsTemplate>
                        <DataTemplate>
                            <Border>
                                <telerik:RadRichTextBox x:Name="richTextBox" IsReadOnly="True"  MaxHeight="300" IsSpellCheckingEnabled="False" >
                                    <telerik:RadRichTextBox.Resources>
                                        <telerikHtml:HtmlDataProvider x:Key="htmlDataProvider"  RichTextBox="{Binding ElementName=richTextBox}" Html="{Binding NoteText}"  />
                                    </telerik:RadRichTextBox.Resources>
                                </telerik:RadRichTextBox>
                            </Border>
                        </DataTemplate>
                    </telerik:RadGridView.RowDetailsTemplate>
                </telerik:RadGridView>
            </Grid>
        </Border>
    </Grid>
</IW:IWBasePanel>

This is a new install so we could have missed something in the set up.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 12 Oct 2012, 05:32 AM
Hi,

Can you post your Silverlight and grid exact versions?

All the best,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Oct 2012, 02:25 PM
Hello,
Here you go.
Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView - 2012.2.912.1050
Microsoft Silverlight                 5.1.10411.0
Microsoft Silverlight 3 SDK      3.0.40818.0
Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK      4.0.50826.0
Microsoft Silverlight 5 SDK      5.061118.0
Microsoft Silverlight 5 Toolkit December 2011    5.0.51209.1124

Cheers,
Mark
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 15 Oct 2012, 06:05 AM
Hi,

Do you get this exception in run-time or in design-time? Can you send us small project where we can reproduce the exception?

All the best,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 05:38 PM
I just downloaded/installed and changed my project references to point to the latest: 2012.3.1017.1050 and I'm still getting the exact same error as I initially posted for this thread.

It looks to me like all builds AFTER 2012.2.725.1050 are requiring the Expression Blend SL5 Preview SDK be installed??  Please please please tell me Telerik is NOT requiring an "unsupported" SDK to be installed in order for newer build (post 725) to work??

See my other thread I started, SSDD.

BTW, the error is triggered whenever I try load the designer (XAML).  I've tried Marcel's process and that didn't make a difference.  Tried different version, hot fixes, fresh installed, on another PC and I still get the same error.  If I go back to any version 2012.2.725.1050 or earlier and I don't get the problem.  So clearly something Telerik did after 2012.2.725.1050 is the cause of the problem.

Not happy at all, going back to 725 (yet again).

Rob
JOHN
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 11:30 PM
Happened to me, after installing Q3.
Brent
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Oct 2012, 03:50 AM
Its also happening to me after installing Q3
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2012, 07:02 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. 

I have tested the reported problem but unfortunately I were not able to reproduce such an exception in the Designer View. Please note that I do not have the Expression Blend SL5 Preview SDK installed.

Please check the attached test project and let me know how it behaves at your side. Would it be possible for you to change it accordingly and send it back to me so that I can observe the error message?

Greetings,
Didie
the Telerik team

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Oct 2012, 09:12 PM
I loaded your zipped up project and the designer didn't trigger any errors.

BUT:

1.  Your project is a C# project not a VB project
2.  Your project is VERY limited in scope (just one Telerik:RadGridView)
3.  Your project doesn't contain a "web application project"
4.  In only references 4 Telerik DLLs (Telerik.Windows.Controls, Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView, Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input, Telerik.Windows.Data)

Wouldn't you want to setup a test project with ALL the Telerik controls in order to see if there is a problem??

I've attached a picture of all my project references so you can emulate the same and see if that triggers the error for you.  I'm almost certain it's a conflict similar to the conflict you folks had with RadRichTextBoxRibbonBarUI.DLL and RibbonBar.DLL not getting along with RibbonView.DLL and RichTextBoxUI.DLL.

Rob
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 29 Oct 2012, 01:42 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your notes.

The problem initially reported for version 2012.2.912 was related to the "Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView" assembly (without having any Telerik control initialized) and that is why I have tested that case. 

Now I have followed your instructions and I were able to locate the problem in another assembly -  "Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.dll". We are currently investigating the case. Meanwhile you could avoid using this assembly and there will not be any problem with the Designer.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will try to provide a fix as soon as possible.

Greetings,
Didie
the Telerik team

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Oct 2012, 03:38 PM
Hi Didie,

Glad you were able to duplicate the problem.  We're going to stay with 2012.2.725 until you folks release a fix.

I highly recommend that any time Telerik release an "official" version (not a hot fix) that you test ALL the controls (together in one project) that are a part of the RadControls package.

Rob 
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 01 Nov 2012, 12:04 PM
Hello Rob,

We narrowed down the cause for the issue ant it lied in the
Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll. We fixed and the fix will be available with the internal build next Monday.

In the meantime, you can still use the 2012.3.1017 version of our controls as long as you remove the Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll from the design folder in the binaries folder.

All the best,
Tina Stancheva
the Telerik team

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Nov 2012, 11:51 PM
Tina,

That seems to have solved it.  Can you tell me what are the side effects from deleting the Telerik.Windows.Controsl.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll ?

However, RadRadioButton visual state (IsChecked) still seems to NOT work when bound to a ViewModel ... I was hoping that issue was fixed in 2012.3.1017 ... I haven't been able to come up with a work-around either (that will work with ViewModel).  Posted in another thread where other's are having the same problem.
Zarko
Telerik team
answered on 14 Nov 2012, 02:14 PM
Hello Rob,
You should not experience any side effects from deleting the Telerik.Windows.Controsl.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll file because it is meant to work with VisualStudio 2012 and the .4.0.dll is for VisualStudio 2010 The problem was that VS loads both of the dlls and some code in the .5.0 dll was throwing an exception in VS 2010. As Tina said we fixed this issue and now everything should be fine.
As for your second issue - I posted an answer there too so could you please check it out and I if you need further asistance feel free to ask.

Greetings,
Zarko
the Telerik team

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Nov 2012, 09:28 PM
Zarko,

FYI, with the Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll deleted, the loading (Design view) of any XAML files in my project are VERY VERY VERY slow now (10 seconds, used to be 1-2 seconds) ... this is on a 4.8Ghz 6 core Intel i7-3960X with 32GB RAM and Intel SSD drive.

Any word on when you'll have an official release (I will not use Beta's in my production environment)?

Thanks, Rob.
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 15 Nov 2012, 09:53 AM
Hi Rob,

Our next official release will be the Q3 2012 SP1 and it is due by the end of the month.

However, as the slow loading issue sounds very odd we wanted to ask you for more details. Can you please elaborate on when do you experience the issue - each time you try to open the xaml file of a UserControl or only when opening ResourceDictionaries. Does it happen all the time or only when you first open the file? Is your solution extensive - can you send it over so that we can test it on our side? We tried to reproduce the issue in sample solution but to no avail. And this is why we were wondering what is the content of your xaml pages and is the content related to the issue.

Your assistance on the matter will be highly appreciated as we'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Tina Stancheva
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dimitrina
Telerik team