Carey and I wanted to thank you all for attending the “Tuning into XAML – What’s new in WPF/SL, WP8 and Windows 8 XAML” webinar. As always, everyone is excited about XAML and is interested in how they can use our controls to extend their XAML apps.
As we promised in the webinar, the slides, source code and recorded video are now available for you to enjoy. If you have any questions, then feel free to leave a comment below.
Slides, Source Code and the Recorded Webinar Video.
WHAT DID WE COVER?
We had 60 minutes, but managed to cover all the XAML goodness!
For WPF/SL, we began by talking about EQATEC Application Analytics which is a simple way to monitor and track mobile, web and desktop applications at run-time, 24/7. We also talked about the added support of Coded UI Testing Levels 2 and 3, the new Office 2013 Themes available and RadSpreadsheet going official.
On the Windows Phone 8 front, we covered Cloud Login which support authentication with many popular social network accounts. Cloud Calendar which comes a calendar, agenda and appointment view, Cloud Developer Center which allows you to get feedback from your application users and send them notifications, Cloud Data Sync which now support Azure mobile service and our DataBoundListBox now support Pinterest layout. We wrapped up with an overview of Everlive which is Telerik’s complete mobile app back-end that makes your mobile app development time faster, easier and more scalable.
Continuing with Windows 8 XAML, we covered RadMap which is in CTP that allows you to visualize rich spatial data and supports ESRI shapefiles and their associated attributes files, RadRadialMenu which offers a convenient spherical space-saving toolbar that provides an enhanced experience especially on touch devices, RadRangeSlider which allows your user to select a range of values. We also provided a quick enhancement on the IndexSupport in C# Data Storage, Incremental loading in RadGrid and that we are Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013 ready.
After that we wrapped up with resources and a live Q&A.
Image by Rajiv Patel
Before we get into the Q&A, we would encourage you to leave feedback on any new control or feature at http://feedback.telerik.com.
- Does Windows 8 support the same cloud synchronization framework found in Windows Phone? No, it does not at the moment.
- Are the Windows controls 8.1 ready? Yes! Download them now to test them out in your apps. Radmap is the only exception to this. It works in 8.0 only.
- Is RadRadialMenu available for WP8, WPF or any other platform? It is available for Windows 8 XAML and HTML only.
- Can you use the Social Login control without a subscription to Everlive? No, you will need an EverLive subscription to use it, but the starter edition is free.
- Is Twitter supported for the Social Login control for WP8? Not at the moment, please add it to the feedback portal.
- Does your WPF controls work with Windows 7? Yes!
- Regarding EQATEC Application Analytics, what happens if no internet connection is present? If an internet connection goes missing, EQATEC Analytics’ data-loss protection stores data locally on the device until a connection is available. The service architecture scales well and easily handles thousands of software installations. All this translates to comprehensive user data with zero data loss. http://www.telerik.com/analytics
- Is EQATEC available for WP8 apps? Yes! Check out http://www.telerik.com/analytics
- Do you lose functionality by upgrading your apps to the latest version? No, all of the features in previous releases are retained, you will gain functionality by upgrading. Including new controls shown today!
Hopefully you’ve seen here just how quickly and easily you can use Telerik’s RadControls for XAML in your next application. Also, tell us what you want to see in the future. Whether it is new controls, additional features or content based off of existing controls, drop a comment in this post. We are always excited to hear from our customers and really appreciate the feedback.
Last but not least, don’t forget to download your own copy of the WPF/SL, Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8 control suite right now!