This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Very Slow

3 Answers 315 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David Hosey
Top achievements
Rank 1
David Hosey asked on 06 Jun 2008, 12:39 PM
Hello,

My Master Report has 8 sub-Reports, each only returns 3 to 4 rows and they are all 5 columns. So there is no issue in terms of data size.
However when I run my master report it takes a long time to generate the report. I check in MS SQL and running and executing the store procedures, they all take less than 1 seconds to execute.

Is this because that I am using a Trial version (Evaluation) or Telerik Reporting are generally slow to generate?

Many Thanks,

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ivan
Telerik team
answered on 09 Jun 2008, 11:46 AM
Hi David,

Trial versions of all Telerik controls/products are fully functional and only display trial message on random basis. As I can see from your account status, you are entitled to dev version, so you can switch to using it instead, which of course would not make any performance wise difference.
Can you share what do you mean by  "
a long time" for generating the report? You will find attached a sample report according to your description that renders 8 subreports in 50 pages and it takes around 10 seconds for the rendering to complete. Can you review it and let us know what differs in your case? It would be best if you could modify our sample to show the erratic behavior you report and re-attach it here for review.
Anyway we
are aware that currently there are some performance bottle-necks, but  I can assure you that we work hard to improve the performance and it is getting better with each version we release. At this point every time the report is previewed or exported through the viewer it is processed and rendered from scratch. Obviously, this is not the best way to do this but we still miss any caching mechanisms.
Our current goal is to cover some basic reporting functionality we still lack and then we will move to the performance optimizations and productivity. This task is already in our TODO list and I hope we soon will have the chance to work on it - most likely Q3 2008.

Thank you for the understanding and please excuse us for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best wishes,
Ivan
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Shane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jun 2016, 08:35 PM
Hey, I'm having this exact same issue. I run the master report, which has about 30 sub reports, and it takes about a minute or so to load. However, if I run the sub report by itself, it takes 2 maybe 3 seconds?
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jun 2016, 12:57 PM
Hi Shane,

Each processing SubReport item creates a separate report object. Thus the performance is expected to be worse due to the additional resources which will be processed and rendered.
Suggestions how to optimize the report are available in Performance Considerations.

For more details, please refer to your support ticket #1043184.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
David Hosey
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Ivan
Telerik team
Shane
Top achievements
Rank 1