VS 2015: Xaml IntelliSense not working

50 posts, 0 answers
  1. David Totzke
    David Totzke avatar
    13 posts

Posted 12 Oct 2015 Link to this post

I've done a little bit more investigation.  I am fairly certain it is related to something I am doing in one particular solution/project.  I've copied my solution to three different systems with three different operating systems (Windows 7, 8.1, and 10).  The Windows 10 system doesn't have any third-party controls installed at all.  No CodeRush/JustCode not even the WPF components from Telerik.  It's just using the libraries that were added to the solution.  The problem occurs on all three systems with this solution and surfaces almost immediately upon editing XAML.  The designer still functions fine, it's just Intellisense that goes away.

I've created a couple of test projects adding in various Telerik assembly references and can't recreate the problem as yet.  I believe it was the Navigation library that was initially implicated.  Unfortunately the solution that has the issue is not one I can share so I'm going to create a solution and just keep adding things to it until the problem shows up.  I'll then upload that project here and will also file a support ticket so Telerik support can track the issue more closely.

One clue I have in mind at the moment is that I keep any resources in a separate resource dictionary to the UserControl that I am working on and link them in.  I noticed above that one or more people were using the XAML-less binaries and linking in the resources.  Maybe that has something to do with the issue.

2. Petya
    Admin
    Petya avatar
    975 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2015 Link to this post

Hi everyone,

@Dave we're aware of a couple design-time issues when using implicit styles, but so far our investigation of the IntelliSense problem has been insufficient. We have tested this in numerous setups, both with standard and NoXaml assemblies and will continue trying to isolate this.

Any other hints you guys can share will be greatly appreciated. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Regards,
    Petya
    Telerik
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. UI for WPF is Visual Studio 2017 Ready
  4. Anthony
    Anthony avatar
    41 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2015 in reply to Petya Link to this post

Here are a few observations and notes:

• I don't see the problem on projects where I'm not using Telerik
    • It seems to occur when you open or close tags for Telerik elements
    • I'm not running JustTrace or JustCode
    • I'm using JustMock (profiler is disabled except when I run tests)
    • Standard Telerik binaries
    • Windows 8.1
  5. Jonah
    Jonah avatar
    23 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2015 Link to this post

I am still having the same issues on my projects exactly like Anthony posted. I also have the issue of the Telerik controls just stop showing up randomly in design view.
  6. Petya
    Admin
    Petya avatar
    975 posts

Posted 16 Oct 2015 Link to this post

Hello again,

@Jonah like I've mentioned, we're aware of several issues causing the designer to crash:
    - When using RadWizard and the RadWizardCommands.
    -  When the platform of a project is set to x64.
    - When using RadGridView with implicit styles with merged XAML files, and ColumnGroups are defined.

In case you have neither of those setups on your end, please send us more information on your scenario so we can try to replicate this.

As to the IntelliSense issue - currently our QA team is engaged with testing this in different setups to replicate the problem. We have succeeded in causing the IntelliSense to stop working in these two setups:
    - If the project has been created with VS 2012 or VS 2013, the first time the project is opened with VS 2015 IntelliSense doesn't work. Rebuilding the project, resolves this and the problem doesn't reoccur.
    - If the XAML Designer has been disabled and then enabled through Visual Studio's Options - > Text Editor following this stackoverflow thread

I'm under the impression at least a part of you guys are able to steadily replicate the problem with various projects and more than once in each project. We'd very much like to dig into the cause of this, so I wanted to ask if any of you would be willing to step into a remote web session with us. 

If you have the time to help us with this, please open a new support ticket with a reference to this forum post and let us know your availability. We're located at GTM +2.

Regards,
    Petya
    Telerik
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
  7. Gerry Leco
    Gerry Leco avatar
    5 posts

Posted 21 Oct 2015 Link to this post

I've been having this issue for weeks as well.  Awhile back when I had time to mess with it I think I was able to recover the intellisense for short periods by deleting my lib/bin/obj folders and rebuilding but it never lasted. 

It is only happening in VS 2015. 

It happens on brand new projects as well as old ones.

I'm running CodeRush but it still happens if I uninstall CodeRush and refresh everything.

I don't use the No-XAML stuff, only assemblies. (not to sidetrack but I've never been able to make the no-xaml stuff work properly which is why I don't use it)

8. Zoran
    Zoran avatar
    1 posts

Posted 25 Oct 2015 Link to this post

Hi,

I had similar problem with xaml intellisense and this seem to have solved my problem, at least for last 10 minutes:-)

It might not be the same problem that you guys have but it might be worth trying. Every time I opened tag for telerik control xaml intellisense stopped working. When I go to Design tab after that it is already crashed with long stack trace (and no mention of Telerik on that stack trace).

