This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2008 Locks up and crashes with 2009 Q3

5 Answers 108 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
doug asked on 13 Nov 2009, 01:59 PM
I two problems with Q3 2009

Visual Studio 2008(VSTS) will  lock up.
When I try to kill the process it then tells me that there is still a modal dialog open. If there is it is not visable.
I cannot navigate to this dialog.
Shortly before this intellisense goes.
On restarting it sends an error log to microsoft.
Eventlog (Hanging application devenv.exe, version 9.0.30729.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.) + a FaultBucket.

Visual Studio 2008(VSTS) will  crash out of Exploer.
This typically in source code view.
It just disappears (eventLog: .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3603 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A036050) (80131506))

This did not happen with Q2 2009 (which is still in the system and has not been uninstalled).
Is there some other log I could look at.
Any suggestions?

I am using winXP 64bit with 6gb ram (so have full access to the available mem).
Also installed is Resharper4.5

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Schlurk
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Nov 2009, 06:44 PM
Have you tried to uninstall both the Q3 and Q2 controls, and then reinstalling the Q3 ones?
PTS Group AG
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Nov 2009, 09:31 AM
Hello,

same problem here.
Uninstalling all Telerik Products and reinstalling Q3 did not resolve the issue.
Although it worked, when any Telerik products where uninstalled.

I am also unable to start a web application, Visual Studio freezes during compilation.

My System config:
Windows 7 x64 German Ultimate
4 GB RAM
Local installation of SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition
No other Visual Studio extensions installed

Edit: I tried also to downgrade to Q2. But it did not help
plamen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Nov 2009, 09:02 AM
Hi,

There is a built-in command line switch devenv.exe /log to log Visual Studio activity. You may find it useful to troubleshoot issues. Devenv Command Line Switches

- Open a command prompt;
- Navigate to "%VS90COMNTOOLS%..\IDE" folder
- Run the following command:
devenv.exe /log

Log file is written out to%AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ActivityLog.xml

Regards...
<John:Peel />

Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 06 Jan 2010, 05:20 PM
I just installed all the latest Telerik products and it also munged my Visual Studio 2008 with this error:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3603 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A036050) (80131506)

I googled and found this blog on how to fix this with patches and how to install the patches:

http://michaelsync.net/2009/10/31/net-runtime-version-2-0-50727-3603-fatal-execution-engine-error-7a036050-80131506-mscoree-dll

Patches are found here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=16827

Trouble for me is I work for a facility that doesn't allow admin privileges and you  have to pass a government law to install anything on your computer, so now it'll be days before I can work on my projects and use Visual Studio 2008 again, and no telling what problems I might still have after the supposed "fix."
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jan 2010, 05:31 PM
Hi Moon,

I'm sorry for a problem like that to happen. I haven't come across this same problem using the latest RadControls installers, but you could check if the Visual Studio Extensions have something that has triggered the error - just uninstall the RadControls and install them again by unselecting the VSExtensions. Once you've installed the updates you could install the VSExtensions back.

P.S. Thanks for sharing these findings!

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Schlurk
Top achievements
Rank 2
PTS Group AG
Top achievements