This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2010 Toolbox chaos

4 Answers 107 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Martin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Martin asked on 02 May 2012, 08:17 AM
Hi! Sometime last year I installed Telerik Winforms Controls, and all worked fine. But then came the updates, and since then it's total chaos. In the toolbox are controls missing, although they're checked in the chooser. Other controls appear 2, 3 or even 4 times in the toolbox. And what's worse; I'm getting error messages such as these all the time:
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
Cannot find type Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Design.RadThemeDesignerDataAttribute in module Telerik.WinControls.dll.
Can I uninstall the whole thing and is there a download that allows me to re-install everything INCLUDING all updates in one go?

Hoping for a solution, because I'm getting pretty desperate...
Martin

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 07 May 2012, 07:46 AM

Hello Martin,

Thank you for contacting us and sorry for the delayed reply.

This is a known issue, which we recently fixed and the fix will be included in our next major release - Q2 2012. It is observed when Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Office2010Black.dll is added to the GAC by VSExtensions upgrade wizard. Prior to  2011 Q3 Release, version 2011.3.11.1116, the mentioned assembly was needed in GAC,  but after that release it is not. That's why, fixing this issue goes through removing this dll file from Global Assembly Cache.

Here are the steps to follow for fixing the toolbox issue:

1. Close all Visual Studio instances and run Visual Studio Command Prompt
2. Run the following command: gacutil -u Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Office2010Black
3. Start Visual Studio and launch the Toolbox configurator
4. Choose the distribution you would like to upgrade to.
5. Add Telerik.WinControls.UI.Design.dll assembly to GAC using the gacutil.exe

Regarding the error messages, I hope they will be gone, once the toolbox issue is fixed.

I hope this will help.

Regards,
Aylin,
the Telerik team

RadControls for WinForms Q1'12 release is now live! Check out what's new or download a free trial >>
Pauli
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 May 2012, 08:57 AM
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 14 May 2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Pauli,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear that the TelerikToolboxCleaner fixed the toolbox issue.

All the best,
VSXTeam Aylin
the Telerik team
RadControls for WinForms Q1'12 release is now live! Check out what's new or download a free trial >>
TonyG
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Jun 2012, 08:47 PM
I just posted a note to another thread where we're discussing control duplication in the toolbox.
The issue (in my case) was due to a hotfix version of the Office2010Black assembly throwing an exception during toolbox load.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Martin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Aylin
Telerik team
Pauli
Top achievements
Rank 2