This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Telerik for Xamarin.UI and Visual Studio 2015 RC

8 Answers 253 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Markus
Top achievements
Rank 2
Markus asked on 29 May 2015, 12:22 PM

Hi there,

I am evaluating Visual Studio 2015 RC with Xamarin (IOs+Android, business) and Telerik extensions.

If I install the Telerik extensions via the control Panel I cannot install the "UI for Xamarin Cross-Plattform" part because it says that Xamarin is missing.

But it is installed!

Does the current Version of UI for Xamarin recognize Visual Studio 2015?

Best Regards

Markus

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vladislav
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jun 2015, 08:59 AM
Hello Markus,

We are not aware of such problem with VS 2015 and our "UI for Xamarin" suite.

Can you please confirm that you are able to create a simple "Xamarin.Forms Portable" project in VS 2015 without using our Xamarin.Forms controls?

We think that there may be a problem with your VS 2015/Xamarin.Forms installation, and particularly that the Xamarin support for VS 2015 is not (properly) installed. You can check this article for description and workaround of similar issues.

Regards,
Vladislav
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
improwise
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Iron
answered on 26 Jul 2015, 12:39 PM

Hi,

Could you please post a complete solution to this as you have now confirmed it to be a problem with the installer as of the email I received a few days ago?

"I am afraid our installer does not support VS 2015 with Xamarin extensions yet. We will provide support for it in our next release, but in the meantime, please use the .zip or Nuget packages, available for download on our site."

Ves
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jul 2015, 12:35 PM
Hi Patrick,

You can download the ZIP file from here. Or, you can navigate to Your Account >> Products & Subscriptions >> Trials >> UI for Xamarin Cross-Platform >> Download >> Manual Installation or Nuget Packages. Extract the downloaded package to a location at your convenience and add references to the assemblies in the Binaries folder or using the NuGet package manager.

In the meantime, while we investigate other possible reasons for problems with installation, you can check this article from Xamarin. According to it "In certain situations, the Xamarin installer might automatically un-check the install options for the Visual Studio extensions" . This might be one reason why our installer would refuse to install UI for Xamarin Cross-Platform.

Best regards,
Ves
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
improwise
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Iron
answered on 12 Aug 2015, 12:22 PM

Hi,

It seems like the Telerik Installer will only detect Xamarin if it is installed in Visual Studio 2013 (or perhaps all installed Visual Studios, I have 2013 and 2015). Once I added Xamarin to 2013 as well using the Xamarin "Change" Teleriks Control Panel had no problem installing the Xamarin Extensions. So I would recommend anyone with similar problems to try that.

Markus
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Oct 2015, 10:30 PM

Hi,

I installed the new october release of "Telerik Ui for Xamarin.Forms" but it fails to install into visual Studio 2015 professional, too.

Is there any chance that the installer issue regarding installation in Visual Studio 2015 is fixed some day ?

Best Regards

Markus

Ves
Telerik team
answered on 07 Oct 2015, 01:37 PM
Hi Markus,

In order to install Telerik UI for Xamarin, you need Xamarin installed. To install it with Visual Studio, you need to choose custom installation and C#/.NET (Xamarin) [3rd party] as shown in this article. If you already have Visual Studio installed, you can change the installation, also shown in the same article. If you have both VS 2013 and VS 2015 and installed Xamarin directly from their website, you might need to enable Xamarin for VS 2015, this is also shown in the same article -- look for Are the Xamarin project templates missing  section.

I believe this will fix the problem with the installation.

Best regards,
Ves
Telerik
Markus
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 07 Oct 2015, 02:22 PM

Hi Ves,

I have Xamarin already installed and it works quite well.
But if I try to install the Telerik UI for Xamarin it does not detect Visual Studio 2015 (no label and no checkbox at the bottom of the control panel setup showing "visual Studio 2015"). So it simply does not integrate itself templates in Visual Studio 2015.

It seems to be the same issue Patrik Johansson described earlier in this thread.

Best regards,

Markus

Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 08 Oct 2015, 12:17 PM
Hi Markus,

Currently Telerik UI for Xamarin Cross-Platform has integration available only for Visual Studio 2013. That's why you have only Visual Studio 2013 checkbox in the Telerik Control Panel. Integration with Visual Studio 2015 will be added in one of our next releases.

In summary - you can install the Telerik UI for Xamarin Cross-Platform product if you have VS2015 with Xamarin VS Extensions, but for now the product is not integrated with VS2015.

Regards,
Momchil
Telerik
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Markus
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Vladislav
Telerik team
improwise
Top achievements
Rank 1