This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2005 crash when showing RadGridView

23 Answers 253 Views
GridView
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Technik
Top achievements
Rank 1
Technik asked on 25 Apr 2008, 02:48 PM
Hi,

I installed the RadControls for Winforms Q1/2008 and now my visual studio crashes everytime the designer wants to show a Form containing a RadGridView (or as soon as I drag a RadGridView into any form) Has anyone experienced that problem and knows a solution ?

Tried already :
    Deinstalling all telerik components, clean install of    RadControlsWinforms_Q1_2008
    Clean / Rebuild all projects, restart VS / Computer
    Removed and readded all Assemblies

Information:
    Windows Vista 64bit
    Visual Studio Team Edition 2005, Ver 8.0.50727.867
    RadControls for Winforms Q1_2008

23 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 28 Apr 2008, 08:18 AM
Hello Falk Wegener,

Thank you for contacting us.

RadGridView requires the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 in order to work correctly. Please, could you confirm that you have this or a higher version of the .NET Framework installed.

You can downoload the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 from here.

If you continue to experience this issue, please provide us more information about the exception you see. I will be glad to help you further.

Let me know, if you have other questions.

Sincerely yours,
Jack
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Technik
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Apr 2008, 01:07 PM
Hi,

I have the .Net Framework SP1 installed.

There is not much (useful) information when visual studio crashes. Just "Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close". I can then try to debug (with another instance of visual studio ;-) ) and get a message :
Unhandled Exception at 0x75a23843 in devenv.exe: 0xE0434F4D: 0xe0434f4d.

I guess this is a problem related to Visual Studio rather than RadControls. I am just wondering why this only happens with the RadGridView.

Even stranger: when I remove all telerik assemblies, then drag a RadGridView into a form the assemblies are loaded automatically and everything works for a few minutes, then the crashes come again.

I realize this is very vague, but I don't know how I could get more useful information.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Greetings
Juzzer
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 Apr 2008, 01:41 PM
I'm getting the same sort of issue with VS 2008 and Q1 2008....
Again only with GridView - other Telerik controls are ok.
Kiril
Telerik team
answered on 28 Apr 2008, 03:57 PM
Hi Juzzer,

This is indeed an issue we'd like to learn more about.

Our latest release, Q1 2008 introduced a reengineered RadGridView, which apart from a performance boost and additional functionality, introduces some breaking changes from the RadGridView in Q3 2007. I suspect the issue is caused by the setting of a property which has remained serialized from the old Q3 code.

Could you send us a small project which reproduces the issue? It would help us solve the issue faster.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Greetings,
Kiril
the Telerik team

superold
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Apr 2008, 04:19 PM
Hi.

My VS crashes as well. I have copied out your Example called "Explorer" into a new project, the same exception. This is the exception I get:

at Telerik.WinControls.RadProperty.Find(String className, String propertyName)
at Telerik.WinControls.XmlPropertySetting.DeserializeProperty(String property)
at Telerik.WinControls.XmlPropertySetting.Deserialize()
at Telerik.WinControls.XmlSimpleCondition.CreateInstance()
at Telerik.WinControls.XmlSelectorBase.DeserializeProperties(IElementSelector selector)
at Telerik.WinControls.XmlStyleSheet.GetStyleSheet()
at Telerik.WinControls.PartiallyLoadedStyleSheet.get_PropertySettingGroups()
at Telerik.WinControls.XmlStyleSheet..ctor(StyleSheet style)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridTableBodyElement.LoadNewRowStyle()
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridTableBodyElement.ApplyTheme()
at Telerik.WinControls.RadElement.ApplyThemeRecursive()
at Telerik.WinControls.RootRadElement.ControlThemeChanged()
at Telerik.WinControls.RadControl.EndInit()
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadGridView.EndInit() 

How can I get around this? Since our application has some grids on it and the release date is within a week, what should I do? rollback all the changes to get 2008Q1 working and stick to Q3?

Thanks,
- jorge
SteffMeier
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Apr 2008, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem. Visual Studio 2005 crashes and even the examples of the GridView provided by Telerik do not work on my system. The GridView is important here and I would love to get a working dll. Sorry to say that, but it looks like a pretty bad (not enough tested) release to me.
Kiril
Telerik team
answered on 29 Apr 2008, 01:29 PM
Hello SteffMeier,

Everyone who has the issue of Visual Studio crashing when showing a form with RadGridView in design-time, or exceptions due to missing properties, please open a support ticket with title ID:134483. You will receive a custom build which addresses this behavior.

Contact us with any other questions you have.

Greetings,
Kiril
the Telerik team

SteffMeier
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Apr 2008, 02:00 PM
Thank you for the answer, but I think I cannot create a support ticket as we haven't bought the controls yet. We are still in the evaluation progress and I'm pretty sure the company is going to buy it soon. As the GridView is the most important control, I wanted tho show them the newest  in order to convince the company.

