I'm actually trying to get out from TFS ;) We are currently using ONLY tfs for the tickets and I want to get out of it. We don't use any other feature of TFS ( Source control = no , Build server = no ) so it makes for us to use a simpler (TFS is just too complex ) system.
Could you explain how the Sync it's achieved ?? What are the rules for the sync?
We also have our OWN Bug tracking system working years now so If we could interface it with teamPulse == problem solved. Is this possible? I would expect to have an ICustomBugTrackingProvider
- IEnumerable<IBugItem> GetBugsForStory ( int storyID)
If you give this entry point as an interface/pluggable service then :
- You can hook with TFS
- You can implement your own TeamPulse tables / entry forms for bugs
- I can implement that interface against my own bug tracking system.
The most important thing is the relation between tickets (bugs /extra non-planned tasks) and TeamPulse.
If a User Story is closed but a bug is found and related to the user story the "normal"flow is to put back that user story in the backlog but a special status "reopened". (Please don;t send me links telling that it should not happen according to Agile methodologies because it still does happen no matter how intense you make your specs + tests .. )
It's extremely important to navigate from the Story to the Bugs found. I would expect an "extra tab" called "Inicidents" (if you agile people find bugs too old fashion term ;) ) Those Incidents are taken from whatever system you want ( TeamPulse , TFS o other). It's basically impemented with a call to IEnumerable<IBugItem> GetBugsForStory ( int storyID) .
In your Q3 Roadmap it's mentioned that you are going to improve the developers point of View. And it's true that's REALLY needed. Several developers in my team said to me: "nice tool but where is my task list!! " So obviously it's not clear from their POV. For a DEV that works on a much deeper/atomic layer than PM's they need to have the MyTasks (currently not present!
My conclusion so far is : If you don't have a relation with a ticketing system you can't use TeamPulse for Developers and that breaks the concept of the tool.Because you don;'t want to ADD Bugs as stories.
I was expecting TeamPulse to be the "entry" point for my developers. Currently it's not practical without the MyTasks concept.
- Stories assigned to ME for this iteration (ok, this is the only thing in TeamPulse today) +
- Tasks for this iteration (not included in TeamPulse) (unbelievalbe I can't find this currently on team pulse, don't forget that a User Story has 1 Assigned to but inside the story there are tasks assigned to other people, this flow is currently not good implemented in TeamPulse) . As A developer I want at least to know that in 2 days i need to do something related to another developers user story. This tasks assigned to me ARE part of my Tasks.
- Bugs in Stories inside this iteration (not included in TeamPulse) : currently this need to be solved with other tools.