This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2017 Test Explorer not discovering tests

5 Answers 101 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Jon asked on 06 Jul 2017, 04:50 PM

Hello,

I recently posted about problems with installing the Test Studio plugin for VS2017. I have successfully installed the plugin now and most everything seems to be working. Except one thing.

I no longer have tests in my test explorer. With the test explorer, I was able to debug my tests by setting breakpoints in my coded steps and stepping through them. This was an extremely useful feature I use extensively.

I have reinstalled the plugin, cleared my VS cache folders and my Temp folder, installed a couple unit test runners but nothing is getting the tests to show up in the Test Explorer.

Any ideas on why the tests won't show up?

Thanks,

Jon

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Elena
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jul 2017, 10:58 AM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for contacting us. 

Please double check which are the Telerik extensions installed in VS 2017 from Tools -> Extensions and Updates.... (please refer to the screenshot as well). The highlighted one - TestAdapter - is the corresponding one which lack could lead to the described behavior. 

In case not all extensions are installed please remove Test Studio from Control Panel and perform a fresh install again. 

Please keep me posted in case anything goes wrong. Thank you for your cooperation! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
Test Studio Trainings

Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 11 Jul 2017, 09:17 PM

Elena,

I have confirmed that the TestAdapter Extension is installed. I have just attempted uninstalling and reinstalling via the .msi installer and confirmed again that is being installed correctly. This does not seem to be the issue.

Thanks,

Jon

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jul 2017, 12:38 PM
Hello Jon,

Thanks for your continuous cooperation. 

Could you please double check if the Telerik.TestStudio.VSExtension.TestAdapter.dll could be found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\Extensions. It should be there actually. 

Then start please the VS2017 console and pass the following command: 
vstest.console.exe /ListDiscoverers /UseVsixExtensions:true

along with: 
Telerik.TestStudio.TestAdapter.TestDiscoverer
Default Executor Uri: executor://telerikteststudiotestadapter/v1
Supported File Types: .tstest, .aii

Please let me know if this will allow you see the tests in the test explorer. Thanks! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 02 Aug 2017, 02:17 PM

Elena, 

Sorry for the late reply.Unfortunately that did not work. I saw the output in the console as you posted above, but after running the command and restarting, I still cannot see tests in the test explorer. Any other ideas?

Jon

Ivaylo
Telerik team
answered on 07 Aug 2017, 01:38 PM
Hello Jon,

Let me interject into this ticket as Elena is out of the office.
Could you please let me know whether you build the project after opening in VS 2017? Sorry I am asking this question but it is not clear from the previous conversation.

Also is it possible to provide us with the project so we can open it on VS2017 and take a look?

Regards,
Ivaylo
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Elena
Telerik team
Jon
Top achievements