This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Binding Data

5 Answers 58 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mark asked on 28 Oct 2015, 04:20 PM

Hello.  I'm probably missing something really simple but I'm having problems with binding data.  I have created a simple excel file with 4 fields in row 1 with the data in row 2:

UserID Password      Topic       XML
MyID  MyPassword1 MYTopic <SOURCE>

I then clicked the Add -> Excel File option and then pointed to the file I created above which seemed to work fine.  When I click on the Manage Data Source option I can see my file.  I then clicked the BIND Test option.  I selected my file but nothing shows up in the Select Table drop-down or the Preview box (see attached).  Can you please let me know what I'm missing?  I aplogize if this is an easy question but I have been asked to evaulate the tool for my management and this is the first hurdle I have come across.

Thank You.

Mark Anderson

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 28 Oct 2015, 06:33 PM
Hello,

This problem only seems to happen when trying to use .XLSX files. The older .XLS format doesn't seem to have this problem. You should be able to solve it by following these directions.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

The New Release of Telerik Test Studio Is Here! Download, install,
and send us your feedback!
Kristin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Dec 2015, 04:54 PM

Binding an xls file to a test fails on a compare validation on a date field. Test studio is reading a time stamp on the date field that is not formatted as such. How to get around this? My spreadsheet has the date field formatted as xx/xx/xxxx.

Cell text verification failed
Expected: '5/27/2015 12:00:00 AM', Comparison: 'Contains', Actual: '05/27/2015'.

Cody
Telerik team
answered on 02 Dec 2015, 05:50 PM
Hi Mark,

Test Studio uses ADO.net for pulling the data out of the Excel file. It's actually ADO.net that is doing the date and time conversion before Test Studio even gets the data. Fortunately it's easy to work around this. By applying a special format to that cell in the Excel file it will be treated as a raw string instead of a date and time. See the attached screenshot for an example how to do this.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Kristin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Dec 2015, 07:43 PM
Clearing the field of content and then setting the field type to 'text' worked - thank you.
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 03 Dec 2015, 02:46 AM
Hi,

I am glad to hear you found a workable solution. Thank you for the update.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by