Juzzer
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Apr 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi Kiril

I have installed 6.0.2.0 but the IDE still crashes.
The app complies and runs fine the issues only appear at design time.
Looking thru the fusion logs to see if anything comes to light apart from the really helpfully VS error below....

EventType clr20r3, P1 devenv.exe, P2 9.0.21022.8, P3 47317b3d, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 471ebc5b, P7 416e, P8 a3, P9 system.io.filenotfoundexception, P10 NIL.
Vassil Petev
Telerik team
answered on 29 Apr 2008, 03:15 PM
Hi SteffMeier,
You can open a support ticket from your Client.net account. We offer 60 days of free evaluation support to all trial users.

Juzzer,
We will write back shortly with regards to the crash. It seems the issue goes deeper than we initially thought, although we did extensive tests on the problem. Stay tuned.

Greetings,
Vassil
the Telerik team

superold
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Apr 2008, 09:25 PM
Have you thought about making "release candidate" version available to us, so we can find bugs before the real release?  - j
Robert wan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Apr 2008, 11:30 PM
Where can i download RadGridView 6.0.2.0. I have the same crash problem on VS2008.

thanks

Technik
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Apr 2008, 07:53 AM
Hi Robert ,

the RadGridView 6.0.2.0 does not fix the problem yet. I think we have to wait until they fix it.
You can still
open a support ticket with title ID:134483 if you would like to try for yourself.
Technik
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Apr 2008, 03:22 PM
Does anyone else use DBI-Tech components ?

It is very strange, but when I remove the DBI Assemblies from my project I can use the RadGridView again.
I don't see any connection actually, because I create a new Form and drag a RadGridView into it to crash my Visual Studio, but this crash only happens when my Project has the DBI Assemblies referenced as well.

Has anyone built a small project that causes the VB crash ? I am unable to reproduce the behaviour with a new project. I want to send a project to Telerik so they can debug.

Juzzer
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Apr 2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Falk,

I have sent a C# test app that causes the issue to Telerik for debugging.
In my case new projects are ok, it's just existing projects that have the issue.
All very strange......

Cheers
Justin
Angel
Telerik team
answered on 30 Apr 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you for your efforts and dedication so far. It appears that there are different causes for the Visual Studio crash and we are still investigating them. Your applications have been of much help in tracking down this weird problem.

Jorge,

We did have a beta of the grid control, however nobody caught that problem during the beta period. Since this is a showstopper problem we will do our best to fix it asap and provide you guys with a build. It will be best if you send us your project as well, so that we can test with it. This will ensure that we have fixed the issue once and for all.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
Angel
the Telerik team

superold
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Apr 2008, 04:59 PM
Great. I would love to be a part of that scheme. It all works perfectly, except for a couple of very strange bugs that I haven't been able to replicate on demand, they sort of happen sometimes. I have my eye on it though.

Anyhow. Your support is extraordinary and we have more sales because of your competence. We had a release today (we make a device management system for windows mobile smartphones/pocketpc) and customers seem happy (except if they move DockPanels between DockManagers, and some other small stuff, but that is another story)

Thanks,
- jorge
Juzzer
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Apr 2008, 07:10 PM
Hi All,

I have installed the latest build from Telerik and things are looking good....
No IDE explosions thus far. Thanks to Telerik for responding quickly to this issue.

Cheers
Justin
Vassil Petev
Telerik team
answered on 01 May 2008, 01:07 PM
You are welcome, Justin.

We have just sent the new build to all of you in your respective tickets to try it. Please, let us know if you still experience problems. 

Sincerely yours,
Vassil
the Telerik team

Tina
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 May 2008, 01:06 AM
Hi ,
Hi I have the same problem. I am using Visual Studio 2008 and it crashes as soon as I try to put the RadGridView control on a Form.
Can u please send me the builf that fixes it as well?
Thanks a lot!
Martin Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 08 May 2008, 09:07 AM
Hi Tina,

Please find the answer in the support ticket that you opened about the same issue.

Best wishes,
Martin Vasilev
the Telerik team

Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 May 2008, 01:09 PM
i`m having the same issue with the radgridview, could you please send me the fix? thanks!!
Vassil Petev
Telerik team
answered on 14 May 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Daniel,

We expect to release a hotfix by the end of this week, so it will be best to wait for it. In case you are in a hurry, please open a support ticket with subject ID: 134483 and we will send you the custom build. Make sure to mention who the purchase owner of your company is, so that we can match you against your company's purchase.

Regards,
Vassil
the Telerik team

Tags
GridView
Asked by
Technik
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jack