This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Installation woes

9 Answers 138 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
ian
Top achievements
Rank 1
ian asked on 20 Apr 2012, 10:10 PM
Hi,

Several questions:
 I downloaded the full suite trial installer (web installer). Did the install and it errored. I can't add Telerik components to my projects, you get an error.

1) So I want to uninstall, but I can't find a unified uninstaller, just the half dozen separate installers in Programs. Is there a way to uninstall them alll in one go?

2) Where is the offline installer? If I have to use the web installler again I'm going to be here hours first uninstalling, then reinstalling via web installer. If it still doesn't work, well I imagine that would be annoying.

I've seen several threads here about offline installers, but they are all pointing at the licensed users only area.

Thanks

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
ian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Apr 2012, 06:21 AM
Hokie dokie, I reinstalled, just a subset this time using the pesky web installer. No errors during installation this time, but when I go to add an telerik form items I get a large dialog saying "Running transformation: System.NullReferenceException at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextTemplating74...

This is followed by a second dialog

"Error executing custom action:  Telerik.VSX.TextTemplating.Actions.UnfoldFilesAction ... TemplateException."

... elided
ian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Apr 2012, 06:49 AM
Well, here's fun and games. Last update :) I also have Visual Studio 11 installed, and all the telerik components work perfectly in there. It seems it is only a problem in VS 2010.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 21 Apr 2012, 09:14 AM
Hello Ian,

Thank you for the detailed information. I will cover your questions one by one.

First, you said that the initial installation failed. In this case you should have been provided with the opportunity to submit the error to Telerik. I tried to find errors submitted from your user but I didn't find any. Submitting these error reports helps us to identify the reason for the problem that you encounter.

Second, we don't have unified uninstaller currently but we are working on a new utility that will provide such functionality. It will be available for all users shortly.

Next, the problem that you have encountered in Visual Studio 2010 is caused because the VS extensions that you have tried to use haven't installed properly. To resolve the issue I suggest you to reinstall just the VS extensions which is fast and easy. Here are the steps that you need:
  1. Start Visual Studio and launch the Extension Manager;
  2. Uninstall Telerik VS extensions and restart the IDE;
  3. Launch Extension Manager again and switch to the Online Gallery tab;
  4. Search for Telerik VSExtensions and install all that you need;

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Petar
the Telerik team
RadControls for WinForms Q1'12 release is now live! Check out what's new or download a free trial >>
ian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Apr 2012, 10:45 AM
Excellent, thank you so much for coming back to me on a Saturday morning :) I did submit the original error, this is a few days, perhaps a week ago and I did get an email back from someone suggesting that I uninstall and reinstall.

I've just been through and uninstalled everything again, so I'll do one last reinstall and then follow the steps for extension manager if I have more issues.

Finally, any chance Telerik can make the offline installer available to trial users?
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 21 Apr 2012, 11:47 AM
Hi Ian,

As I mentioned before we are working on an utility that will provide functionality for uninstall and which utility will be available for all Telerik customers.

Regards,
Petar
the Telerik team
RadControls for WinForms Q1'12 release is now live! Check out what's new or download a free trial >>
ian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Apr 2012, 08:20 PM
Yes, that's the UnInstaller, I was asking about the installer. So I don't have to download it again each time I reinstall.

Quick update though: I reinstalled, had the same issue, but followed your advice and it now works.

One note for anyone looking to uninstall the extension; I had to run Visual Studio as Administrator before it would allow me to remove it.

Thanks
Ian
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 23 Apr 2012, 11:54 AM
Hi Ian,

I am glad that everything works now on your side. If you have any future inquires don't hesitate to contact us again.

All the best,
Petar
the Telerik team
Arbd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Jul 2012, 07:35 PM
hi...i tried to install RadControls WinForms 2012 trial version but the setup did not complete and i marked the checkBox error report..
please help....  
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jul 2012, 03:55 PM
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

The problem that you have encountered is really strange and I don't know what is causing it. The installation has failed while trying to execute some custom assentation steps through RUNDLL32 process.

I suggest you to try installing using the 'DLLs and themes only (manual installation)' package available. You can find it through your Telerik account under the 'Manage products' | 'Trial downloads' section. Here is a link for ease - http://www.telerik.com/account/your-products/trial-product-versions/trial-single-download.aspx?pmvid=2851&pid=523. If you are using Visual Studio 2010 you can get the Telerik WinForms VSExtensions through the Extension Manager. Here you can find more details regarding the VS extensions - http://www.telerik.com/help/winforms/installation-deployment-and-distribution-vsx-creation-and-configuration-wizard.html.

I hope the information provided helps. I am sorry for the caused inconvenience. If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us gain.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team
RadControls for WinForms Q2'12 release is now live! Check out what's new or download a free trial >>
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
ian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
ian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Petar
Telerik team