This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS 2008 what version RAD

3 Answers 81 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jason
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jason asked on 07 Dec 2007, 09:29 PM
I have the new VS 2008 installed and love it. We have MSDN so it's nice. The only problem I am having is figuring out which controls to use from Telerik.

Do I use 2.0 and Prometheus? The reason I ask is because not all the RAD Controls are in the Prometheus suite of controls.

Jason

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 07 Dec 2007, 09:39 PM
Hi Jason,

I would very strongly recommend using the Prometheus controls for all new or newly started projects.  The only controls that are missing are the treeview, panelbar, tabstrip, and rotator at this point; and from what I understand the treeview is very shortly upcoming.  You can still use the "old" versions of the panelbar, tabstrip, and rotator controls until they've been converted.

If you use the editor in any projects; the performance enhancements in the prometheus version of that control alone are worth making the switch.

I've been using prometheus in production since just after it originally came out, and been using .NET 3.5 RTM with prometheus for a few weeks now and have had relatively few issues.

In fact, I've nearly completed upgrading one of my major projects to the latest Futures release of prometheus (which is a big one as it includes the grid and menu) and have been pleased with the boost in performance of the prometheus controls.

Hope that helps guide you along,

Shaun
Jason
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Dec 2007, 04:17 AM
Absolutly. I am going to use the new Prometheus but i need to also use the Tree, Panal and Tab. They are all used in my application. I am updateing it from 1.1 to 3.5 and noticed they are not in the Prometheus so i was hoping i could use all the Prometheus controls and the 2.0 ones that have not been upgraded side by side.

Is that possible?

Jason
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 08 Dec 2007, 10:05 AM
Yes, Jason it is possible to use Prometheus and Classic controls side-by-side in the same projects. Both versions of RadControls can seamlessly co-exist in VS2005 and VS2008 projects.

All the best,
Ivo
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jason
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Shaun Peet