This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

A Few Questions...

3 Answers 101 Views
Book
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
Ben Hayat asked on 10 Nov 2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Kiril, I like to ask you a few questions:

a) There is a Property called "ShadowVisibilty". Can you tell me where this shadow is supposed to appear?
b) Between the two pages, in the center folding area, is there a way that we can change this shading in Blend (different color)?
c) Can you show us how we can span an image between two pages, and how we can have one FrameworkElement, i.e. HTMLEditor to span between two pages on the top of the image?
d) Is there a plan to have "Chapters/Sections" for the book? If yes, will be able to have a "Table of Contents" for those chapters? If yes, it would be great if the "Table of Contents" can be viewed at anytime like a popup window, so the user can jump to different section!

Thanks!
..Ben

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik team
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Ben,

a) The ShadowsVisibility is reserved for future use. It would probably control the visibility of all the shadows in the book i.e. if you set ShadowsVisibility="Collapsed" there will be no shadows whatsoever. Does this sound feasible? What's you opinion?

b) If your book is populated with RadBookItems(defined in XAML), you can easily edit the ControlTemplate in Blend and modify the shadows to your preference. If your book is bound, you will have to use the ItemContainerStyle of RadBook. A sample project demonstrating how to use ItemContainerStyle, LeftPageTemplate and RightPageTemplate is being attached.

c) Currently this functionality is not supported. In the example where you thought the content span across two pages, there was actually one image sliced into two - one half given to the left page and the other half given to the right page. I am sorry we mislead you. We plan to support spanning content on two pages, but I cannot guarantee when it will be available.

d) Couldn't this functionality be achieved using RightPageIndex or you have something else in mind? In my opinion, I think it is better to let the user of RadBook(the developer) provide his/her own implementation of chapters/sections logic, because I don't think there is only one correct way to do that. One's understanding of chapters/sections might be different than other's. Also, trying to cover most scenarios regarding this feature would unnecessary probably bloat the dll file.

Let me know what's your opinion on the matter and thanks for the interesting comments and suggestions. Keep the great feedback up.

Best wishes,
Kiril Stanoev
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 03:32 PM
Hi Kiril;

a) The ShadowsVisibility is reserved for future use. It would probably control the visibility of all the shadows in the book i.e. if you set ShadowsVisibility="Collapsed" there will be no shadows whatsoever. Does this sound feasible? What's you opinion?

Having a master switch sounds interesting and useful, instead of manually turning off one at a time. Especially through programmatically! I see good use to that.

A sample project demonstrating how to use ItemContainerStyle, LeftPageTemplate and RightPageTemplate is being attached.
Nothing is attached!

In the example where you thought the content span across two pages, there was actually one image sliced into two - one half given to the left page and the other half given to the right page.
Man, I can't believe you pulled that on me. Must have been those pics got me blind

I am sorry we mislead you.
Sure did :-) Next time your selling a Porsche, I better check to make sure you didn't put a ford engine in there :-)

d) Couldn't this functionality be achieved using RightPageIndex or you have something else in mind? In my opinion, I think it is better to let the user of RadBook(the developer) provide his/her own implementation of chapters/sections logic, because I don't think there is only one correct way to do that. One's understanding of chapters/sections might be different than other's. Also, trying to cover most scenarios regarding this feature would unnecessary probably bloat the dll file.
I'm going to reserve my comment on this until later on and then we'll discuss further when I have better information to go over!

Let me know what's your opinion on the matter and thanks for the interesting comments and suggestions. Keep the great feedback up.
Well, you've done a great job for V1 and deserves the attention.

BTW, could you please offer some docs for SP1? Especially about Template selector and the philosophy behind it!
Thanks!

Accepted
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik team
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 03:37 PM
Hello Ben,

Sorry for the attachment. Something might have gone wrong in the process. As for the documentation, there will definitely be more help topics with the SP1 release. I'll keep you updated.

All the best,
Kiril Stanoev
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
Book
Asked by
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Kiril Stanoev
Telerik team
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2