This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Unexpected Error Has occurred on install ... 2016_4_1208_2

8 Answers 87 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rob Ainscough asked on 17 Jan 2017, 07:19 PM

After downloading and trying to install Telerik Control Panel Setup 2016_4_1208_2 I get the following error after I enter my login credentials:

"Unexpected Error has occurred" 

"application needs to close"

This is on Windows 10 64bit 1607.

No error events (or any events related to Telerik) are listed in the OS Event Log.

Suggestions?

Rob.

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Josef Rogovsky
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 18 Jan 2017, 05:18 AM

There's a newer version of the Control Panel available here: https://www.telerik.com/download-trial-file/v2/control-panel.

The version is 2016_4_1317_1.

I had the previous version of the Control Panel installed and ran it a few minutes ago because I wanted to change my installed packages.

A message came up saying that the version was out of date and I should download the new version at the above link.

Usually, the Control Panel app auto updates. They must be in the process of transitioning how it works.

Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jan 2017, 12:05 PM
Hello Rob,

I apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with our product.

Yesterday we have released a new version of the Telerik Control Panel and you tried to install it while we were in the process of releasing. After you have logged in the application attempted to retrieve the files necessary for the installation from the service, but failed to do so, due to the ongoing release and as a result the error occurred.

When you run the Telerik Control Panel now, you should get the message described by Josef. Then you will be able to get the latest installer and complete the product installation.

If you encounter any other difficulties please get back to us fro further assistance.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Nick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jan 2017, 01:50 PM
Am I correct in that the new Control Panel doesn't actually install, but is a standalone application?
Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jan 2017, 03:00 PM
Hello Nick,

You are right that the TelerikControlPanelSetup executable doesn't install the actual product when run. However if you use it to install or modify another product the Telerik Control Panel will be installed on your machine with its msi installer. That would add the benefit of product update and subscription expiration notifications, which are not available otherwise.

This is the approach we have followed for some time now and is not related to the latest release.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jan 2017, 05:41 PM

Issue is resolved with the newer version 2016_4_1317_1 ... the web page I used (from my account page) had two different links to the control panel versions.  One was to the older version, and one to the newer version.

Cheers, Rob.

Nick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jan 2017, 05:53 PM

It's not a big deal, but what I meant was that the Telerik Control Panel used to get installed as a program available in the Start menu and under installed programs in Add/Remove Programs.

This new exe just seems to run. There's no installation of the actual Control Panel setup itself.

Nick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jan 2017, 05:57 PM
Ah, I see it now. It's      
Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 19 Jan 2017, 01:14 PM
Hi Nick,

Apologies for not being clear enough in my previous post.

The TelerikControlPanelSetup executable unpacks all the resources it needs in the %temp% folder and that allows it to run on machines without Telerik Control Panel installation. Each time the executable is launched the resources are unpacked again. Nothing is actually installed on the machine.

If a Telerik product is installed/modified through the executable the Telerik Control Panel is also installed with its offline (.msi) installer. This adds the Control Panel in the Telerik folder under Program Files / Program Files (x86), in the Start Menu and in the Windows Control Panel. A desktop shortcut is also deployed.

If you have other questions or concerns, please get back to us for further assistance.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik by Progress
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Josef Rogovsky
Top achievements
Rank 2
Nikola
Telerik team