This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Wishlist

4 Answers 71 Views
PivotGrid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rajan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rajan asked on 05 Sep 2015, 03:23 PM

I have posted a few of my observations in other threads and a support ticket.

I would like to have this thread discuss the kendo pivotgrid wishlist to track the discussions linearly.

We certainly need a few enhancements to kendo pivotgrid.

Filter area - we have only row and column and data area now.

Improved cell info on click - All member is misleading when only some members are chosen in the row/column filter.

Ability to hide All row/column

Non empty members in the row/column/filter filters - currently all dimension members seem to be shown when we open the member list in row/column filters

Title, subtitle, filter/report context textbox, logo and other decorations specified natively  in pivotgrid definition - this will improve report format on web and on Excel and PDF export.

Faster pivotgrid - grid performance should be analyzed using a large cube dataset. We have 1 TB cube. I am not sure how kendo pivotgrid will perform on it.

Ability to declare Custom measures not in the data source (cube for eg.)

Support for MDX TopCount - we  want  to get Top Employees, Top Cost Centers, etc.

Pagination

Custom MDX support - after running custom MDX we should be able to make other modifications.

Custom list of dimensions and attributes in the configurator - we do not want to show all the dimensions and attributes in the cube all the time 

See DevExpress pivotgrid for feature set.

​

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Georgi Krustev
Telerik team
answered on 09 Sep 2015, 07:36 AM
Hello Rajan,

thank you for sharing your observations and for the feature requests. 

In general, we ask our users to open a specific UserVoice discussions about most of the feature requests, as thus we can gather a valuable community feedback. This is the preferred way to make our future roadmaps. That being said, would it be possible to open specific discussions for each feature request where the people can vote?

As to the particular requests, please find my comments below:

Filter area - we have only row and column and data area now.

This definitely is a valid request and the "filter area" functionality is pretty useful. We will consider that feature for some of our future Kendo UI releases.

Improved cell info on click - All member is misleading when only some members are chosen in the row/column filter.

In general, the cell info brings information about the related columns and rows tuples along with current measure. Indeed, we do not provide information whether the cell is "All" or not. For now you can detect that using the ".k-alt" CSS class check:
//cell is $("td") element
var isAllCell = cell.hasClass("k-alt");

Ability to hide All row/column

For this functionality, we will need to re-write our current rendering. That being said, in order to justify rendering re-write we will need to see what is the community interest about it.

Non empty members in the row/column/filter filters

Currently, we request only non-empty values. Nevertheless, when we render the XMLA result, we need to populate any wholes in the data. This is requires in order to output correctly offset values in the grid. Basically, the cube can return non-empty result where the whole column/row is missing and columns/rows where only some cells are empty. In the second case, we will need to populate those wholes. Let me know if I am missing something here.

Title, subtitle, filter/report context textbox, logo and other decorations specified natively  in pivotgrid definition - this will improve report format on web and on Excel and PDF export.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? Would it be possible to accomplish the desired decoration with the current available PivotGrid templates?

Faster pivotgrid - grid performance should be analyzed using a large cube dataset.

In general, the rendering performance is directly related to the amount of HTML/cells that the user wants to see. The most slow point in the rendering chain is the DOM and we would not be able to render thousands cells without see any rendering delay. Nevertheless, we will further review the current implementation and will try to "squeeze" some rendering improvements.

Ability to declare Custom measures not in the data source (cube for eg.)

This is possible when client cube is used. With SSAS widget does not allow to define custom measures. Do you need to define custom measures that should be applied on the client after the XMLA result is returned?

Support for MDX TopCount 

We will consider that. For now you can access the generated MDX and modify it manually to accomplish your custom business requests:
Pagination

Currently, we consume the SSAS response directly. Probably I am missing something, but the cube itself does not have a real pagination that we can use directly. If we need to support pagination then we will need to create a special service, which we cannot justify for the time being.

Custom MDX support - after running custom MDX we should be able to make other modifications.

As I mentioned, you can access the generated MDX and modify it.

Custom list of dimensions and attributes in the configurator

Currently, you can accomplish this task, filtering the TreeView widget. Check this Dojo demo which shows how to access the TreeView widget and its datasource:
I would like once again to thank you for the opening the discussion, as this will help to improve the Kendo UI PivotGrid. As I mentioned in the beginning, it will be very nice of you if you can open UserVoice discussions on the features as thus we will be able to gather feedback for them.

Regards,
Georgi Krustev
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Rajan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Sep 2015, 12:44 PM

cell.hasClass("k-alt") does not indicate row grandtotal cell ( in the bottom row.) It seems work for column grandtotals. It does not distinguish between column grandtotal and grand grandtotal ( bottom right).

​

When you click on a row/column filter and click 'include members', only Non empty members should be shown. Currently all the members in the dimension attribute is shown.

I  have not checked out pivotgrid templates.  Study Highcharts to understand what I mean by title, subtitle, etc. In general I would like pivotgrid to also behave like a reporting tool.  In fact it is an adhoc reporting tool.  Providing facilities to nicely format the report is not a bad idea.

A few refinements that I am indicating here will go a long way in making kendo pivotgrid quite usable.  

See DevExpress ASPxPivotgrid also for a large number of builtin features.

You can copy my posts to UserInvoice forum if desired. 

Georgi Krustev
Telerik team
answered on 11 Sep 2015, 10:20 AM
Hello Rajan,

thank you for the clarification.

For every interested, I would suggest visit PivotGrid discussions opened in our UserVoice portal and cast their vote for any desired feature:
Regards,
Georgi Krustev
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Rajan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Sep 2015, 01:54 PM

I have posted some of my wishlist items in user community forum.

In general we need functionality as in Excel pivotgrid.  

We should be able to do drilldown and drillthrough even in the  presence of multselect items in the filters.  

Pagination is also important.

Tags
PivotGrid
Asked by
Rajan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Georgi Krustev
Telerik team
Rajan
Top achievements