This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2012 Device Simulator Crashes on Save

10 Answers 43 Views
AppBuilder extension for Visual Studio
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Matt
Top achievements
Rank 1
Matt asked on 26 Oct 2013, 03:34 PM
When I save an HTML file with even a minor change and the device simulator is running, it crashes.  It doesn't crash Visual Studio, but is very annoying.

10 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 28 Oct 2013, 01:44 PM
Hello Matt,

We will need a little more information to be able to isolate the problem. Could you try to create a new blank project and check if the simulator crashes when updating. If it works as expected, could you try to isolate the code that causes the crash in a sample project and send it to us?

Alternatively, you could wait for our next release that should be live in the coming days and let us know if the problem persists with the new version.

Please excuse us for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik
You've missed the Icenium Visual Studio Integration keynote? It has been recorded and posted here.
Looking for tips & tricks directly from the Icenium team? Check out our blog!
Share feedback and vote for features on our Feedback Portal.
Matt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Oct 2013, 01:38 AM
I just created a new mobile app with the following code.  Adding data-role="" will cause it to crash.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
     <meta charset="utf-8" />
</head>
     <body>
          <div id="view-login">
               Login
          </div>
     </body>
</html>

Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 30 Oct 2013, 09:52 AM
Hello Matt,

We were unable to reproduce your problem with the provided instructions. As we are fairly close to releasing a new version that will offer improved stability and better error handling, I would suggest that you temporarily remove the data-role="" assignments and let us know if you still experience issues after the update.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik
You've missed the Icenium Visual Studio Integration keynote? It has been recorded and posted here.
Matt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Oct 2013, 11:58 PM
I just updated and it's still crashing.  I have ReSharper, VMware, and Red-Gate SQL Prompt.

Here's the output:

[2013-10-31 19:54:13.726] Log (Exception,High): System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Source\Github\Test\index.html' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at Telerik.BlackDragon.Client.Simulator.Services.ExecuteProcessors.LocalUrlRequestProcessor.#ayd(String #Wld, Boolean #byd)
   at Telerik.BlackDragon.Client.Simulator.Services.ExecuteProcessors.LocalUrlRequestProcessor.#E4d(String #F4d)
   at Telerik.BlackDragon.Client.Simulator.Services.ExecuteProcessors.LocalUrlRequestProcessor.#D4d(String #K6c)
   at Telerik.BlackDragon.Client.Simulator.Services.ExecuteProcessors.LocalUrlRequestProcessor.#C4d(String #K6c)
   at Telerik.BlackDragon.Client.Simulator.Services.ExecuteProcessors.LocalUrlRequestProcessor.HandleRequest(String requestUrl)
   at Telerik.BlackDragon.Client.Simulator.Services.SimulatorLoadService.OnRequestResource(Object #Y5b, RequestResourceEventArgs #r9b)
   at Telerik.BlackDragon.Client.Modules.WebBrowser.WebBrowser.RaiseRequestResource(RequestResourceEventArgs eventArgs)
   at Telerik.BlackDragon.Client.Modules.WebBrowser.WebBrowser.OnRequestResource(IWebBrowser browserControl, IRequestResponse requestResponse)
   at CefSharp.Wpf.WebViewEx.raise_RequestResource(IWebBrowser value0, IRequestResponse value1)
   at CefSharp.Wpf.WebViewEx.OnRequestResource(IWebBrowser browserControl, IRequestResponse requestResponse)
   at CefSharp.Wpf.WebViewEx.OnBeforeResourceLoad(IWebBrowser browser, IRequestResponse requestResponse)
   at CefSharp.ClientAdapter.OnBeforeResourceLoad(ClientAdapter* , CefRefPtr<CefBrowser>* browser, CefRefPtr<CefRequest>* request, CefStringBase<CefStringTraitsUTF16>* redirectUrl, CefRefPtr<CefStreamReader>* resourceStream, CefRefPtr<CefResponse>* response, Int32 loadFlags)
[2013-10-31 19:54:14.998] Log (Exception,High):
Timo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Nov 2013, 08:31 AM
I'm having the exact same problem. It appears to be happening randomly though.

I just removed the doctype line from a .html file and the simulator crashes. This is also with the new version
Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 01 Nov 2013, 08:36 AM
Hello Matt,

Apparently, some other process has locked the index.html file and the simulator is unable to access it. You could try restarting your PC or using a 3rd party tool, like Unlocker to unlock the files in your project folder.

Let me know if you continue to experience this issue.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik
Matt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2013, 05:41 AM
I tried this and it doesn't show any process having a lock.  Maybe it's locking at the exact same time the plugin is trying to access it.

I'm running:
Windows 8.1
VS Pro 2012 Update 3

Also note the exact same crash happens in Icenium Graphite.
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 06 Nov 2013, 07:35 AM
Hi Matt,

Can you give us the stack trace from Graphite and the name of your project, so we can test locally. I would have suggested disabling Visual Studio extensions temporarily to test, but if it happens with Graphite as well, it is unlikely they are involved.

On a side note, does the same problem occur on another machine with your project? We want to rule out the possibility of this being a local problem. Are there any errors in the Windows event logs related to Graphite or Icenium extension for Visual Studio?

Regards,
Steve
Telerik
Accepted
Matt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Nov 2013, 12:12 AM
Finally figured out what the issue was.  Windows Defender was scanning the file at the same time the Simulator was trying to access it (thank you Process Monitor).

Disabling Windows Defender fixed the problem.
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 08 Nov 2013, 03:48 PM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing this with the community, although it is not reproducible on our end!

Regards,
Steve
Telerik
Tags
AppBuilder extension for Visual Studio
Asked by
Matt
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nikola
Telerik team
Matt
Top achievements
Rank 1