This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Telerik Visual Studio Extensions common crash

24 Answers 1709 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Telerik Admin asked on 18 Oct 2012, 09:18 AM
Since the Q3 2012 release we have identified a common scenario when Telerik Visual Studio extensions crash which leads to various problems when using any Telerik project template or wizard. The crash happens when you have multiple Telerik Visual Studio extensions with different versions (e.g. Q2 2012 SP2 and Q3 2012).

To resolve the issue you need to ensure that all Telerik Visual Studio extensions installed have the same version. If you are using Visual Studio 2010/2012 the easiest way is to upgrade all Telerik Visual Studio extensions to the latest version (which is the same) through the Visual Studio Extension Manager.

For Visual Studio 2008 you need to upgrade all Telerik products with Visual Studio extensions to the same version using the Telerik Trial Web Installer or the Telerik Control Panel.

We are currently resolving the issue on our side so that no crashes happen in future releases. Please excuse the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
Petar Raykov
The Telerik team

Update:
As some customers reported issues resulting in being unable to perform the above procedure or it not helping in all cases we created a very simple tool for cleaning all Telerik VS Extensions older than our latest version.

You can find the patch attached to this post. Make sure you do not have any running Visual Studio instances when you run the tool.

Note: Running the patch will resolve all version-conflict-related issues (including Visual Studio crashes outlined in this post), but will leave you without VSExtensions in case you have not installed our latest version. The easiest way to get those back is just getting the extensions once more through the Visual Studio Online Gallery.

24 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 05:09 PM
As stated in a previous post, this installation has caused me nothing but grief. I can no longer open any of my projects in Visual Studio 2010 and can't even create a new Telerik project without it killing Visual Studio.

If you had known problems, why did you notify us of the upgrade and allow us to download and install it? This is a nightmare. I have major deadlines and can't even open my projects to work on them. You need to shut this version down until you get it fixed.

This is more than just the extensions. I open the Telerik VS extension manager and the entire panel was black -- couldn't read any text, white checkboxes. I clicked the button to proceed anyway, and who knows what it did, but it didn't fix anything.

I also used the Telerik installer to upgrade every Telerik project. Did a shutdown and restart and still opening or creating a Telerik project kills Visual Studio.

I have two very angry customers right now. Sigh.

Attached is the screenshot of your VSExtensions Settings.

Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 06:18 PM
I could not recover my system as it did not have a recover point.

So I uninstalled every single Telerik and Kendo Web UI product... they were all this Q3 version. The Telerik Extension manager still thought I had Kendo installed even though it was uninstalled and not in my control panel.

I tried one at a time after every uninstall and VS was still unexpectedly shut down. I finally got to the Q3 Ajax and uninstalled it and finally my projects load. They are still using the previous version in the BIN directory.

When I tried to reinstall the previous RadControlsForAspNetAjaxControlPanel_2012_2_912.exe version, it errored several times and wouldn't allow me to install it.

I also suspect the Telerik installer will install the newer version that caused the problem. So I guess I'll wait until they fix everything before I reinstall.

Please let me know when you have a fixed version ready to download.
Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 06:59 PM
I've had the same VS2012 crashing problem today following a Q2 to Q3 upgrade. I've uninstalled all Telerik products (although RadControls for WPF Q2 2012 SP2 fails to uninstall properly). I've uninstalled CodeRush and I've even uninstalled and re-installed VS2012. None of this makes any difference. The reinstalled VS2012 still crashes even though I've not installed any of the Telerik products. This is a disaster for me!!!!! Please work out what's wrong and issue a fix ASAP.

I find that VS2012 goes into a "waiting for a background operation to complete" crash as soon as I click on a WinForms dialog that has a tab control.

All of this started following the Q2 to Q3 upgrade.

If anyone knows how to make VS2012 work again please let me know!

Andrew
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 08:04 PM
Andrew,

I uninstalleld everything using the control panel, just in case you used a Telerik uninstaller (if that exists).

Make sure you uninstall Kendo as well, it is alphabetically in a different location in the control panel add/remove programs.

I feel your pain. I was nearly in tears and just don't have time for this kind of nightmare.

I hope you get it worked out.

Also, when I went back into VS2010, if the Telerik menu still shows, then something is still installed and the Telerik Extensions will show what it thinks are installed.

Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 09:27 PM
I found a solution...I was struggling to uninstall the WPF 2012 Q2 package. The uninstaller would run but appeared not to do anything. The application would still be listed in "Programs and Features". The problem was that SqlExpress has the Northwind.mdf database held open (in WPF..Demos..somewhere). I manually stopped the SqlExpress service and the uninstaller then successfully removed WPF 2012 Q2.

Having now removed all the Telerik products, removed CodeRush, removed and re-installed VS 2012 I can confirm that VS has stopped crashing!!!

Now do I dare try and install Q3 from scratch? To be honest this whole issue has cost me about 24 hours, I'm tempted to kick the whole lot into the bin. I'm really not very impressed!

Andrew
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 09:55 PM
Andrew,

Are you saying you've not used the product before?

I have used Telerik's products since 2007 and I wouldn't do a project without them. This release is crummy and has been a time-waster, but overall, you will save far more time using the controls once they get this snafu fixed. They have fantastic support and product.

I use practically every ASP.NET Ajax control they have. I pretty much only do web form apps, so I haven't gotten into the others yet.

Moon
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 05:05 PM
Hello All,

I just updated the post with a tool which should help you get back to your work as quick as possible, without having to reinstall any products or Visual Studio.

Let me know if that helps.

