This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2010 Integration

31 Answers 477 Views
Getting Started
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Lee
Top achievements
Rank 1
Lee asked on 18 Mar 2010, 09:43 PM
I just installed the Q1 2010 release of OpenAccess ORM on my Windows 7 x64 system where I have Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and Visual Studio 2010 RC1 installed.

After the installation, I see that OpenAccess ORM is integrated in Visual Studio 2008 (it's available as a "Add New Item" template) but I don't see anything that says it has been integrated with VS 2010.

Does the install process configure VS 2010 properly for integration or do I need to do something manual after the install to be able to use OpenAccess ORM?

31 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 19 Mar 2010, 07:59 AM
Hello Lee Weisenberger,
Yes the Visual Designer is currently not integrated under Visual Studio 2010. We are planning to provide such integration for the official release of Visual Studio 2010.

Kind regards,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Lee
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Mar 2010, 01:54 PM
What does the website mean when it says that OpenAccess ORM is "Visual Studio 2010 Ready"?  Can I use any part of it from within VS 2010 RC1?
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 22 Mar 2010, 11:09 AM
Hi Lee Weisenberger,
All Telerik OpenAccess ORM assets are ready for VS2010 integration except for the Visual Designer for OpenAccess. It will be ready for the official launch of VS2010.

Kind regards,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Andrei
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Apr 2010, 05:01 PM
HI

Im having similar issues.
When is this expected to work properly in vs 2010 rttm ?

Thanks

Andrie
Zoran
Telerik team
answered on 19 Apr 2010, 08:07 AM
Hi Andrei Papapy,

We are working on the VS 2010 issues at the moment. We will hopefully release a service pack covering the latest Visual Studio version in the next two weeks time frame.

Greetings,
Zoran
the Telerik team

Marcus
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Apr 2010, 09:37 PM
I just installed the offical release of VS 2010 Professional and noticed that Visual Designer didn't install when I re-installed ORM... any word on when that update is going to be available?
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 23 Apr 2010, 07:19 AM
Hi Marcus,
We hope we will put out an SP next week that provides the VS2010 support for the Visual Designer.

All the best,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Marcus
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Apr 2010, 06:00 PM
Awesome... just keep us posted!
kamakaze
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Apr 2010, 06:50 PM
Is this really happening this week?
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 30 Apr 2010, 07:06 AM
Hi kamakaze,
We are still working on the product. The scope of development was expanded a bit as we will introduce a new enhancer based on Mono.Cecil that should solve all enhancer issues currently available under VS2010. We would like to put both the designer support and the enhancer into a single release. However there is still work to be done. I cannot promise you right now we will be able top release today.

All the best,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Andrei
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 May 2010, 09:47 AM
Hi

When is this expected , seems to be dragging on and unusable in vs2010 ?

Thx
Garry Clark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 May 2010, 05:04 PM
Not to beat you guys up, but any updates on this?
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 12 May 2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Garry Clark,
We are still into the installer issues for VS2010 installation. The moment we have things working there we will go for a release. There is a real chance we can do so this week.

Kind regards,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

kamakaze
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 May 2010, 05:01 PM
Any updates?
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 25 May 2010, 05:37 PM
Hello kamakaze,
We are targeting for release tomorrow late afternoon. I hope we can meet this time-frame.

All the best,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jun 2010, 03:48 AM
I am using ORM-2010.1.527.2 with VS 2010 and Silverlight 4 2010-1-0603 and trying to reverse engineer and existing schema by following the steps at http://www.telerik.com/help/openaccess-orm/walkthroughs-walkthrough-rev-eng.html.

I go to enable the project, I get a message about adding an OpenAccess Domain Model if I want to use an existing schema.  Since I want to use an existing schema, I tried to do that.  However, I cannot find 'OpenAccess Domain Model' as a choice under 'Add new item.'  I started looking under Data, but ended up searching all the options:  Code, Data, General, Web,...

Any suggestions?
Garry Clark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jun 2010, 01:15 PM
James,
I would highly recommend you uninstall v.2010.1.527.2 and instead download the latest internal build and install it. It fixed a lot of issues with VS 2010 for me. The latest version is 2010.1.531.1. If you have never downloaded an internal build and are unclear about how to this thread talks about doing so. It's the last post of the thread.

http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/orm/general-discussions/openaccess-upgrade-issue-object.aspx

If version 2010.1.531.1 does not fix this let us know and we can see what else we can come up with.

Thanks!
Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Jun 2010, 08:51 PM
I just installed the latest 6/10 release, and still nothing is visible under Add New Item to a project in VS 2010.

So does OpenAccess ORM work with VS 2010 or not?

