This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Telerik Version 2009.01.0402.20 compatible with .Net Framework 4.5?

11 Answers 503 Views
Miscellaneous
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 1
Abhishek asked on 02 Jul 2015, 12:07 PM

Hi There,

We support an application which uses telerik dlls 2009.01.0402.20

We are planning to upgraded to 4.5 framework and I have the following queries

1. Will the current version (2009.01.0402.20) of Telerik work for 4.5 framework as well?
2. If the current version is not compatble with .NET framework then which version we should be using?
3. Are there any specific steps to be followed for upgrade. I believe we can simple update the project references and the entries in the config files?

Grateful if someone can advise at the earliest convenience.

Thanks,
Abhishek Chauhan

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jul 2015, 06:57 AM

Please can someone respond to my query.

Thanks In Advance,

Abhishek Chauhan

Accepted
Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jul 2015, 02:54 PM
Hi Abhishek,

The 4.5 version of .NET Framework was officially released in the middle of August 2012 and so there are not .NET 4.5 compatible DLLs included into the controls version from 2009 used by you. The first official version of the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX providing .NET 4.5 support is 2012 Q3 (2012.3.1016) and this is the minimum version of the control to which you have to upgrade.

As for the upgrading itself, the easiest way to do it is to follow the instruction from the following blog post: Upgrade Your Telerik ASP.NET Controls in 6 Easy Steps. Note, though, that 3 years are much time for development and there might be important changes introduced in the controls during this time span. This is why, I would advice that you make a back-up of the project and review the Release notes of the controls before the upgrade, checking for changes that may break your current implementation: Release history.

Regards,
Vessy
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jul 2015, 05:28 AM

Hi Vessy,

Many thanks for the reply. We may have to use the new features in the near future so we would anyways upgrade to the latest version only.

I have just one more query, may be you can help me with that as well. I have .Net Framework 4.5 on my system. I am still referring to the old Telerik version (just added the Telerik.Web.UI dll version-2009.01.402.20 to Visual Studio 2012 solution). I am getting the below error in design mode when I add Telerik controls to any of the pages however the controls are displayed properly and everything works as expected when I run the code/solution (I was expecting an error)? Is this the expected behavior in case the Telerik version is not compatible with the target framework?

Error Message in design mode- "Failed to create designer 'Telerik.Web.UI.RadCalender", Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.1.402.20, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyTone=121fae78165ba3d4"

Not sure if this error is because of the fact that I haven't added the reference to Telerik.Web.Design dll?

Web Config Entry-

<add name="Telerik" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.1.402.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"/>

Again, I am not concerned about the error in the design mode, I just want to understand how come I am not getting any error when I run the solution.

Thanks,

Abhishek Chauhan

Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jul 2015, 05:17 PM
Hi Abhishek,

Yes, as per your assumption the experienced error is caused because of a missing Telerik.Web.Design.dll reference. You can find detailed information on this matter and how it can be fixed in the following help article: http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/general-information/troubleshooting/design-time-troubleshooting#design-time-issues-with-visual-studio-2008

Regards,
Vessy
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2015, 08:03 AM

Hi Vessy,

Thanks again for the confirmation however I have already mentioned that I am not much concerned about the error in design mode. My question is that if the version (2009.01.0402.20) I am suing is not compatible with .Net framework 4.5 then how come I am not getting any relevant error. You have already confirmed that once I add the reference to Telerik.Web.Design to the project (following instructions given in the URL provided by you), the design mode error will be fixed i.e. everything will work as expected (which is not exactly what I was expecting; I was hoping to get some error suggesting that the version used is not compatible with .Net framework 4.5).

Here I am only concerned to establish that the version 2009.01.0402.20 is not going to work with .Net framework 4.5 so that I can convince my leads/organisation to procure the licences for the latest Telerik version .

We need to initiate the migration/upgrade this month itself, grateful if you can respond quickly so that I can request my organisation to procure the licences at the earliest.

Regards,

Abhishek Chauhan

Abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jul 2015, 01:36 PM

Hi Vessy,

I have verified and I can confirm that after adding the Telerik.Web.Design dll the design mode error is fixed.

I am using Telerik version 2009.01.402.20 and everything is working as expected for my Visual Studio 2012 solution that targets .Net Framework 4.5 however you have already confirmed that this Telerik version is not compatible with .Net framework 4.5.

Not sure why am I not getting any error if the telerik version is not compatible with the .net Framework?

Grateful if you can advise at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Abhishek Chauhan

Accepted
Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jul 2015, 07:45 AM
Hi Abhishek,

There is no error thrown when you are running a .NET 4.5 application with .NET 2.0 DLLs due to the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy. This means that there is legacy support provided by Microsoft for the previous .NET versions (like .NET 2.0) and if you want to use the .NET 4.5 new features in your project, outside the scope of the Telerik controls, you can keep on using the currently use version of the controls. If you want to utilize the .NET 4.5 functionality of the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX controls, though, you will need to upgrade the Telerik DLLs to a version, supporting .NET 4.5.

I hope this information sheds some light on the subject. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance on this matter.

Regards,
Vessy
Telerik
Abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jul 2015, 09:42 AM

Thanks Vessy, I just wanted the above confirmation from you.

Regards,

Abhishek Chauhan

Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jul 2015, 02:35 PM
Hi Abhishek,

I am glad the provided information served its purposes. Feel free to reach us again whenever any further Telerik related assistance is needed.

Regards,
Vessy
Telerik
Sumit
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2016, 12:51 PM

Query for the Support for the version number 2011.2.712.0Telerik Windows ControlsDll

Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 07 Nov 2016, 02:15 PM
Hi Sumit,

Please, submit a separate ticket for the product you are using, describing the exact issue you are facing, and we will address your inquiry accordingly.

Kind regards,
Vessy
Telerik by Progress
Check out the new UI for ASP.NET Core, the most complete UI suite for ASP.NET Core development on the market, with 60+ tried-and-tested widgets, based on Kendo UI.
Tags
Miscellaneous
Asked by
Abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 1
Vessy
Telerik team