String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.

4 posts, 0 answers
  1. Joshy Varghese
    Joshy Varghese avatar
    9 posts

Posted 21 Oct 2011 Link to this post

Hi,
    I'm using latest version Q2 2011 telerik controls. I'm getting an exception on grid  ItemDataBound event only on edit command. Initial databound and paging, sorting are good.

In my database both fields are datetime.

StartTime                                    EndTime                                            
    2011-09-30 00:00:00.000            2011-09-30 15:34:33.203

In the radGrid
    Start Time                                     End Time
    9/30/2011 12:00:00 AM                9/30/2011 3:34:33 PM

EditMode

="InPlace"

OnNeedDataSource="grdTime_NeedDataSource" (binding the data on server side using EntityFramework)
    <Columns>

<telerik:GridDateTimeColumn DataField="StartTime" HeaderButtonType="TextButton" HeaderText="Start Time" ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="Left" UniqueName="StartTime" ItemStyle-Width="100px" HeaderStyle-Width="100px" ReadOnly="true" DataType="System.DateTime">

</telerik:GridDateTimeColumn>

<telerik:GridDateTimeColumn DataField="EndTime" HeaderButtonType="TextButton" HeaderText="End Time" ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="Left" UniqueName="EndTime" ItemStyle-Width="100px" HeaderStyle-Width="100px" PickerType="DateTimePicker" DataType="System.DateTime">

</Columns>

Getting the "String was not recognized as a valid DateTime." exception on hitting edit button.

Thanks!

2. Shinu
    Shinu avatar
    17764 posts

Posted 21 Oct 2011 Link to this post

Hello Joshy,

I have tried to recreate the issue at my end but no avail. Please make sure that the value coming from the database is compatible and recognizable by the control. Another suggestion is to go for a template column with DatePicker in EditItemTemplate.

Thanks,
    Shinu.
  3. UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017
  4. Gabriel
    Gabriel avatar
    1 posts

Posted 01 Nov Link to this post

Hi there.

I have a similar scenario. I'm getting the same error when I hit the edit button only.

Either the ItemDataBound event is working good and the grid is filtering good with EnableRangeFiltering="true".

I'm sending the data from a storeprocedure as (the default database's languaje is english):

CONVERT(DATETIME ,[dScheduled] ,103) [dScheduled]

I already tried many conbinations in the EditDataFormatString property as "yyyy-MM-dd", "dd/MM/yyyy" and the like.

My code is this:

<telerik:GridDateTimeColumn DataField="dScheduled" SortExpression="dScheduled" UniqueName="dScheduled" DataType="System.DateTime" FilterControlWidth="100px" HtmlEncode="False" PickerType="DatePicker" CurrentFilterFunction="Between" AndCurrentFilterFunction="Between" ShowFilterIcon="False" EnableRangeFiltering="true" DataFormatString="{0:dd/MM/yyyy}" EditDataFormatString="yyyy-MM-dd" FilterDateFormat="dd/MM/yyyy" AutoPostBackOnFilter="True">

I add the Stack Trace, just in case:

[FormatException: The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime.]
       Telerik.Web.UI.RadDatePicker.set_DbSelectedDate(Object value) +805
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridDateTimeColumnEditor.set_Text(String value) +43
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridBoundColumn.OnDataBindColumn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1084
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +84
       System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +150
       System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +17
       System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() +185
       System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +160
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridEditFormItem.SetupItem(Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem, GridColumn[] columns, ControlCollection rows) +224
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridItemBuilder.CreateItems(GridGroupingContext group) +953
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.CreateItems(IEnumerator enumerator, GridColumn[] columns, ControlCollection controls) +129
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +1852
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, Boolean useDataSource) +820
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data) +67
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.OnDataSourceViewSelectCallback(IEnumerable data) +128
       System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +34
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +143
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.PerformSelect() +16
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +74
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.DataBind() +274
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.Rebind() +123
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridCommandEventArgs.ExecuteCommand(Object source) +143
       Telerik.Web.UI.RadGrid.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +91
       System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +37
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridItem.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +38
       Telerik.Web.UI.GridItem.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +87
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +121
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +180
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +12
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +15
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +35
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1639

Thanks.

5. Marin
    Admin
    Marin avatar
    1044 posts

Posted 04 Nov Link to this post

Hi,

The EditDataFormatString should match the format of the data coming from the database and the culture on the current page in the application, in order for the string to be parsed correctly. Verify that these formats match and then set this format to the EditDataFormatString to resolve the problem.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
    Marin
    Telerik by Progress
    Check out the new UI for ASP.NET Core, the most complete UI suite for ASP.NET Core development on the market, with 60+ tried-and-tested widgets, based on Kendo UI.