This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Several Questions

4 Answers 84 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Cuthahotha
Top achievements
Rank 1
Cuthahotha asked on 24 Sep 2008, 10:27 PM
I;ve been doing an eval of the silverlight controls, and have decided (not because of Telerik) to move my project back to WPF.  That being said, I don't have time to dig in to each control and hope to ask a couple of questions.

Carousel:
    I'd like to be able to stick "Edit", "Add", and "Delete" buttons side by side with the rest of the carousel control buttons.  Just pass through the click events so I can respond to them.  OR can I hide/remove all of the nav buttons from the control and let me implement "Next" "Previous", "First", "Last", etc.  Is this possible?  

Why?  As it sits now, it's kind of ugly to have all the nav buttons on the carousel, and the data manipulation (Edit, Add, Delete) on another part of the form.  It would be much much cleaner if we had the option to put the buttons side by side.

Tree View:
    I asked a similar question in the silverlight forums and i know it's planned in the next release.  I would like to use the drag/drop ability in the control to do drag and drop in a flat non-hierarchael model.  Ie a standard list I can re org.

Why this is important is because I don't want a different user experience when ordering a treeview of data as opposed to a flat list view.

Charts (Futures):
    The charts look pretty basic, which is fine.  Do they support X and Y Axis titles?  This should be pretty basic funtionality, but your major competitor doesn't support it, and you have to play in WPF to make it work.

Thanks,
Steve

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 25 Sep 2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Cuthahotha,

Here are the answers to your questions grouped by product:

Carousel:

The navigation buttons of RadCarousel are simply a restyled scrollbar. There are several ways to add your buttons next to our navigations buttons - one is to modify some of our styles, and another one would be to simply have a panel, that host your buttons, placed over our RadCarousel. You can also hide the scrollbars that RadCarousel uses and provide you own buttons that call our navigation API to make the carousel move. 

Tree View:
    We are trying to conform to the standart user exaperince as much as possible so the drag and drop user experience should be the same.

Charts:
    Our char suite has a built-in support for axis titles.

Greetings,
Milan
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Cuthahotha
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Sep 2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Milan,

Thanks for the quick answers.

Carousel.  I like the idea of restyling your style.  Using a panel and covering your nav bar would be easier, except that I everything scaling to fit forms in what ever size, and this would make that not work.  So, any hints on restyling your styles would be appreciated.

TreeView:  The sliverlight group indicates the next release will be on a new "Drag and Drop framework" and that the ability to suppress the control to a single level will be included.  Can you tell me when this would be released in WPF?

Charts:  EXCELLENT.  I just haven't had tiune to dig in and check for my self yet. thanks.

Thanks,
Steve
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 26 Sep 2008, 03:30 PM
Hello Cuthahotha,

I've created a sample project that demonstrates 2 ways to place custom buttons next to the navigation ones.
The first one shows how you can place an overlayed panel that still works when the window is resized.
The second one features modifications on our default scrollbar styles, but I would not recommend this approach because it is quite cumbersome and incorrect from architectural point of view.
There is also a third example that demonstrates how to ignore the default navigation buttons and create your own.

As for the Drag And Drop Framework - we will be releasing it only for Silverlight with the forthcoming Q3 release. We will plan porting the framework to WPF for Q1 2009. However, considering the complexity of the feature, we cannot set a certain timeframe at the moment.

Hope this works for you.

All the best,
Nick
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Cuthahotha
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Sep 2008, 04:01 PM
Nick,

Thank you, the samples will help.

On the Drag/Drop.  I 100% understand the schedule impacts.

Let me get a bit more on what I'm trying to do, or would like the tool to support.

At it's simplest I'd like the treeview to have a switch that would stop the treeview from allowing any nesting.  Stopping the nesting, and the "Drop In" drag/drop adornment.

My original request is just a simple list that had your drag and drop built in.  I had thought of the treeview, only because that way all the adornments during drag and drop would look and act the same way.

I look forward to the next release.

Thanks,
Steve
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Cuthahotha
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Milan
Telerik team