And if so, then how do you make the templates visible for use in VS 2010?
Garry Clark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Jun 2010, 09:11 PM
Carl,
I attached two screen shots of my VS 2010 environment. I uninstalled 2010.1.531.1 of OpenAccess and installed 2010.1.610.1 to make sure something had not gotten broken and it has not. My OpenAccess installation works great with my VS 2010 installation.

Do you have either of the items shown in my screen shots in VS 2010?

**Edit: Also just to let you know my dev machine is 64bit Windows 7.

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Jun 2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the screen shots!

Well same platform -- 64bit Windows 7 and same install of the latest release from June 10 -- but my OpenAccess menu looks completely different (has less than half of what yours shows) and OpenAccess ORM project does not show up in project templates.

I'll try UNinstalling and then re-installing....

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Jun 2010, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately that did not help.

Same problem as before.

Any suggestions from Telerik Admins?
Ady
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jun 2010, 08:08 AM
Hi Carl,

Regarding the Menu items - That is a weird bug which we are trying hard to fix. All menu items below the 'Help' item are items from the 'Telerik Just Code' product. So if you do not seem them there's nothing to worry.

• Which version of the .NET framework does your project target? The designer is available for .NET version 3.5 and above
  • Do you have the OpenAccess designer template file 'EntityDiagrams.zip' under the following path - <Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0 installation folder>\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Data?

Sincerely yours,
Ady
the Telerik team

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jun 2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks for explanation.

With regard to looking for EntityDiagrams.zip, I did find a file with that name  at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Data

and at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Data

but NOT at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\VisualBasic\Data

and I was trying to use Visual Basic so that explains part of the problem. Hopefully, you can release a new fix that corrects the problem. Also, when trying to use the ORM Data Services Wizard at the step where there is a choice to select Telerik controls or regular Microsoft controls, the Telerik controls option is ghosted out so that it cannot be used --- which does not make any sense because I've also run the configuration check utility which reports that all the correct Telerik assemblies are referenced correctly. So is this another bug?
Missing User
answered on 16 Jun 2010, 05:00 PM
Hi Carl,

Actually the Data Services Wizard checks for the following assemblies before allowing you to create a SL application with our controls, so could you please double check if they exist:

1- [Telerik Installation folder]\[Telerik\RadControls folder]\Binaries\Silverlight\Telerik.Windows.Controls.dll

2- [Telerik Installation folder]\[Telerik\RadControls folder]\Binaries\Silverlight\Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView.dll

3- [Telerik Installation folder]\[Telerik\RadControls folder]\Binaries\Silverlight\Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input.dll

4- [Telerik Installation folder]\[Telerik\RadControls folder]\Binaries\Silverlight\Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation.dll

5- [Telerik Installation folder]\[Telerik\RadControls folder]\Binaries\Silverlight\Telerik.Windows.Data.dll

After verifying that the assemblies are there, If you still are not able to use the wizard, please send me the notification that you get.
Greetings,
Rizk Sobhi
the Telerik team

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jun 2010, 09:21 PM
I checked the installation directories, and I can confirm that all of the assemblies that you listed are in fact there.

Going through the Data Services Wizard, here is what happens:

Select DAL and Output Project - no problem here.

Select RLINQ Model - the wizard skipped over this step but why? Does it do so automatically if there's only one rlinq model in the DAL Project? If so, then why shouldn't the developer be given the opportunity to confirm selection prior to proceeding?

Select Data Service - I can select some entities, check Generate Silverlight Application. Then it is possible to choose the Telerik Controls radiobutton, but a popup error message window "Creating Silverlight Application" appears and it says "Please install Rad Controls for Silverlight and try again". Clicking "OK" reverts the radiobutton choice to Standard Controls. This behavior occurs for the first two Data Service Types "Data Services for .Net 4" and "WCF Endpoint Service". And for the other two Data Service Types "REST Collection WCF Service" and "ATOM Publishing WCF Service", the Standard/Telerik controls radiobuttons are completely ghosted out and there is no choice possible at all.

So I have not yet been able to use the Data Services Wizard.

Missing User
answered on 17 Jun 2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Carl,

- Could you please reinstall the Rad Controls and try again(without changing the installation path). If the same problem still occurs, please write me back the installation directory that you have used.

- The select model step will be only available if you have more than one RLINQ model at the same DAL, otherwise it will be useless and no confirmation needed to assure selecting this model.

- Generating SL application is only available now for Astoria and WCF services. You can notice the selection becoming dimmed if you choose Rest or AtomPub services.

Sincerely yours,
Rizk Sobhi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jun 2010, 09:55 PM
So I completely uninstalled SP2 and SP1 folders then re-installed the current Silverlight SP2, and that did solve the problem in the Data Services Wizard where the Telerik Controls radiobutton was ghosted out.

