This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2017 missing Telerik extension menu item

2 Answers 1578 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
George asked on 10 Jul 2017, 10:26 PM

I have changed from Visual Studio 2013 to 2017. It compiles fine, Telerik ASP.Net controls are working fine but the Telerik extension menu on the Visual Studio menu bar is missing.  I did an ASP.Net Update to 2017 but it did not add it.  If I open an ASP file, the Toolbox items for Telerik controls got populated fine so some of it is working.

In Visual Studio 2017 should then Telerik menu extension item still exist? If so, how could I get it back?  

Without it, will Visual Studio still tell me an ASP.Net update is available?  I believe that already failed to happen, considering there was an update ready to go when I went to the Telerik Control Panel. I opened Visual Studio 2013 to have a look at the Telerik menu and it told me an update was available.  

Not sure I will bother renewing if I am not notified about updates, it is not something I ever think of checking. And that incredibly annoying Control Panel that always needs to update and that can never remember my login credentials, would sure not be missed.

I need to move forward to Visual Studio 2017.  

I will miss Just Code which does not seem to install to Visual Studio 2017. At least losing Just Code means I do not need DevCraft anymore, just ASP.NET - save some money assuming I renew.

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jul 2017, 12:01 PM
Hello George,

Thank you for getting back to us.

From the provided description it appears that there is a problem with part of the UI for ASP.NET AJAX VSExtension. Namely with the Telerik.CommonPackage and the Telerik.UserSettingsPackage. The first creates the Telerik menu in Visual Studio and the second one shows the update notifications you mention are missing. 

Please check if both the above mentioned extensions are installed in VS2017 and are enabled. To do that:

1. Launch Visual Studio
2. Select Extensions and Updates... item under the Tools menu
3. Expand Installed tab

If the extensions are there and are enabled but you are still experiencing the described problems or if the extensions are missing I would suggest that you reinstall the UI for ASP.NET AJAX VSExtension through the Visual Studio Gallery. To do that follow the three steps above and then select the extension and press Uninstall. Then follow the prompts to complete the procedure. After that: 

1. Launch Visual Studio and open Extensions and Updates page
2. Expand the Online tab and type "Telerik ASP.NET AJAX VSExtensions" into the search box
3. Select the extensions and press Download button
4. Proceed with the installation and restart Visual Studio if needed

I hope this works out for you, but if you continue to face difficulties do get back to us for further assistance.

Regards,
Nikola
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 18 Jul 2017, 09:04 PM

That solved my problem.

Thanks very much!

George

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
George
Top achievements