This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Update removed Implicit Theme(2013.1.403.45)

4 Answers 104 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Patrick asked on 04 Apr 2013, 04:49 PM
I installed the WPF SP1 update this morning to my application and it removed my Implicit Theme.  Did I do something wrong?  Should I have chosen the No-XAML version during the Upgrade?  How do I re-add my Theme correctly?  I found the binaries for that theme but now it crashes when I start Debugging.

EDIT:

Never mind, I still don't understand why it removed my Theme dll references but I was able to re add my implicit theme.

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Biliana Ficheva
Telerik team
answered on 05 Apr 2013, 06:13 AM
Hi Patrick,

Yes, during the upgrade you should choose the No Xaml distribution if your project uses Implicit Styles. If you choose the regular distribution the project will be upgraded and it will no longer use Implicit styles.
When a project do not use Implicit Styles it don't need any references to themes assemblies, so such references are deleted.
If you still want to use Implicit Styles you should upgrade your project again, choosing the No Xaml distribution. After that you could use the Add reference option (right click on the References node in the Solution Explorer) in order to browse to the Theme dll you want to add in the project.
And finally you should update the App.xaml file if this is needed.
Detailed information on how to use Implicit Styles you could find here: http://www.telerik.com/help/wpf/styling-apperance-implicit-styles-overview.html.

I hope this information was helpful. However do not hesitate to write again if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Biliana Ficheva
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

N Mackay
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2013, 02:38 PM
Hi,

Am I missing something, I'm using VS2012 Update 2 (which I applied to hopefully improve the woeful XAML performance in design mode...which it doesn't), I saw no option for implicit themes and I'm using the latest Studio extension for Telerik.

What it did was trample over my implicit themes in my resource library and deleted all the changes I'd made (with your assistance) to the RadOutlookBar to extend it's behavior with asking me (no Implicit option and no warning). Thankfully I'm wise enough from previous upgrade wizard disasters (maybe 3 successful out of 8) to have taken a backup 1st as I don't trust the backup option so it's not a disaster but it's really poor.

Also everything seems slower with Update 2 which is disappointing.

Don't mean so sound overly critical as I've a big fan of Telerik components and I've recommended Telerik them to others who've gone on to purchase them but stuff like this makes you sometimes wish you hadn't, it's always the upgrade wizard!

Odd thing is it 'thankfully' avoided a similar resource dll in another project.

Disappointing.

(edit)
Forgot to mention, when I pressed cancel in the 2nd project it went ahead and did it anyway. Nice.

Biliana Ficheva
Telerik team
answered on 10 Apr 2013, 11:33 AM
Hi Norman,

You are right that there is no option for implicit themes in our Upgrade wizard. This is because the selected distribution itself defines whether implicit styles will be used.

For example let suppose that we have created a project which uses implicit styles. If RadControls for WPF, v.2013.1.403.40 distribution is selected in the upgrade wizard this means that the project will no longer use implicit styles after the upgrade. If RadControls for WPF (No XAML), v.2013.1.403.40 distribution is selected in the upgrade wizard this means that the project will still use implicit styles after the upgrade.

I know that this is not clear enough for our clients, so we will do our best to improve the upgrade process for some of the next releases.

As for the deleted changes in your resource library  this is expected because while upgrade we update all Themes files included in the project when it was created. If you have modified this files (in the directory structure which was created during project creation), during upgrade they will be replaced with the new version and all changes will be lost.

In order not to loose your changes you could create a custom folder in your project and copy all your modified Themes there.

You are right that it is a good idea to ask whether the Themes should be updated or not, so I will log this in our product backlog for future consideration.

Kind regards,
Biliana Ficheva
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

N Mackay
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Apr 2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Biliana,

Thanks for your feedback.

Personally I'd like to see the option rather than fire and forget (and peek through the gaps between your fingers) :)

Thanks again,
Norman.

Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Biliana Ficheva
Telerik team
N Mackay