However, I continue to encounter problems and the Data Services Wizard never completed successfully. Moreover, it insists on generating a C# Silverlight app instead of the VB Silverlight app that I request in the Data Services Wizard. Lastly, when it fails to complete successfully, it complains about being unable to generate the proxy and returns the following error on a call to http://localhost:1584/SampleServiceName.svc/ in the VS2010 dev server browser window:

Request Error

The server encountered an error processing the request. The exception message is 'DataServiceKey attribute must specify at least one property name. Parameter name: keyNames'. See server logs for more details. The exception stack trace is:

at System.Data.Services.Common.DataServiceKeyAttribute..ctor(String[] keyNames) at System.Reflection.CustomAttribute._CreateCaObject(RuntimeModule pModule, IRuntimeMethodInfo pCtor, Byte** ppBlob, Byte* pEndBlob, Int32* pcNamedArgs) at System.Reflection.CustomAttribute.CreateCaObject(RuntimeModule module, IRuntimeMethodInfo ctor, IntPtr& blob, IntPtr blobEnd, Int32& namedArgs) at System.Reflection.CustomAttribute.GetCustomAttributes(RuntimeModule decoratedModule, Int32 decoratedMetadataToken, Int32 pcaCount, RuntimeType attributeFilterType, Boolean mustBeInheritable, IList derivedAttributes, Boolean isDecoratedTargetSecurityTransparent) at System.Reflection.CustomAttribute.GetCustomAttributes(RuntimeType type, RuntimeType caType, Boolean inherit) at System.RuntimeType.GetCustomAttributes(Boolean inherit) at System.Data.Services.Providers.ReflectionServiceProvider.IsPropertyKeyProperty(PropertyInfo property, ResourceKeyKind& keyKind) at System.Data.Services.Providers.ReflectionServiceProvider.DoesTypeHaveKeyProperties(Type type, Boolean entityTypeCandidate) at System.Data.Services.Providers.ReflectionServiceProvider.BuildHierarchyForEntityType(Type type, IDictionary`2 knownTypes, IDictionary`2 childTypes, Queue`1 unvisitedTypes, Boolean entityTypeCandidate) at System.Data.Services.Providers.ReflectionServiceProvider.PopulateMetadata(IDictionary`2 knownTypes, IDictionary`2 childTypes, IDictionary`2 entitySets) at System.Data.Services.Providers.BaseServiceProvider.PopulateMetadata() at System.Data.Services.DataService`1.CreateProvider() at System.Data.Services.DataService`1.HandleRequest() at System.Data.Services.DataService`1.ProcessRequestForMessage(Stream messageBody) at SyncInvokeProcessRequestForMessage(Object , Object[] , Object[] ) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage41(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jun 2010, 10:18 PM
this is a follow up to my previous post...

Finally, I did manage to get the Data Services Wizard to complete successfully by unchecking all of the views and only checking the tables and stor procs in the .rlinq model from OpenAccess ORM.

However, there is still a real bug in the Data Services Wizard because it still insists on generating a proxy.cs for a C# Silverlight app even though I explicitly requested a VB Silverlight app.

Hopefully, you can fix the bugs and improve the developer experience with this Wizard, because after all, the whole point of the Wizard is to make it ridiculously easy for us! Right?

And by the way, will the Data Services Wizard work only with tables and stor procs (as I've experienced) or if it will work with views, then what is the necessary requirements or configuration to make that happen?
Missing User
answered on 18 Jun 2010, 05:41 PM
Hello Carl,

I am afraid that the Data Services Wizard is not yet able to generate VB templates but we are working on that at the moment.

And to answer you question about the views - the problem is I think you have forgotten to specify a primary key for each view, that is why the proxy failed to be created. So all you have to do is right-click in your model, click Validate model, then go through each error appearing in the errors tab, double-click to invoke the error resolving dialog and fix the problems.
After fixing the primary key related errors the problem should disappear if you regenerate the proxy again.

Kind regards,
Rizk Sobhi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jun 2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for these explanations which lead me to offer the following suggestions based on the principle that the whole point of a Wizard is to make it "ridiculously easy" for the developer so that the developer saves time, does not get confused, and does not have to worry about whether he forgot something:

1) If a feature/function in the interface for the Wizard is not yet available, then ghost it out or provide a popup help tip explaining that it is not yet available.

2) Include in the sequence of steps and checks in the Wizard, the step for validating the data model with a reminder to the developer to first fix the data model if it is not valid before proceeding with the remainder of the steps in the Wizard. 

Thanks!
Missing User
answered on 21 Jun 2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Carl,

Thank you for your suggestions, we will try to add them in one of the upcoming releases.
Please feel free to share any other suggestions that you may have.

All the best,
Rizk Sobhi
the Telerik team
Tags
Getting Started
Asked by
Lee
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
Lee
Top achievements
Rank 1