This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2010 Beta 2 + Q3 Silverlight Tools

22 Answers 402 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Steven Nesbit
Top achievements
Rank 1
Steven Nesbit asked on 05 Nov 2009, 01:53 PM

I have both 2008 and 2010 on Windows 7.   When I try to add the tools to a group in VS2010,  It fails.  I am able to add a .dll like ribbon bar to a project, but I can't get the VS2010 drag/drop tools to be added for silverlight. 

Get Message:

"Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Windows.Cotnrols, Version=2009.3.1103.1030, Culture=neutral,
      PublicKeyToken-5803cfa389c90ce7' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

How can I get this to work? Please....

22 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sergio Sisternes
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2009, 05:55 PM
Same issue.

I am developing my final degree work with .NET Silverlight 3, VS 2010 Beta 2 and I am not able to add Telerik Rad controls to Toolbar with message 'Could not load file or assembly' Telerik.WIndows.Controls, Version=2009.3.1103.1030, Culture=neutral,...' or one of its dependencies. El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado (System could not find specified file)'.

All references has been added to the project and are right.
Kenneth Jamieson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Nov 2009, 01:14 AM

I love the Telerick controls, and the company - but this delay in being VS2010 ready is forcing me to reccomend to clients that we not use them for new projects. There is an inherant danger in relying on a (compared to Microsoft) relatively small third party for a product critical component. As Microsoft has gotten more and more agile, it is important that the vendors do as well.

This is NOT a slam on Telerik. This change in MS has caught all the vendors flat footed... but the reality remains. If you want to be able to move fast it may be that you need to stay MS pure.

Ken
Evan Hutnick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Nov 2009, 02:22 PM

Hey all,

In regards to VS 2010 Beta 2 support, consider the development cycle for a company like Telerik or any other component vendor.  We are working towards a few different things with every release, and while not a totally inclusive list, it would look something like:

• Provide fixes, upgrades, and optimizations for current controls
  • Introduce new controls based on community feedback and market demand
  • Update support resources and documentation for all new products and changes to existing products
  • Support the latest and greatest of what is out there to stay on the bleeding edge of .Net development

Keeping this in mind, consider the fact that we are also in a competitive market.  So we are also constantly working to improve our value for customers at a time when you can find a lot of neat things on Codeplex and by simply hitting up Google and Bing to see what someone has done with the latest 3.x preview build or leaked 4.0 build of Silverlight and responding to custom inquiries why our well thought out and long planned release doesn't have support for these things. 

The reality behind all this is that when we ship a release, like Q3, we know customers intend to be able to put this into their current stable development environment and start using it on all of their projects.  Keep in mind the bold in the previous sentence, because VS 2010 Beta 2 is still a beta IDE, and while we are planning to provide support for it, with a very strict release cycle and working to get as many features from our roadmap into the release as possible, unfortunately that is something which had to go on the back burner.  Using beta software, especially a beta IDE, is a risk for any developer since it isn't guaranteed to work at production quality.  Just the same as we don't expect someone to have used our Q3 beta releases in a production level product, generally speaking nobody should be using a beta IDE for production level work.  Beta releases are out there to solicit feedback and to ensure that problems and kinks are worked out for the final release. 

With all this being said, the final weeks/days leading up to the release involves a lot of testing, final tweaks, and fixes to ensure we're shipping the strongest release possible.  This time around one of those considerations was to either work hard on solidifying the release for current stable developer environments or work on support for the VS 2010 Beta IDE, and we chose the first option.  Not that we don't plan on supporting the new beta, we have every intention to, but with the knowledge that changes we make to support VS2010 Beta 2 could break in the VS 2010 RC (since one can assume there will be one), we wanted to ensure the best experience for everyone and not sacrifice any of the things we wanted to do in the release and thus had to make that decision.

Long story short, support will be coming but not quite yet.  If you have any further questions into how we plan our releases or the priorities of one choice we've made versus another, definitely let us know.  We value community feedback of all sorts and can appreciate the fact that people want to start using our controls in the new designer, and we hope you understand the reasoning why our VS 2010 Beta 2 support was pushed back a little bit.

