This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Upgrade Wizard for Kendo UI v2014.3.1316 fails

20 Answers 270 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Bryan asked on 18 Jan 2015, 11:55 PM
I just tried upgrading my VS2013 solution to v2014.3.1316 of the MVC UI. It's failed three times now. My solution has two MVC enabled projects using the 2014.3.1223 internal update (which I had to manually install for probably the same reason) in it and I tried to update both at the same time. I got the following error:

An error occurred while running the wizard.Error executing custom action Telerik.KendoUI.Mvc.VSX.Actions.MultiProjectCopyResourcesAction: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007007C): Error deleting file 'kendo.messages.ru-RU.min.js'. The system call level is not correct.   at EnvDTE.ProjectItem.Delete()
   at Telerik.VSX.ProjectConfiguration.ProjectFileManager.DeleteContents(String projectRelativePath, String excludePattern)
   at Telerik.KendoUI.Mvc.VSX.Actions.CopyResourcesAction.ModifyScripts(String mainAssemblyFolder, String versionedFolder)
   at Telerik.KendoUI.Mvc.VSX.Actions.CopyResourcesAction.ModifyResources()
   at Telerik.KendoUI.Mvc.VSX.Actions.CopyResourcesAction.Execute(WizardContext wizardContext, IPropertyDataDictionary arguments, IProjectWrap project)
   at Telerik.VSX.Actions.ProjectActionBase.Telerik.VSX.Actions.IProjectAction.Execute(IWizardContext wizardContext, IPropertyDataDictionary arguments, IProjectWrap projectWrap)
   at Telerik.VSX.Actions.MultiProjectActionBase`1.Execute(WizardContext wizardContext, IPropertyDataDictionary arguments)
   at Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine.Actions.ActionBase.Telerik.WizardFramework.IAction.Execute(IWizardContext wizardContext, IPropertyDataDictionary arguments)
   at Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine.ActionManager.ExecActions()

What gives?

20 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jan 2015, 01:14 AM
Further information: I tried running the upgrade wizard on the projects in my solution one at a time.

The first project that I tried upgrading is a class library that just uses the Kendo.Mvc.dll file and not the .css, .js, or editor template files. I was able to successfully upgrade it.

The second project that I tried upgrading is an MVC app that uses all the files. After the upgrade wizard ran for a while, Visual Studio stopped working and spontaneously restarted without an error message from the upgrade wizard. I examined the second project and found the following:

1. Under Content/kendo, the next folder was still 2014.3.1223 and all the files were reported as not existing in the project directory.
2. Under Scripts/kendo, the next folder was still 2014.3.1223 and all the files were reported as not existing in the project directory.
3. Under Views/Shared/EditorTemplates, all the Kendo editor template files were still checked into TFS.
4. The reference to Kendo.Mvc.dll was still to version 2104.3.1223 (2104 is not a typo).

I use TFS for source control and when I started the upgrade wizard, I had the latest version of my code and everything was checked in. In between failed attempts at using the upgrade wizard, I am able the undo all changes and return everything to where it was before the upgrade wizard started. I guessed that the upgrade wizard was crashing when it attempted to replace the editor templates that were checked in to TFS. So I tried again, this time checking out the editor templates before attempting to run the upgrade wizard. Sadly, the results were the same.

I really wish you would fix your upgrade wizard so that I don't have to manually upgrade my projects again. It used to work, but not now. Hopefully, the information I provided will help you figure out what is wrong.
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jan 2015, 02:01 PM
Hello Bryan,

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Could you please make sure that all scripts under Scripts\kendo folder and all the editor templates are available locally (see the attachment)?

Please let me know if that is the case.

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jan 2015, 04:09 PM
Hi Vesko,

Yes, prior to running the upgrade wizard, everything in the project under Content\kendo, Scripts\kendo, and Views\Shared\EditorTemplates is available locally. After the upgrade wizard runs and fails, the project file still thinks the kendo version is the previous one but all the files are gone because the upgrade wizard has deleted them. Undoing all changes in the solution from TFS restores everything to the state it was in prior to running the upgrade wizard.

Thanks,
-Bryan
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jan 2015, 09:49 AM
Hi Bryan,

Version 2104.3.1223 is not a valid one. There should be a match between the version of Kendo.Mvc and the name of the scrip folders that represents a version.

Please use the attached Kendo.Mvc.dll assembly (version 2014.3.1223) to manually upgrade your project references and give the Upgrade Wizard another try after that.

If that doesn't help it will be most convenient if you send us your projects to investigate the problem further.

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Jan 2015, 08:55 PM
The 2104.3.1223 folder name for the Kendo.Mvc.dll file was a typo on my part when I manually installed the 1223 internal build. I changed the folder name to 2014.3.1223 and updated the reference in my projects to match. Then I tried the update wizard again and it still failed just like it did before. Your upgrade wizard is not working and my project is too large to send them. My only option at this point seems to be to upgrade manually which is a real pain in the ass.
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jan 2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Bryan,

It seems that for some reason the extensions fail to remove files. It might be the file system, the source control repository, etc. Since we are not able to reproduce the problem I would suggest you the following steps:

1. Remove these folders:
\Scripts\kendo\
\Content\kendo\
\Views\Shared\EditorTemplates
2. Remove Kendo.Mvc reference.
3. Convert the project back to Telerik one (Telerik | UI for ASP.NET MVC | Convert to Telerik Application).

