This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Upgraded to Q3 2008 and everything dissapeared in IE6 & 7. Ok in Firefox and Chrome

9 Answers 183 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sylvain asked on 06 Nov 2008, 06:53 PM
Just upgraded to Q3 2008 and in IE6 and 7, my whole page is gone (blank) even though all the elements are in the page DOM. Disabling CSS and reenabling it, makes everything appear as it should. I use radsplitter and many other controls. This has never happened before!
Firefox and Chrome don't have the problem. This happens not just on my PC but others as well.
Any ideas?

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2008, 08:38 PM
I have the exact same problem. Anyone know why this is happening?
Wei
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2008, 09:07 PM
I had the same issue this morning.

After a bit of research it appears I have RadSplitter.VisibleDuringInit set to False will cause the issue. Set VisibleDuringInit to True will solve it but every time I reload page the layout will flash, such annoying!

Comeon Telerik you have got to release a fix for this "show stoper"!
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2008, 09:13 PM
Same result here: setting VisibleDuringInit="true" fixed the problem (including for nested radsplitters) but that's not the effect I want. Please issue a fix. Thanks.
Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 06 Nov 2008, 09:37 PM
Also confirming the bug and the work-around.
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2008, 12:28 AM
I also experienced the exact same problem.  Did they not test out the RadSplitter before deploying this release?  I like how setting visibleduringinit hides the panes until they are fully loaded.  In previous releases, this worked great.  They messed something up with this latest release.
Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2008, 09:57 AM
This is rediculous. Even the RadPanel is effected. I have sent a ticket about this matter and still have no reply. How do I use this build when some of my controls will simply not show up. TELERIK PLEASE ANSWER ..

Quick Update

So sorry, I just noticed that I had an embedded splitter which had VisibleOnLoad set to false. Setting it to True solved the problem. RadPanel was never the problem.
Accepted
Svetlina Anati
Telerik team
answered on 07 Nov 2008, 10:33 AM

Hello everyone,

Please accept our sincere appologies for the problem. We were able to reproduce it, and have prepared a workaround in the following sticky forum thread

http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/splitter/problem-with-visibleduringinit-false.aspx

The omission is clearly on our end, and I am deeply sorry for the frustration caused. Perhaps shedding more light on the origins of the issue is needed. By default VisibleDuringInit property is set to true.When it is set to false, the splitter renders invisible and is then shown once it completes calculating its size, and the size of its child panes. The way this was done has been changed from Q2 to Q3, and hence the introduction
of the problem. The change was made because of reports that elements, whose visibilitty is explicitly set to style=visibility:visible, are visible during the splitter intialization process, which was, of course, undesireable.

So, a new mechanism for hiding the splitter and its contents was devised. However, due to a bug in Internet Explorer rendering engine, the new mechanism turned out to expose the problem you encountered. If you examine your pages in any other supported browser, e.g. FireFox or Safari, you will notice that your controls render fine and are visible.

The problem "slipped under the radar" of our QAs for the following reasons:

- It is not manifested always, even in IE.
- The property must be set explicitly to encounter the problem, as the default property value is different.
- The problem only occurs in IE

and most important - the problem could not (and cannot) be detected by our our automated tests - since it is a purely visual (that is, everything is "technically" visible - even for IE - you can use a tool such as IEDevToolbar to verify that).

As a result, we are in the process of implementing additional procedures related to testing RadSplitter to ensure a problem of this kind does not occur again.

The sticky thread provides a workaround, that we believe is fairly easy - what you need to do is add 6 lines of javascript to your RadSplitter page. In addition to this, however, should you need a fixed Telerik.Web.UI build,
please contact us with a support message, and we will send you a custom build DLL as well.

Sincerely yours,

Svetlina
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
k f
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Nov 2008, 06:28 PM
Does not resolve the problem.

I made the change as described in the work around and the page still displays several different times just as it did before using VisibleDuringInit = false in previous versions.

Using .Net 3.5, IE 7.

<telerik:RadSplitter ID="radSplitLeftNav" runat="server" Skin="Office2007" Width="100%" Height="100%" OnClientLoaded="OnRadSplitLeftNavLoaded" > 
                <telerik:RadPane ID="radPaneLeft" runat="server" Scrolling="none" Width="25" Locked="true">  
                    <telerik:RadSlidingZone ID="radSlideLeft" runat="server" Width="22" Height="100%" BackColor="Red">  
                        <telerik:RadSlidingPane ID="radPane1" runat="server" Title="Projects" Width="110" Height="100%" > 
                            <asp:LinkButton ID="lbutPrjx" runat="server" OnClick="lbutPrjx_Click" Text=""><%= UIConfig.MainMenuConfig.ProjectMain%></asp:LinkButton> 
                            <br /> 
                            <asp:LinkButton ID="lbButPrjxEditor" runat="server" OnClientClick="OpenRadWindow('rWinPrjEdit', 'PrjEditorTabs.aspx', 900, 600);" ><%= UIConfig.MainMenuConfig.ProjectAdd %></asp:LinkButton> 
                        </telerik:RadSlidingPane>                          
                        <telerik:RadSlidingPane ID="radPane2" runat="server" EnableDock="true" Title="Staff" Width="100" Height="100%">       
                            <asp:LinkButton ID="lbButStaffEditor" runat="server" OnClick="lbButStaffEditor_Click" Text=""><%= UIConfig.MainMenuConfig.StaffEditText%></asp:LinkButton> 
                        <telerik:RadSlidingPane ID="radPaneStaff" runat="server" EnableDock="true" Title="Reporting" Width="100" Height="100%">                              
                        <telerik:RadSlidingPane ID="radPane3" runat="server" Height="100%">  
                    </telerik:RadSlidingZone> 
                </telerik:RadPane> 
                <telerik:RadSplitBar ID="radSplitLeft" runat="server"/>  
                <telerik:RadPane id="radPaneContent" runat="server" Scrolling="None">  
                    <asp:UpdatePanel ID="defaultUpdatePanel" runat="server" UpdateMode="Conditional">  
                        <ContentTemplate> 
                            <div id="#mastContent">  
                        <asp:PlaceHolder ID="defaultMainPnl" runat="server" />                      
                    </div> 
                        </ContentTemplate> 
                    </asp:UpdatePanel> 

</telerik:RadPane> 
            </telerik:RadSplitter> 
        <script type="text/javascript">  
            function OnRadSplitLeftNavLoaded(sender, args)   
            {  
                sender.get_element().style.visibility = 'inherit';  
                alert('Fired');  
            }   
</script> 
 You see I added an alert to make sure the code runs which it does.  But as mentioned I'm still back to the same problem of the page rendering one size and then stretching.
Tsvetie
Telerik team
answered on 25 Nov 2008, 07:33 AM
Hello,
I have already answered your other ticket with the same question. I will give the information here as well, so that it is available to all:

The sticky forum post describes how you can fix the problem with the VisibleDuringInit property, because you need to set it to "false". Otherwise, the initial resize operations of the splitter will be visible to the users of the site. That is why, you have to:
  1. Set VisibleDuringInit=false
  2. Apply the fix, described in the forum post.

Have a look at the code fragment from the forum post:

<telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter1" runat="server" VisibleDuringInit="false"      
    OnClientLoaded="OnClientLoaded"    

Best wishes,
Tsvetie
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
Wei
Top achievements