-Evan

Steven Nesbit
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Nov 2009, 02:45 PM
I understand your focus and current release products should work on the current platforms before considering the latest.  That being said, we are focused on VS2010 and the current product is incompatible with this platform.  Given the go live license, we intend to target vs2010 for new customer projects where possible and need a toolset that is ready to support us.   Can you please give us some sort of timeline to understand when VS2010 support (even beta product) will be available. 

Kenneth Jamieson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 05:55 AM
I understand the focus on the current shipping toolset as well - but with the recent changes in Microsofts release policies it is goign to cause a lot of friction.

We are also targeting VS2010 for the latest client projects since it is a dramatic increase in productivity in almost every area. With the advent of a GoLive license from Microsoft clearly the game is changing. In the past, Microsoft was the slowest and least agile part of the toolchain - not anymore. These days we are finding that every time we introduce a dependancy on a non-MS supplied technology that is the thing that holds us up and holds us back.

We truely love the potential embodied in the Telerik tools and I can see a lot of great things we can do with them, but if the trade off is that we will forever be unable to stay current with the core toolset from microsoft then it is a trade off that simply isn't worth it.

Ken
Evan Hutnick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 04:52 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to follow up with this as I have spoken with the product teams about the specifics of the issue and can share a bit more information on what is happening and how we are addressing it.

The problem that we are facing right now is Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 cannot resolve the path to any of our assemblies when loaded in a standard manner (they can be in the same folder, but as far as VS is concerned they cannot "see" one another correctly).  For all our testing we have not found a suitable workaround and have reported this issue already to Microsoft, who we are working closely with to try and resolve the problem.

Until then, the one option we have found is that you can manually copy all of our assemblies to the Visual Studio public assemblies folder, in which case everything seems to work fine and the errors with getting the controls set in VS seem to be alleviated by it.

Our current goal is to have this problem resolved by the time Q3 2009 SP1 rolls around, which is slated to be released in a few weeks.  We will be sure to keep everyone updated on he progress we make with Microsoft in resolving this issue.

Thanks again for your patience on this one, it irks us too and we are trying to fix it as soon as possible. :)

-Evan
Kenneth Jamieson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 05:06 PM

Beautiful.

That is EXACTLY the kind of communication that build confidence Evan, and I really appreciate it. Not only do we get a workaround we can use now, but a firm idea of when a better solution will happen but most importantly it really lets us know you guys are aggressively on the issue and not just letting it go as a "we don't support beta products" thing.

Really, really good.
Ken

Steven Nesbit
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 05:50 PM
That's a great response and true to Telerik's approach.  I've very pleased to see a workaround provided and a timeframe for correction. 
Steven Nesbit
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2009, 10:32 PM
Ok.  Now that I've moved the libraries into the public folder, the tools can be seen.  When I startup a silverlight project in VS2010, I can place any microsoft widget and compile with no problem.  When I place a Telerik control on the canvas I get an error which changes based on what control I try.   If I try a button, it says that it can't find the file system.windows.  If I try a radRibbon it says I it can't find the file system.core version 2.0.5.0. 

Help Again?

Thanks
Troy Morgan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Nov 2009, 12:24 AM
I have the same exact problem here.  System.core 2.0.5.0...

Troy
Steven Nesbit
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Nov 2009, 02:37 PM
Telerik.... Could you please help us with a workaround on the system.core and other similar ones we've pointed out in vs2010?  Thanks in Advance...
Greg Gum
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Nov 2009, 03:41 PM
For what it's worth, I am having the same issue as above.  I did a web search and found one possible solution of adding System.Core to the GAC, but I tried this and the problem persists.

I too would like to see this resolved, if only a workaround.  I was really looking forward to NOT having to use BLEND to get design time support for Silverlight development.  I am sure this will be resolved in VS10 RTM, but that is months away and there are projects I need to get done now.

Greg Gum
Bobi
Telerik team
answered on 17 Nov 2009, 08:41 AM
Hi,

Thanks for all your involvement and feedback. It is highly appreciated.
This is going to be one of our major tasks for the following service pack 1 release.
So for our SP1 which is at the begging of December we will have ToolBox support for Visual Studio 2010.

