What is new with Q3 2008 release?

11 posts, 0 answers
  1. Eric Schoenholzer
    Eric Schoenholzer avatar
    138 posts

Posted 07 Nov 2008 Link to this post

My application has stopped working. 

I get an error like "Transition Target property have to be Panel object. Please set Transition Target to Panel !" or "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I use now "service.Navigate("Page");"

The problem is, that there no information what has changed between this and the last release.

The help has no pratical information, the examples reference the Telerik Site without source code.

Any information or examples available? It seems Telerik was in hurry to push the Q3 release.

Thanks

Eric

2. Valentin.Stoychev
    Admin
    Valentin.Stoychev avatar
    2198 posts

Posted 10 Nov 2008 Link to this post

Hello EricSch,

Thank you for pointing this out. We will update the online samples to provide a downloads for them.

As of Q3 release the target of the page transition should inherit from Panel. Is suppose that in your application you are setting as a RootVisial a UserControl, or a RadPage. Now the recommended way is to set a RadFrameContainer element as a RootVisual and to load the start page directly in the frame container. See the following code:

private void Application_Startup(object sender, StartupEventArgs e)  
            {  

this.RootVisual = new RadFrameContainer();  
                NavigationService service = NavigationService.GetNavigationService(this.RootVisual);  

service.Navigate(new LandingPage());  
            } 

Please let us know if this is the problem in your scenario.

Best Regards,
    Valentin.Stoychev
    the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
  3. DevCraft banner
  4. Eric Schoenholzer
    Eric Schoenholzer avatar
    138 posts

Thanks Valentin,

Then I souldn't use anymore a RadPage (inside a RadFrameContainer) ?
    What type has the "LandingPage"?

And why the syntax 'service.Navigate("LandingPage");'  doesn't work anymore?
    Needs the "LandingPage" to be preloaded or available in the history?

Thanks
    Eric
  5. Eric Schoenholzer
    Eric Schoenholzer avatar
    138 posts

>> The problem is, that there no information what has changed between this and the last release.

I found the relase notes here:
    http://www.telerik.com/products/silverlight/whats-new/release-history/q3-2008-version-number-2008-03-1105.aspx

But the link in the download section shows to the wrong place:
    http://www.telerik.com/ReleaseHistory.aspx?Id=571

Thanks
    Eric
  6. Valentin.Stoychev
    Admin
    Valentin.Stoychev avatar
    2198 posts

Posted 11 Nov 2008 Link to this post

Hi Eric,

thank you for the reported "broken" links - we will update the site.

LandingPage is just the name of the page that I used as an example. It can be any Control that inherits from RadPage.

>> And why the syntax 'service.Navigate("LandingPage");'  doesn't work anymore?

It should work. Do you have a sample where this is not working? Basically the service will try to find a class with that name "LandingPage" inside the current assembly and will try to instantiate it. If this is not working then maybe the name of the class is wrong?

All the best,
    Valentin.Stoychev
    the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
  7. Eric Schoenholzer
    Eric Schoenholzer avatar
    138 posts

Posted 11 Nov 2008 Link to this post

Hi Valentin,

>>It should work. Do you have a sample where this is not working?

I have changed it to 
    service.Navigate(new ClassName()); 
    and its working now.

>>Basically the service will try to find a class with that name "LandingPage" inside the current assembly and will try to instantiate it.
    >>If this is not working then maybe the name of the class is wrong?

The same code has worked before the Q3 Release. I will try to submit a support request with the sample code.

Thanks
    Eric
  8. Valentin.Stoychev
    Admin
    Valentin.Stoychev avatar
    2198 posts

Posted 12 Nov 2008 Link to this post

Hello EricSch,

Thanks for the project - we will research the problem and will let you know!

Best wishes,
    Valentin.Stoychev
    the Telerik team

9. Eric Schoenholzer
    Eric Schoenholzer avatar
    138 posts

Posted 13 Nov 2008 Link to this post

Is there now somewhere a link for downloading the sample code?

Thanks
    Eric
  10. Serrin
    Serrin avatar
    286 posts

Posted 14 Nov 2008 Link to this post

Yeah, any sample code would be great, I click the link on the Navigation demo but it brings me to the Telerik.com homepage, and all the examples in the download point right to that demo. :D
  11. Danny Joe
    Danny Joe avatar
    6 posts

Posted 17 Nov 2008 Link to this post

The download link on the page navigation demo is still broken. It goes to the home page and not the source for the demo. So there is currently no example for page navigation and docs have no API reference, making it very difficult to know how to set properties and work with the control.
  12. Nikolay
    Admin
    Nikolay avatar
    3997 posts

Posted 20 Nov 2008 Link to this post

Hi Danny Joe,

We will upload the source code of the example under the client.net accounts shortly. Thus, you will be able to download the code from your account.

All the best,
    Nick
    the Telerik team

DevCraft banner