This topic will extend the example Creating a Simple Report to show several unique Telerik Reporting features including:
- In Place Editing.
- Copying and pasting styles.
- Conditional formatting.
- Navigating and sizing report items.
- Resizing report sections.
- Adding Text, Shape and PictureBox report items to the report designer.
- Using the Data Explorer.
- Using the Report Explorer.
Use the report design created in Creating a Simple Report as a starting point.
- Double click the "ProductList" TextBox report item in the report header. This will activate
the "in place" editor, allowing you to enter text right in the designer without having to find the
appropriate property in the Property Window. Add a space so the TextBox reads "Product List".
- Zoom to 150% from the Zoom Combo Box
in the lower left corner of the design surface. From the ToolBox
window drag a TextBox item to the report
header just to the right of the "Quantity" column. While dragging the TextBox, the
Snap Lines will aid you in positioning it so it aligns
nicely with its neighbours. Double-click the TextBox
and enter "Reorder".
- Select the "Quantity" TextBox and copy the style rule applied in the StyleName property. Select the "Reorder" field and paste the style rule in its StyleName property.
- In these next steps you define a circle Shape item that reacts to changes in the data
so that when inventory falls below 50% of the "reorder point" quantity the circle will be
filled in red.
From the ToolBox window drag a
Shape item to the detail section just below the "Reorder"
column. In the Properties window set the Size.Width
property to ".1" and the Size.Height property to ".1". Right click the
Shape item and select Conditional Formatting
from the context menu.
- The Conditional Formatting Rules dialog will display.
- Click the New Rule button.
- The Edit Formatting Rule dialog will display.
- Click the New button to create a rule. Use the drop down lists to set Expression to Fields.Quantity, Operator to "<" and Value to "<Expression>". When you select "<Expression>" the Edit Expression dialog displays. This dialog allows you to select from predefined data (i.e. constants, database fields, report parameters, etc.) and create an expression with them.
- Select Fields from the list on the bottom right of the dialog.
- Double-click "ReorderPoint" from the bottom middle list to add it to the expression.
- Add to the expression at the top of the dialog so the complete expression reads "= Fields.ReorderPoint * .5". This rule will fire when the quantity of a product falls below half of the ReorderPoint value. Click OK to close the Edit Expression dialog.
- On the Edit Formatting Rule dialog click the Style button to display the Style Builder dialog.
- Click Background from the list on the left and select "Red" from the Background Color drop down list.
- Click OK to close the dialog.Click OK twice more to close the remaining rule dialogs.
- Press F6 to build the report.
- Click the Preview button to display the report.
Scroll through the data and notice that the "Quantity" values that are below 50% of the
"Reorder point" are displayed in red.
- The last set of steps to building this report design add an image item to the
report and format the page footer. These last steps also use the
and the Report Explorer.
From the Telerik Reporting menu
select the Data Explorer.
- Select the "ThumbNailPhoto" column from the
list and drag it to the detail section of the report designer, just to the right of the "Reorder" column.
Notice that this step automatically creates a
PictureBox report item.
- After dropping the ThumbNailPhoto the DetailSection will be automatically resized to
accommodate the entire PictureBox item:
- The Report Explorer
provides a hierarchical view of all the report sections and items in the report design. This allows
you to easily locate items that might otherwise be difficult to find in a visually complex report.
From the Telerik
Reporting menu select the Report Explorer.
- Click "pageFooterSection1" to select the report page footer.
- In the Properties window set the Style.BackgroundColor
property to "LightGray".
- Rebuild the project.
- Click the Preview button to view the report. Scroll through
the report pages to find records that have images.