Kind regards,
Boryana
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
PaulCo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Nov 2009, 08:52 PM
Hi,
Personally, I don't give that much about the toolbar support, certainly not in vs beta.  However, when I tried out beta 2 this afternoon, after some troubles converting projects to vs2010, it finally worked.
However, when going to the design-surface, the RadRibbon could not load completely due to null-reference exceptions, more specifically in ..:ApplicationMenu and :RibbonTab.
While it's obvious that vs2010 beta 2 is really not production-ready, it would be quite nice if telerik could have a decent VS2010 support by the time the first RC comes out.
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 26 Nov 2009, 10:32 AM
Hello PaulCo,

Thanks for your comments. We will definitely have "decent" support for VS 2010 Beta 2 right with our next SP release due in the week between 7th and 11th of December. This is our major focus right now and we are seriously working in this direction.

All the best,
Nick
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Arthur Wu
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 04:04 PM
The RadControls_for_Silverlight_2009_3_1208 have the same problem.

Evan Hutnick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 04:26 PM
Hey Arthur,

Just wanted to follow up as I've been working with that build since yesterday and wanted to share a little insight on my experience so far.  The first thing to note, if anyone was using the previous method to copy the pre-SP1 assemblies into the PublicAssemblies folder, be sure to delete those as Visual Studio will try to reference them despite the installation placing everything into the ToolBox as expected.

Once you're past that, and provided you've used the installer, everything should be in the toolbox.  The next quirk VS2010 seems to be throwing is that even if you drag and drop, say, RadGridView onto the designer, VS 2010 won't bring in the dependant assemblies- so it will bring Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView into your references but not any of the other assemblies needed for that control.  So in that case just check the reference in properties to where that assembly is coming from (should be from the installed folder) and reference the other assemblies that you would need for that control.  In case you need a reference, check out the Control Dependencies page to see what controls require what assemblies.  And as always, for any RadControls you're using you'll need Telerik.Windows.Controls in there to start with. :)

Otherwise if you've done all this and are still having trouble, please let us know specifically what trouble you're having so we can look more into your specific scenario.

-Evan
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 04:32 PM
Hi guys,

We have just release a service pack release for Q3 which improves the experience in Visual Studio 2010. Be sure to check it out.

Regards,
Milan
the Telerik team

Denis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 07:10 PM
I use Visual Studio  2010 and Rad Controls 2009_3_12-08.
When I add any RadControl on the form - I get error
------ Build started: Project: SilverlightApplication7, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
C:\Projects\SilverlightApplication7\SilverlightApplication7\MainPage.xaml(1,1,1,1): error : Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
------ Build started: Project: SilverlightApplication7.Web, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.21006\Microsoft.Common.targets(764,9): warning MSB3644: The reference assemblies for framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.0" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack for this framework version or retarget your application to a version of the framework for which you have the SDK or Targeting Pack installed. Note that assemblies will be resolved from the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and will be used in place of reference assemblies. Therefore your assembly may not be correctly targeted for the framework you intend.
  SilverlightApplication7.Web -> C:\Projects\SilverlightApplication7\SilverlightApplication7.Web\bin\SilverlightApplication7.Web.dll
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

What is it? Help me, please.

Best regards,
Denis.

Evan Hutnick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 07:22 PM
Hey Denis,

It is looking like you are targeting .Net 4.0/Silverlight 4.  Currently our public builds are only for SL3, so you would need to use Silverlight 3 w/ VS 2010 Beta 2 to ensure everything is working correctly.  Rest assured though, our developers are working on a branch based on the current SL4 Beta and once that build is looking stable we will be releasing it to our customers to test and evaluate. 

Thanks,
Evan
Denis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 07:31 PM
I use .net 3.5/silverlight 3.0

Evan Hutnick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 07:33 PM
Hey Denis,

Very peculiar... any chance you can send me over a copy of the project giving you grief?  I'll check it on my local machine to see if it runs on here, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of the issue.  My email is hutnick at telerik.com.

-Evan

P.S. - Also just re-read your error message and saw this again:

The reference assemblies for framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.0" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack for this framework version or retarget your application to a version of the framework for which you have the SDK or Targeting Pack installed. Note that assemblies will be resolved from the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and will be used in place of reference assemblies. Therefore your assembly may not be correctly targeted for the framework you intend.

Do you have all the right SDKs installed (SL3/SL4 Beta)?
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Steven Nesbit
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sergio Sisternes
Top achievements
Rank 1
Kenneth Jamieson
Top achievements