Create the Class Library for the Reports
To create even simple reports you start by creating a class library
to contain your report and a web, windows or Silverlight application to display the report.
It is possible to put the report definition and viewer in the
same application but this route is not recommended. See this topic
on best practices
for more information.
- Select File | New | Project from
the Visual Studio File menu. Select the Class Library
project, give it a name and location. Click the OK button to close
- Right-click the project context menu and select Add
| New Item | Telerik Report. Enter a name for the report
class and click the Add button to close the dialog.
In this example we name the report class file "ProductList.cs".
- The Telerik Report Wizard will appear automatically to help you
select data and design your report quickly. Once you have the basic
report layout you can go back to edit the report, add data columns
and tweak the format. Click the Next button.
- On the Report Choice Page of the Report
Wizard, select New Report and click the Next
- On the Choose Data Source page of the
Report Wizard, select Add New Data Source.
- The DataSource Wizard is started. Select the SqlDataSource component
icon and click the OK button.
- On the Choose Your Data Connection page
select a connection for the AdventureWorks database from the drop
down list. If there is no existing connection, choose a data provider and click
Browse to create a new connection.
When done click the Next button.
- The Save the Connection String step
appears, where you can save the connection string in the application
configuration file if you want with the name you want. Click Next.
- The Configure Data Source Command
step will display next.
- Click the Query Builder button.
- In the Add Table dialog select
"Product", "ProductInventory", "ProductPhoto" and "ProductProductPhoto"
from the list of tables. Note: You can hold down the control key
and click each of the tables to select them all at one time.
- Click the Add button to close
- On the Query Builder select
the fields shown in the figure below. In the Product
table select "Name", "ProductNumber" and "ReorderPoint".
In ProductPhoto select the "ThumbNailPhoto" column.
In the ProductInventory table select the "Quantity"
- Click the OK button to
close the dialog.
- The Configure Data Source Command
step would show the generated statement. Clicking the
Next button would lead you to
the Preview Data Source Results
step, where you can preview the data. Click finish to return
to the Choose Data Source page
of the Report Wizard. On the next page choose
Standard Report Type and click the
- The Design Data Layout page
of the Report Wizard allows you to assign database fields
to sections of the report. The Report Wizard automatically
places and formats the database fields in the appropriate
- Select from the Available Fields
list on the left side of the page.
- Select "Name", "ProductNumber", "ReorderPoint"
- After selecting each field, click the
Detail button to add those
columns to the detail listing of the report.
- Click the Next button.
- On the Choose Report Layout
page of the Report Wizard unselect the Adjust
report items to fit available space checkbox.
Click the Next button.
- On the Choose Report Style
page of the Report Wizard select "Civic" from the
Style Sheets list on the left
side of the page. Notice the style changes in the Preview
portion on the right side of the page.
- On the Completing the Wizard page of the Report
Wizard you can review the settings for the report and
click the Finish button
The initial report layout appears in the design view in Visual Studio.
Notice that the wizard has automatically provided:
- Data bound fields in the detail section of the report.
- Styled page and column titles.
- A page footer with standard date and page number output.
- Rebuild the project.
- Click the Preview tab of the designer to view your report.
From here you can:
To learn more about displaying your report in a viewer see the
Reports in the Windows Viewer Quickstart.