In cases where you have an existing database schema that you would like to use within an application, use the Reverse Engineering Wizard, which is a graphical tool that can be used to generate or update classes based on tables from an existing schema.
Some of the features provided by this tool are:
- Classes are generated in .NET supported languages. Currently it supports C# and VB projects. The code generation is completely based on user changeable template files.
- Tables can be reverse engineered to classes, collections - 1:m, m:n and maps. Tables and columns can also be ignored.
- Schema changes can be made as per your requirements and can be migrated to the existing mapping using the "Merge Schema Changes" feature, thereby keeping the class model and schema in sync.
- Invalid and erroneous mappings are detected and appropriate messages are shown.
- You can preview the code that will be generated. This preview updates immediately to reflect any changes that you make. Various changes can be made, such as changing the mapping for a value field, adding a 1:m or m:n collection field in a class.
- Object references are automatically generated for Foreign Key constraints between tables. They can be adjusted inside the wizard.
- You can use an already defined sequence column as a key generator. If a sequence column is present in a database it is automatically detected.
||Before using the Reverse Mapping wizard you should enable your project to work with OpenAccess ORM.|
The purpose of this section is to provide a detailed information about the Reverse Mapping wizard. The following topics are included:
Schema Merge Dialog