This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Upgrading to Q1 2013 Reporting has messed up reporting in all my projects! Please correct upgrade/installation instructions urgently as they seem to be faulty

5 Answers 128 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Patrick asked on 25 Feb 2013, 11:18 AM
(I posted this as a support ticket, but other users need to be aware, until this is fixed, that the upgrade process to Q1 2013 currently has major flaws so also posting it here).

Since I upgraded to Q1 2013 of Telerik Reporting, not only has my toolbox been messed up in Visual Studio 2012 (I can't see any Reporting controls, and Resetting the toolbox hasn't helped), but I can't add any data sources, and my previous projects (which used 2012 Q3 Telerik reporting) don't work any more: I just get a Loading ... title page when trying to view a report in a previous project.

Please help urgently, as this the installation documentation (and upgrade process) is clearly faulty/inadequate and I can't do any work on reporting aspects of our projects until this is fixed!

Thanks

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 25 Feb 2013, 03:54 PM
Hello Patrick,

A similar problem may occur if you open a project with Telerik Reporting reports using an older version while having a newer version installed as well. In rear cases Visual Studio IDE decides to disable all components/tool box items from the previous versions and allow only the latest ones. Unfortunately they are incompatible with the older versions of the product and thus one might end up with no toolbox items available.

We are aware of this pretty annoying behavior and looking for possible solution/workaround. In general upgrading the projects with reports to the latest version of Telerik Reporting should enable to toolbox items. If this does not help could you please try the suggestions from this forum thread Empty Data Source Type List in VS2012 in order to repair the toolbox and the data sources dialog.

Please let us know if this information helps.

All the best,
Stef
the Telerik team

See what's new in Telerik Reporting Q1 2013. Register for the March 4 webinar to witness the impressive new visualizations in Telerik Reporting. Just for fun, 10 webinar attendees will be randomly selected to win a Telerik T-shirt and a $50 Gift Certificate to ThinkGeek. Register now! Seats are limited!

Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Feb 2013, 04:51 PM
Sorry, but none of what you suggest has helped.  

All the problems I mention (ie empty tool box, unable to add a data source) are still there, even after I completely uninstalled any remaining Reporting versions (the update program had removed Q3 2012, but left Q1 2012), and the problems are there even if I have a brand new project in a solution all on its own (so in particular without any older projects which referenced earlier versions like Q3 2012).

As I pointed out before (in my support ticket), the "Missing Toolbox items" link that you mention (http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/reporting/general/missing-toolbox-items.aspx) is 2 years old, and doesn't contain enough information for me to be able to run the Telerik Reporting installer with logging enabled, because the path refers to the Q1 2011 release and the path where the Q1 2013 release appears to be installed, C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q1 2013, doesn't seem to contain any .msi installation file.

I repeat that the upgrade and installation instructions for Q1 2013 Reporting seem to be faulty/very out of date, please correct them urgently, so that I can actually get Reporting working again!  

Thanks
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 26 Feb 2013, 02:10 PM
Hi Patrick,

Although the sample command line reference a pretty older version the KB is still valid (the last revision is from Dec 6th, 2012).

Anyway you can always download the Telerik Reporting setup package from your account: log in first and navigating to Manage Products -> DevCraft Ultimate -> Dwonload Installer and other Resources -> Reporting -> Browse all product files -> Automatic Installation: Download Reporting.

In case you use the Telerik Control Panel please note that all packages are cached on your disk. You can find the download location from the Telerik Control Panel's Options dialog (available through the blue gear at top-right):

The rest is as described in the KB article, just change the path to the file and the name of the file.

There is one more thing you can try to reset the toolbox:

1. Close Visual Studio;
2. Open the "c:\Users\<your_user_name_here>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0" folder and remove all the .TBD files;
3. Run the "regedit" tool. For this click the "Run" item in the Start menu and type "regedit" without quotation marks;
4. Find the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller_AssemblyFoldersExCache" and
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache" keys;
5. Remove everything from these keys leaving them empty;
6. Run Visual Studio (with the logging enabled) again and wait until it recreates all items in the Toolbox. To enable to VS logging see here.

Once you have done resetting the VS toolbox you can test in a separate new solution/project whether you have Telerik Reporting Q1 2013 items in the toolbox.

Kind regards,
Stef
the Telerik team

See what's new in Telerik Reporting Q1 2013. Register for the March 4 webinar to witness the impressive new visualizations in Telerik Reporting. Just for fun, 10 webinar attendees will be randomly selected to win a Telerik T-shirt and a $50 Gift Certificate to ThinkGeek. Register now! Seats are limited!

Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Feb 2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks Stef for this answer which finally explains the missing information in the http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/reporting/general/missing-toolbox-items.aspx post about where to find the msi files.

I haven't had to use it because the problem now appears to have been resolved.  The solution seems to have involved not only removing all versions of Telerik Reporting and then reinstalling Reporting Q1 2013, but also resetting the Tool box in Visual Studio and then restarting Visual Studio.

So I think at the least the upgrade instructions ought to be modified to say that if the upgrader fails to do so, users will have to remove earlier versions of Telerik Reporting by hand (via Control Panel, uninstall programs).

Also, I think http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/reporting/general/missing-toolbox-items.aspx ought to be updated to explain how to find the reporting msi file.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 02 Mar 2013, 07:20 AM
Hello Patrick,

We will update the article according to the new install options with our control panel.
About your issue with the missing data source types, it was not reproduced at our side. In addition, we have noticed that you have downloaded versions since Q2 2011 SP1, which may have lead to messing references on your machine. As were mentioned in one of our support ticket discussions, we have added filters to our report designer, so the only shown tools version is corresponding to the loaded reporting references. We investigate if there are changes in Visual Studio behavior when our filters are applied. If there are any log files providing more information about the missing toolbox items or data source types, it would be helpful for our investigation. Beside this nothing points that major versions cannot exist side by side.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
Stef
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Stef
Telerik team
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2