Further to this, I have reverted to using a TypeName, my Class structure comprises an "Account" which has a parent class of "Product", and Product has a property called "FixedYears (Fixed_Years in the database)", when I put a column on my gird to display the Product.FixedYears, I can filter by it, but when I sort I get an error with the pertinent part of the StackTrace as follows:
|SELECT TOP(??T) a.[Fndr_ID] AS COL1, a.[Loan_ID] AS COL2, a.[Completion_Date] AS COL3, a.[Locked_to_Swap] AS COL4, a.[Principal_Balance] AS COL5, a.[Product_ID] AS COL6, a.[Fndr_ID] AS COL7, a.[Pool_ID] AS COL8, a.[Swap_List_ID] AS COL9 FROM [Account] a JOIN [Product] AS b ON (a.[Product_ID] = b.[ID]) WHERE b.[Fixed_Years] = 2 ORDER BY FixedYears Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: Invalid column name 'FixedYears'.
Note that the Order By attempts to refer to a column called "FixedYears" which does not exist (the Product Class Property is FixedYears, but this maps to Fixed_Years in the database).
I think I must point out that when I say filter and sort, I mean that I have enabled these options on the RadGrid and am exercising them from the grid (i.e. what a user would do).
And Yes this happens for any property of a parent class of the TypeName class.
Arrg - too quick to post, forget this problem - the Grid's SortExpression has to include the Parent Class (Product.FixedYears)..