This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Tooltip in Sharepoint 2007 WebPart

8 Answers 78 Views
ToolTip
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Kai
Top achievements
Rank 2
Kai asked on 18 Aug 2010, 10:31 AM
Hi all,

I've created a WebPart for SharePoint 2007. It has a RepeaterControl to display some list values. Now I want to add Telerik Tooltip (on mouseover) to it. As I have to render the Repeater on my own, I don't know how to add Telerik Tooltip there. It should only appear for my WebPart, not as a change to the whole webserver. Is there any example?

Thanks in advance!

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Svetlina Anati
Telerik team
answered on 19 Aug 2010, 10:47 AM
Hi Kai,

I already answered your support thread and for your convenience and for others who might have teh same question I pasted it below:

Basically, when you use a RadToolTip in SharePoint you should configure it in the same manner and logic as outside the SharePoint environment. In specific scenarios and settings, you might encounter a positioning problem due to using quirks mode (this is the main difference in a SharePoint scenario) but as far as I understand you have not encounter such an issue but you have not tooltipified the records yet.

What I can suggest is the following:

1) First, determine whether separate RadToolTips or a RadToolTipManager suits better your scenario - more about the differences in usage is available below:

http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/tooltip/examples/tooltipversustooltipmanager/defaultcs.aspx

2) After you have decided what exactly you want to use, examine the particular online demos which show how to set the target controls and how to populate teh content. The demos are available here:

http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/tooltip/examples/overview/defaultcs.aspx

3) After you have gone through the steps above, the tooltips with the relevant information should start showing with teh same code, no matter you use SharePoint or not. 

If you encounter a problem either with the steps above or with specific behavior after you have already the tooltips showing, please provide more details, e.g what kind of list you are using, etc or best - prepare a simple, fully runnable reproduction demo based on your code with a standard ASP.NET WebSite which is without a DOCTYPE declaration and teh content is in a WebUserControl - this should simulate teh SharePoint scenario and once I receive it along with your explanations, I will modify it according to your requirements and you will then be able to apply the same logic in your original application.

I hope that my reply is helpful, let me know how it goes.

All the best,
Svetlina
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Kai
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Aug 2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Svetlina,

I've decided to use RadToolTipManager and it works quite fine. Only problem: When I move my mouse pointer over the left Sharepoint nvaigation bar a JavaScript Error comes up saying "Object expected".
I'm using
  • Telerik RadControls 2010 Q2 (2010.2.713.35) from BIN35 directory
  • Visual Studio 2008 (VB.net)
  • Compile on .net Framework 3.5

I'll send you an example video and a test control via Mail as I could not attach it here. Many thanks for your support.
The problem is repeatable with following steps:
  1. Create a new WebPart and configure project settings accordingly.
  2. Declare ScriptMan in the class
    Dim ScriptMan As Telerik.Web.UI.RadScriptManager
  3. Add the following code to OnInit:
    Protected Overrides Sub OnInit(ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
              MyBase.OnInit(e)
              ' Register the ScriptManager 
              ScriptMan = CType(Telerik.Web.UI.RadScriptManager.GetCurrent(Me.Page),  _
                      Telerik.Web.UI.RadScriptManager)
              If ScriptMan Is Nothing Then
                  ScriptMan = New Telerik.Web.UI.RadScriptManager
                  ScriptMan.ID = "RadScriptManager1"
                  ScriptMan.EnablePartialRendering = True
                  Page.Form.Controls.Add(ScriptMan)
              End If
          End Sub
  4. Compile and deploy webpart.
  5. As soon as I add it to my webPage I get the error as soon as I move the mouse pointer over the left Sharepoint navigation bar. If I remove the webpart or the OnInit-Block, everything works fine again.
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 27 Aug 2010, 01:12 PM
Hello Kai,

Thank you for sending a demo via a support ticket. We reviewed it but we don't think the problem is caused by RadScriptManager. Can you test the same scenario using standard asp ScriptManager and let us know of your findings?

Peter
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Kai
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Aug 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Peter,

yes, it also happens with the standard scriptmanager :-( Thanks for the advice. I've searched around but did not find any clue. As it already happens as soon as I add the standard scriptmanager I think this is a general problem, so I'm surprised I did not find anything on the net regarding this. If you have any ideas I would be very grateful, but I know it's out of your scope. I'll check whether I find some info on some sharepoint forums.
Thanks a lot!
Kai
Svetlina Anati
Telerik team
answered on 01 Sep 2010, 01:36 PM
Hello Kai,

Is there any chance that your project is configured to use ASP.NET 4.0 and not 3.5 ? If so, we recently found a problem which is very similar to what you describe and the issue is fixed in the release which was the next one after yours and which is the latest one, namely 2010.2.826. What I can suggest is to upgrade to it and test again. If this does not help, please send us a live url and I will check it out and see what could be done.

Best wishes,
Svetlina
the Telerik team
Kai
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 03 Sep 2010, 08:00 AM
Hi Svetlina,

I'm not sure because currently we've licensed VS 2005 & 2008 but not 2010... We will check whether this is an option for us.

However, many thanks for investigating!

Best regards
Kai
Kai
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 01 Oct 2010, 09:36 AM
Hi all,
the problem was caused by missing elements in web.config. Syncing web.config with your configuration instructions at http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/moss-install-aspnet-ajax-35.html fixed the problem.
Many thanks for your support!
Kai
Svetlina Anati
Telerik team
answered on 01 Oct 2010, 12:27 PM
Hello Kai,

We are glad to hear that you were able to resolve the problem. In case you face any other problems related to RadControls, do not hesitate to contact us again.

All the best,
Svetlina
the Telerik team
Tags
ToolTip
Asked by
Kai
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Svetlina Anati
Telerik team
Kai
Top achievements
Rank 2