This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Feature request

5 Answers 27 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
John Dillon
Top achievements
Rank 1
John Dillon asked on 04 Feb 2009, 05:11 PM
Probably not possible but....

It would be neat if one could embed user controls into the editor. This would then allow us as developers to create editable layouts that contain user controls.

Thanks

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 09 Feb 2009, 06:31 AM
Hi John,

RadEditor is a client-side browser tool, providing the ability to visually edit pure HTML text using the underlying Rich Text Editing engine of the browser. This browser engine supports only standard HTML/XHTML tags and plain text.

Please, note that if you put a server or xml tag in RadEditor the editor will not strip the tag, but will not render it in Design mode. The ASP.NET tags are not HTML tags and the browser is not able to visualize them.

RadEditor is more similar to a desktop HTML editor rather than to an integrated program like MS Word or Visual Studio for web.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
John Dillon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Feb 2009, 10:56 AM
OK yes I understand that but what I am saying is why couldnt for example the editor be able to check the Html content of a RadEditor and look for server tags, redndering them if it found them
e.g.
<div>
<cc1:ExampleControl id="c_Example" runat="server" />
</div>

Thanks
Tervel
Telerik team
answered on 20 Feb 2009, 11:14 AM
Hi John,

There are many aspects to why this is almost impossible to implement.
On the server, a control is a logical unit, on the client - it is a collection of HTML elements and javascript, subject to browser rules and limitations. These two entities are completely different. Yes, you can render a control (e.g the editor can trick it to render its HTML), but then you will probably expect that to change properties of that control or for the control to be both editable as well as to behave as if it is in a non-editable environment.
Once issues of this kind start being taken into consideration, it becomes clear why there is no such commercial implementation available on the web. Many frameworks and CMS systems exist that aim at addressing such a task, and they do so in a manner than a WYSIWYG web-based editor can do things.

Best regards,
Tervel
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
teja
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Aug 2015, 02:57 PM

Hi,

I have an xml document which i have to display in the rad editor in a read only mode. How can i do that. If i try to disable the Editor or the content text area it doesnt show the xml tags. it only shows plain text. where as in editable mode it shows everything..

Ianko
Telerik team
answered on 06 Aug 2015, 06:26 AM
Hello Teja,

I have already answered your question here—http://www.telerik.com/forums/radeditor-cannot-upload-documents#Hkw-KS63KES1ilOGO37hXQ. If there are further matters than needs clarification, please, send us a ticket via our ticketing system, or open a new forum thread, where this to be further discussed.

Regards,
Ianko
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
Editor
Asked by
John Dillon
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rumen
Telerik team
John Dillon
Top achievements
Rank 1