Proposed solution (from link) is this:

C:\Prog...\IDE> devenv.exe /UpdateConfiguration
    C:\Prog...\IDE> devenv.exe /ClearCache

After that (I had VS turned off during commands executions) my xaml intellisense works and Designer hadn't crashed for whole 10 minutes and counting:-)

Regards,

Zoran

9. Petya
    Admin
    Petya avatar
    975 posts

Posted 06 Nov 2015 Link to this post

I wanted to send you a quick update that we're still working on reproducing this and so far managed to isolate a procedure that involves running multiple (more than one) instances of Visual Studio 2015 at once. In case reducing the instances to one solves this problem for anyone, or on the contrary - doesn't, please let us know.

We're also in contact with Microsoft about the possible reasons for such problem. If we have any other updates, I'll make sure they are posted here.

Regards,
    Petya
    Telerik
  10. Anthony
    Anthony avatar
    41 posts

Posted 09 Nov 2015 in reply to Petya Link to this post

I only have one instance of Visual Studio and I still have the problem.
  11. Svetoslav
    Admin
    Svetoslav avatar
    55 posts

Posted 10 Nov 2015 Link to this post

Hello,

I have good news for you. We have contacted the Visual Studio team and they confirmed that there are some issues related to XAML IntelIiSense in Visual Studio 2015 which are resolved with Visual Studio 2015 Update 1.

We have tested it on our end with Visual Studio Update 1 RC and it seems that the issues we were able to reproduce are fixed. Please, let us know if anyone is still experiencing problems after updating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,
    Svetoslav
    Telerik
  12. David Totzke
    David Totzke avatar
    13 posts

Posted 10 Nov 2015 in reply to Svetoslav Link to this post

That's great news!  Thank you all for your persistence in tracking this down.  I look forward to updating and giving it a try.

Dave

13. David
    David avatar
    20 posts

Posted 02 Dec 2015 Link to this post

Intellisense is broken for me as well. I'm using a fresh install of Visual Studio 2015, and the latest Telerik WPF UI tools (30 day demo).

I am not using any other developer tools and the project is brand new.

It doesn't stay broken at all times. It works now and again without me restarting VS or clearing the bin/obj folders. Maybe building the project has something to do with it?

14. David
    David avatar
    20 posts

Posted 02 Dec 2015 in reply to David Link to this post

PS - Version is 2015.3.1104.45 (as I said, 30 day demo)
  15. David Totzke
    David Totzke avatar
    13 posts

Posted 02 Dec 2015 in reply to Svetoslav Link to this post

Svetoslav said:

I have good news for you. We have contacted the Visual Studio team and they confirmed that there are some issues related to XAML IntelIiSense in Visual Studio 2015 which are resolved with Visual Studio 2015 Update 1.

We have tested it on our end with Visual Studio Update 1 RC and it seems that the issues we were able to reproduce are fixed.

I installed Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 a couple of days ago and haven't had a problem since.  The solution I am working with would fail almost instantly and now it is running perfectly.  :) 

Thanks! 

16. David Totzke
    David Totzke avatar
    13 posts

Posted 02 Dec 2015 in reply to David Link to this post

Hello Other David!

Update 1 for Visual Studio 2015 was just released on November 30th.  It contains fixes that address this issue.  I haven't had any problems since applying the update.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2015/11/30/visual-studio-update-1-rtm.aspx

Hope that helps,

17. David
    David avatar
    20 posts

Posted 03 Dec 2015 Link to this post

Hey Other Dave (haha),

I installed Update 1 this morning and so far it's all been working flawless.

It's amazing how much IntelliSense adds to productivity.

Thanks again all for working towards figuring this one out. 

Dave

18. Anthony
    Anthony avatar
    41 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2015 in reply to Svetoslav Link to this post

The problem seems to be gone for me with the update 1 installed.
  19. Yehudah
    Yehudah avatar
    19 posts

Posted 08 Dec 2015 Link to this post

Hi guys!

I installed now VS2015 update 1 and check the bugs reported:

1. Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation IntelliSence bug [this thread]

Fixed!

2. Telerik RadMaskedInput crashes the designer [Reported here]

Not fixed!

That is not telerik's bug, just a Visual studio bug.

3. telerik:RadGridView.ColumnGroups reported here:

20. Yehudah
    Yehudah avatar
    19 posts

Posted 08 Dec 2015 Link to this post

3. telerik:RadGridView.ColumnGroups reported here:

Not fixed

21. Petar Mladenov
    Admin
    Petar Mladenov avatar
    2891 posts

Posted 09 Dec 2015 Link to this post

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your test results with the community after upgrading to the latest .net / VS 2015 versions.

I will also list our test observations when upgrading from VS 2015 RC to VS 2015 RTM

1) Intellisense is not working. The issue is fixed in both RC and RTM. No difference in the two versions.

2) MaskedInput crashes the XAML designer in VS 2015. The issue is still reproducible and there is no difference in the two versions. The issue is isolated and reported to Microsft Connect.

3) DesignTime exception in VS 2015 with GridView ColumnGroups. The issue is still reproducible and there is no difference in the versions. Once we manage to isolate it and eventually report it in MS Connect, we will post the link in the comment here.

Regards,
    Petar Mladenov
    Telerik
UI for WPF is Visual Studio 2017 Ready