This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Help file not working?

1 Answer 99 Views
WebParts for SharePoint
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rick Mason
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rick Mason asked on 28 Feb 2007, 11:08 AM
The CHM file within the ZIP download, and the separate CHM download, don't work. I've tried them on my machine, on a colleague's and on our SharePoint box. We get the contents list, but every page has a generic IE message saying "I can't load this page but I don't know why."

I've found the online version which I assume is the same, so this is just FYI.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Paul
Telerik team
answered on 28 Feb 2007, 11:56 AM
Hi Rick,

If you're running XP with SP2, or Win2k3 with SP1, you'll likely have had security update 896358 applied to your machine. If so, then you've probably got this problem. When you download a CHM, windows might decide it's unsafe:

But even if you click Open, it doesn't render any HTML.

This problem has been documented under MS knowledge base article
902225. The problem here is that there are two workarounds suggested, and the first is somewhat useless.
For some reason, Microsoft suggests unblocking all CHM files that are downloaded from the internet, and allowing them to just run every time (by unticking the check box in the above picture).

The second workaround is more appropriate. If you right click on the specific file and hit properties:

You can click the Unblock button. This allows this single file to be trusted, but all other CHMs are left alone, the way they should be.

In addition, check that the path to the .CHM file doesn't have any # characters in it anywhere. Otherwise, the help viewer gets confused (# means something specific in HTML). If it does, you'll have to move the file somewhere else.

All the best,
Paul
the telerik team
Tags
WebParts for SharePoint
Asked by
Rick Mason
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Paul
Telerik team