This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

split button

3 Answers 94 Views
RibbonBar
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Kathleen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Kathleen asked on 16 Feb 2007, 09:36 PM
I want to use a split button on the RIbonBar. I can coax the RadSplitBar onto the ribbon, but I don't see where to turn off its border.

Also, it lookts like the vertical group bar does not position according to the MSFT guidelines and has to be adjusted and has to have its contained buttons margins set to 1 to get the legal (and nice looking) effect) Is this a bug?

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jordan
Telerik team
answered on 20 Feb 2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Kathleen,

Currently the border of a split button in a ribbon can not be turned off from the designer. This behavior is due to the way the themes are applied (you get your border hidden before the theme mechanism sets all the properties of the border including its visibility back to visible).
Hiding the border of a split button can be accomplished by setting the visibility of the border for example while the form is loading (in its load event handler).

this.radSplitButtonElement1.GetChildAt(0).Visibility = Telerik.WinControls.ElementVisibility.Hidden; 

Regarding the fact that our ribbon bar has some incompatibilities with the MSFT guidelines it is true, as the the architecture of this part of the ribbon was done  long before any guidelines were published. We are aware of this fact and we are currently working on improvements in this area.

Kind regards,
Jordan
the telerik team
Kathleen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Feb 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the information. I do not yet understand theming, but I'm working on it.

Can I set a theme class for split buttons in ribbons and set the style that way? I do not see themes as being very valuable if I am in code changing values. Who is to say that next year's fashion won't include borders on buttons?

I think it would be very nice to have a more robust Office 2007 theme that included classes for items that appear in certain scenarios that would have different defaults than the standard. This would include the vertical padding, borders, and a nice looking trackbar. For the present, I can live with assigning those classes myself, although eventually your UI should be helpful for it, and perhaps even defaulting based on the parent.

As I am just starting with your themes, I may be misusing the phrase class in that paragraph and I may not understand the intention behind themes.

Jordan
Telerik team
answered on 21 Feb 2007, 09:58 AM
Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for your suggestions. Your input is very valuable for us.

You are on the right direction with understanding the themes in general and the meaning of the Class property of our UI elements. The approach  is actually quite similar to style classes in CSS that is used in web-browser applications.
We agree that a control like the ribbon needs more robust and consistent theming. Although we do not currently have themes especially for split buttons in the ribbon, that is possible and we intent to fill the gaps in the next release.

Greetings,
Jordan
the telerik team
Tags
RibbonBar
Asked by
Kathleen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jordan
Telerik team