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik

Will
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Jan 2015, 04:14 PM
Just to chime in, I have also just stumbled into this problem.  Upgrading can only do good things, right?
Will
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Jan 2015, 05:04 PM
Actually, my scenario is a bit different but the results are similar.

I had just included several previously excluded projects back into my (VS2013) solution.  They had references to an older version, 2014.3.1119.???, which caused build errors so I figured while I was at it, I'd upgrade the whole solution to the latest.

The upgrade wizard finished without errors.

However, the upgrade wizard always misses my Interface-only assemblies so I went back through them and changed the references manually.

I did see an unexpected mix of version numbers but once I finally resolved all of those errors, the build was still failing with access issues:

Error   13  Could not copy "obj\Debug\FarmingtonCo.Common.Interfaces.dll" to "bin\Debug\FarmingtonCo.Common.Interfaces.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed.    FarmingtonCo.Common.Interfaces

Error   14  Unable to copy file "obj\Debug\FarmingtonCo.Common.Interfaces.dll" to "bin\Debug\FarmingtonCo.Common.Interfaces.dll". The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.
    FarmingtonCo.Common.Interfaces

When I try to maually delete the target file in the bin\debug folder, I see the error:

Error deleting file 'FarmingtonCo.Common.Interfaces.dll'.  The system call level is not correct.

Will
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Jan 2015, 05:21 PM
I've managed to resolve my problem by deleting the problem files in the bin folders (several different projects) using File Explorer rather than Visual Studio. VS had to be closed first.  FYI: attempting a "Clean" on the solution had failed with "access denied" errors on the files in question.
Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 03 Feb 2015, 09:12 AM
Hi Will,

I am glad to hear you managed to solve the issue and your project is up and running.

Feel free to contact us in case any questions occur.

Regards,
Dyanko
Telerik

Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Feb 2015, 11:01 PM
The upgrade wizard is still broken in the same way in v2014.3.1411. I've now confirmed the problem for two completely different apps. Sure would be nice if you guys would fix it.
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 16 Feb 2015, 04:56 PM
Hi Bryan,

Did you try the steps suggested in my previous reply? In addition I would suggest you to disconnect from TFS and give the wizard another try (just to check if TFS causes the issue).

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik

Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Feb 2015, 07:52 AM
I don't have the time to tinker with this anymore. I need to spend my time working on my own code, not debugging yours. I'll just continue manually updating until you fix your project updater.
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 18 Feb 2015, 04:05 PM
Hello Bryan,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Your feedback is important to identify the issue because we are not able to reproduce it.

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik

Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Apr 2015, 08:19 PM
The upgrade wizard still crashes on my projects when trying to go from version 2014.3.1411 to version 2015.1.318. Sure wish you guys would fix this since manually upgrading versions is a pain and potentially error prone. I might also suggest that you consider using a nuget package instead of your current deployment mechanism. Everything else I use is working through nuget.
Will
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Apr 2015, 11:00 AM
I agree that NuGet would be a better way to go.  Every time I upgrade, I have to go through my solution and manually adjust the projects that the Upgrade Wizard misses.  And why do I keep seeing multiple versions after a single upgrade: 2015.1.318.440 & 2015.1.318.545?
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 08 Apr 2015, 03:01 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Will, the reason why you see multiple versions is that your projects target different ASP.NET MVC frameworks. The upgrade wizard detects the version of ASP.NET MVC in each project in the solution and choose the correct version of Kendo.Mvc.dll (x.y.z.340 for MVC3, x.y.z.440 for MVC4 and x.y.z.545 for MVC5).
Please share with us which Telerik assemblies are referenced in the projects that are not upgraded. The wizard should't miss projects as far as they are in the same solution and they are selected in the wizard.

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik

See What's Next in App Development. Register for TelerikNEXT.

Will
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Apr 2015, 06:47 PM

Thanks Vesko!,

I had no idea that was the scheme.  I guess I have a messed up solution if I'm seeing multiple versions.  It should all be for MVC5.

KendoMvc.dll is the Telerik assembly in the projects that are not upgraded.

The projects that are consistently passed over are projects that are exclusively C# interfaces.  All of them are skipped every time.  They have interfaces in them that reference the DataSourceRequest and DataSourceResult.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;

using Kendo.Mvc.UI;

namespace FarmingtonCo.Cac.Accounts.Interfaces
{
    public interface IAccountManager
    {
        DataSourceResult GetAccountListDS(DataSourceRequest request);
        DataSourceResult GetAccountCodeListDS(DataSourceRequest request);
        DataSourceResult GetAccountNameListDS(DataSourceRequest request);
        DataSourceResult GetAccountStatusListDS(DataSourceRequest request);      
    }
}

I do very occasionally see a problem with other types of projects but not enough to complain about. 

Thanks again,

Will

Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 09 Apr 2015, 02:35 PM
Hello Will,

We need to investigate this issue further. Please open a support ticket and attach the .proj files of the projects that are not upgraded.

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik

See What's Next in App Development. Register for TelerikNEXT.

Will
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2015, 02:42 PM
Ok, I will do that.
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by