This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Filter Issues

7 Answers 300 Views
Fiddler Classic
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Lucas
Top achievements
Rank 1
Lucas asked on 30 Jan 2018, 03:57 PM

Hi,

I have been using Fiddler for several years now and one thing has consistently bothered me.  Whenever I add a filter, say, "Show only processid X", it will filter out everything else. So far so good.  However, if something new comes in (usually visual-studio related) that wasn't on-screen prior to the filter it isn't filtered.

Here are some reproduction steps to see what I mean:

* Open Fiddler.

* Use Composer to write up a post against a local dev API endpoint.

* Wait for other items to show up (via browser, VS, etc.)

* Right-Click the Fiddler post and choose "Show only Process = x"

* Watch everything but that process filter out.

* Wait a few moments.

* In my dev environment, new things keep cropping up.

I have included a screenshot showing that a filter is active, with a new instance of svchost showing up after the filter was applied.  Is there some way that I can tell Fiddler to apply my filter to any future traffic in this session and not just previous traffic?

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Lucas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Jan 2018, 04:01 PM
As a note, I've tried searching for filter-related issues, but the only things that come up are related to persisting across Fiddler sessions and that doesn't really apply here. If this has been answered elsewhere please point that out and I'll happily go there for the answer.
Alexander
Telerik team
answered on 01 Feb 2018, 05:33 PM
Hi,

Rather unfortunately, I'm unable to reproduce the problem you have. From your screenshot I can see that you have 13 filters. What are the other 12? It could be reproducible only with some combination of filters. Does this happen when this is the only filter applied?

Regards,
Alexander
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Lucas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Feb 2018, 06:18 PM

Yes. This happens to me with just a single filter of When Process != x.

Mostly what I see is svchost, wermgr, watson, and Visual Studio (which are my chattiest processes by far) .  The strange thing is they keep coming back even with the same PID and me having set it to ignore the service by name and/or PID. Sometimes this happens within a minute, sometimes it takes a few minutes. 

Here's a screenshot of me duplicating this just now with a single filter in place.

Alexander
Telerik team
answered on 08 Feb 2018, 12:21 PM
Hi,

I've managed to reproduce the problem. The process that succeeded to pass the filters was indeed the svchost and with 408 code, exactly as in your case.

The bug is now added to our backlog. Thank you for reporting it and for going though the process of reproduction with me.

Regards,
Alexander
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Lucas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Feb 2018, 08:57 PM

Hi Alexander,

Sorry to hear there's a bug, but I'm glad it's reproducible and fixable! Is there a release note section I could use to see when the fix is released?

Thanks,

Lucas

Lucas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Feb 2018, 03:30 PM

Just another quick update here.

I've noticed other processes popping up here, but so far they've all had a 408. If I see other result status codes I'll let you know, but for now that seems to be the common element.

Alexander
Telerik team
answered on 20 Feb 2018, 12:39 PM
Hello,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Yes, the 408 seems to be the common element here. It would be very nice if you do let me know if any other session with different error code pops out.

Regards,
Alexander
Progress Telerik
Tags
Fiddler Classic
Asked by
Lucas
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Lucas
Top achievements
Rank 1
Alexander
Telerik team