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Jay
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 06:58 PM
Worked like a charm for my VS2012 setup.  Thank you Andrey!
Gareth
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Oct 2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks, at least I'll be back up and running today, complete waste of a day yesterday though.
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Oct 2012, 05:14 PM
Gareth,

Please let me know how it goes. I'm gun-shy to go through this again! LOL
Gareth
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Oct 2012, 06:30 PM
Worked for me mate. Fix came a bit late given that I'd already uninstalled / reinstalled etc, but at least I'm now up and running
Markus Wolff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Oct 2012, 06:56 PM
Hello,

I ran the patch but still my VS 2010 is crashing. I Upgraded from Q3 2010 (sic) directly to Q3 2012.
Extension Manager still shows me the following Extensions:
- Telerik MVC VS Extensions (2012.3.1016.0)
- Telerik Reporting Extension (6.2.12.1017)
- Telerik UserSettings VS Extension (1.2)
- Telerik WPF VSExtensions (2012.3.1016.0)
- Telerik Common Package (1.0)

I'll try to uninstall all now.
I could send you a memory dump if that helps you to spot the problem.

Kind regards,
Markus
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Oct 2012, 03:11 PM
Update: After having uninstalled everything the other day. I reinstalled the latest release, and loaded up VS and it of course crashed. I then installed the patch and now my first project compiles, works great, and even has the radEditor bug fix I reported a few weeks ago. So all is well with the world again, (except for of course the weather on the east coast).

WebTeam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Oct 2012, 04:05 PM
This got me too, I thought being a new customer to Telerik I had messed something up in the 2 weeks I had it installed on my brand new development machine I bought specially. After a week of enjoying my new environment the dreaded Telerik update poped up and I had trouble for the whole last week being completely unable to open any projects in VS.

Thankfully this answer came through today and the patch fixed the issue, my next sad step was to start stipping things out, so I am glad this came through when it did.

Thanks,

Andy
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Oct 2012, 08:53 PM
After installing the new Q3 version and the patch, my RadButtons are now ignoring my CssClass style to some degree. It has no background color.

I am uploading an image. The one with the blue background uses Q2 controls and the one with the pale background has Q3 controls. I have changed no source code.

Anyone else having that problem?

Petar
Telerik team
answered on 30 Oct 2012, 04:51 PM
Hello Moon,

Can you open a new ticket in regards to the RadButtons issue that you have mentioned since it is not related to the deployment and the VS integration of the components?

Thank you!

All the best,
Petar
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Nov 2012, 03:02 PM
I think it has to be said guys.  We put a good deal of trust in Telerik to TEST their products and installers PRIOR to releasing them to your customers.  It is clear that Telerik does not have a comprehensive testing program for the installers.  This is a big deal as you can read from the posts above.  This costs your customers time, money, and productivity.  In some cases it can be crippling to our businesses.  I have noticed that there have been issues with the installer of various forms for quite some time now.  As a customer I would like to hear that you are going to throw some significant resources at creating a STABLE upgrade process.  We all pay a lot for these services and need them to be reliable.  I think Telerik owes an explanation to its customers as to what sort of corrective action plan you are putting in place to prevent these kind of issues in future releases. 

By the way, your products are awesome!  Don't tarnish your reputation by rushing things to market without testing.

Thanks,
David
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 06 Nov 2012, 03:49 PM
Hello David,

I am truly sorry for all the inconvenience that we have caused.

I want to assure you that in Telerik we all value our customers' time. We understand how issues in our products affect you and your work thus we try to address any issues as soon as we identify them. As a result we have created this forum thread and a patch so that you can resolve the issue on your side immediately. We have also implemented a fix on our side so that such problem doesn't happen in future.

I also want to say that we constantly work on improving the products that we ship to you. Each release that we prepare goes through thorough validation process. Nevertheless issues may slip from our validation. If it happens we try to address those issues immediately.

Please excuse the troubles that you have encountered with the latest release. Our goal is and always has been to make your life easier not worse.

Regards,
Petar
the Telerik team
Quan Nguyen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 05:05 PM

Could anyone please tell me where I can download the tool that Andrey was talking about as below. I can't find it. Please help.

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 (permalink)

Hello All,

I just updated the post with a tool which should help you get back to your work as quick as possible, without having to reinstall any products or Visual Studio.

Let me know if that helps.

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Quan,

It's attached to the first post in this thread.

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team
Timothy Lee Russell
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 08 Nov 2012, 05:04 AM
I am having this problem installing with the Telerik Control Panel ... I did not have different versions of the vsextensions installed.  This was fresh out of the block adding several of the Telerik components included with subscription.  I had to remove all Telerik vsextensions so that Visual Studios 2012 would not crash consistently every time it was loaded.

As 11/7/2012, this does not appear to be fixed with the current installer.
Timothy Lee Russell
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 08 Nov 2012, 06:01 AM
But...running the attached fix worked for me.

Thanks!
Timothy
Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Mar 2013, 08:24 PM
I'm consistently getting extension loading errors at VS start-up (Using latest versions/patches for VS2012, Telerik ASP.NET MVC, Kendo UI DataViz, and Kendo UI for ASP.NET MVC, and Telerik Reporting).

I've tried the posted fix, uninstalling, patching, and a several other things without luck.  Any ideas?
Chavdar Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 25 Mar 2013, 04:53 PM
Hello,

Thank you for sending a screenshot!

Could you, please, send us the ActivityLog.xml mentioned in the Visual Studio message too? This would be helpful in determining the reason for the package to not load correctly.

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
Chavdar,
the Telerik team
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Andrew