This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Setup failing (2011 Q1)

25 Answers 381 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Alan asked on 16 Mar 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm trying to install Telerik ASP.NET 2011 Q1 and it's failing. 

First download installation log: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1929707/Telerik.Web.UI_2011_1_315_Dev.msi.log
Second download installation log: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1929707/Telerik.Web.UI_2011_1_315_Dev%20%281%29.msi.log

Thanks,
Daryl

25 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 05:02 PM
Hi Daryl,

For some reason the documentation setup failed on your side. The workaround is to run the setup in custom mode and deselect the local documentation from installation.

As we didn't have the error locally, I would love to understand more about the problem and hopefully fix it as early as possible. Do you have Visual Studio 2010? Do you have SP1 applied?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 05:09 PM
Hi Erjan,

Thank you for your reply, I have both VS 2008 and VS 2010 SP 1 installed.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 05:15 PM
Hi Daryl,

We're investigating the error now.
Can you help me some more? Did you have the help content library initialized?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Erjan,

No, it wasn't open, however it's the only help library(RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2010 SP2 Documentation) I have pinned in my start menu (I doubt it could affect the installation though).

Edit: removed pinned shortcut and it (as expected) didn't work.

Regards,
Daryl
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi Daryl,

No, this should not be the problem. The Q3 2010 documentation was targeting MSHelp2, while the new one targets MSHelp3.

Can you check the Application Logs in the system Event Viewer for a recent error (during the RadControls installation)? Can you send me the errors?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 05:32 PM
Hi Erjan,

Is this what you need? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1929707/installation-events.evtx

Thanks,
Daryl
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Daryl,

Indeed, that was very useful! It seems that for some reason the User Account Control has prevented the documentation setup, though we've tried preventing that. We're working on reproducing the problem now and we will do our best to have a fix or a workaround posted here asap.

P.S. Please, find your Telerik account updated for the help!

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 05:52 PM
Hi Erjan,

Thank you for your help, I'll wait for the fix then :).

Regards,
Daryl
Accepted
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 06:09 PM
Hi Daryl,

It occurs that the implementation of a fix might need some more time. In the meantime, here are the two workarounds:

Workaround1:
  1. Ensure you have the documentation library store set up
    (Visual Studio 2010 -> Help -> Manage Help Settings)
  2. Run the RadControls installer

Workaround2:
  1. Start a Command Prompt as administrator
  2. Navigate to the folder where the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX installer was downloaded
  3. Run the following command:
    msiexec /i [RadControlsInstallationMSIFileName].msi /limev InstallLog.txt

Update:
   Another reason for the documentation deployment to fail was discovered. It is the lack of the Root Certificates (shipped with (KB931125)). Having that, please, check if you have the latest Windows Updates installed (as explained in the MS Help 3 documentation deployment issues blog post.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Erjan,

Great, I used workaround2 and it worked perfectly.

Many thanks,
Daryl
John
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 09:04 PM
I had to use workaround2 as well.  thanks for posting this info.
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 11:44 PM
I too had the same issue and Workaround2 worked for me.
Nathan Wykes
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Mar 2011, 03:48 AM
Workaround 1 worked in my case.
Wolfshund
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 17 Mar 2011, 06:32 AM
Hi Erjan,

in my case none of the 2 workarounds do work. Is there a way to install the documentation itself and what is the install location?

Kind regards,
Joerg
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 17 Mar 2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Joerg,

Can you open a separate support ticket, run the installer with logging enabled and send us the log? It could be a different error happening on your side.

Please, use the steps in Workaround 2 to run the installer with logging enabled:
  1. Start a Command Prompt as administrator
  2. Navigate to the folder where the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX installer was downloaded
  3. Run the following command:
    msiexec /i [RadControlsInstallationMSIFileName].msi /limev InstallLog.txt

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
zAxis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Mar 2011, 04:11 PM
I had this issue pop up on a couple of machines and tracked the problem down to the logged on user not having permissions to the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary" directory.  Once the user was added, setup was successful.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 17 Mar 2011, 04:18 PM
Hi zAxis,

Thanks indeed for the tip! This is a valid approach too.

By the way, I'm glad to say we already fixed the problem and the next releases won't have it. We'll upload an internal build with an MSI as well.

Best regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Mar 2011, 07:37 PM
Your suggested workaround appears to resolve my install issue too.  I'm using VS 2010 Ultimate (Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel)

... More specifically workaround 2
Logisz
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Apr 2011, 01:05 PM
Same problem here. But deselecting the DOCUMENTATION during the installation did the trick...
frank
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 May 2011, 09:41 PM
Installing Telerik.Web.UI_2011_1_519_Trial.zip  failed.

I have KB931125 updated.

also followed the workaround 2 failed again.
some logs:

MSI (s) (A0:98) [15:48:17:794]: Note: 1: 1722 2: InstallHelp 3: C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2011\Documentation\ 4: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v1.0\HelpLibManager.exe" /product TELERIK_RC_AJAX /version 2011_Q1 /locale en-us /silent /content "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\HelpLibrary" /sourceMedia "C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2011\Documentation\HelpContentSetup.msha"
MSI (s) (A0:98) [15:48:17:794]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
MSI (s) (A0:98) [15:48:17:794]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1722
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action InstallHelp, location: C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2011\Documentation\, command: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v1.0\HelpLibManager.exe" /product TELERIK_RC_AJAX /version 2011_Q1 /locale en-us /silent /content "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\HelpLibrary" /sourceMedia "C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2011\Documentation\HelpContentSetup.msha"
MSI (s) (A0:98) [15:59:26:374]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
MSI (s) (A0:98) [15:59:26:374]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709
MSI (s) (A0:98) [15:59:26:374]: Product: Telerik RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2011 SP2 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action InstallHelp, location: C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2011\Documentation\, command: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v1.0\HelpLibManager.exe" /product TELERIK_RC_AJAX /version 2011_Q1 /locale en-us /silent /content "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\HelpLibrary" /sourceMedia "C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2011\Documentation\HelpContentSetup.msha"
frank
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 May 2011, 09:47 PM
If  deselect the DOCUMENTATION during the installation, it works.
jbanks27
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Sep 2011, 06:17 PM
I am having the same problem on ASP.NET Ajax Q2 2011 SP1.  I have found that the problem centers on the documentation / help library merge.  My help files are not located on C:\ProgramData\ but are located on D:\ProgramData\.  When the installation attempts to run the publish / help merge, it fails and rolls back.

Is there any way to specify where the help library is actually located at?
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 27 Sep 2011, 08:57 AM
Hi,

Our installation package does not rely on knowing where the help library is located as it uses a the HelpLibManager.exe command-line tool for deployment.

Although I have no idea what the cause for the failure is on your system, we have identified a corrupt help library as a common cause for failure on a number of customers' systems. The issue was resolved by performing the following steps:
  1. Open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v1.0\HelpLibManager.exe.config
  2. Set the FirstTimeRun value to True
  3. Open the "Help Library Manager" (in Visual Studio 2010, Help -> Manage Help Settings)
  4. Select Choose online or local helpSelect I want to use local help
  5. Try viewing the VS 2010 Help (Help -> View Help)

Let me know if that helps.

Best wishes,
Andrey
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
Logisz
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 22 Aug 2012, 06:49 AM
Never run the helpmanager before (did it now) and will try if it's working with the next release.
Chavdar Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 22 Aug 2012, 08:35 AM
Hi Frank,

Thanks for writing.

Do not hesitate to come back to us if this does not help.

Regards,
Chavdar,
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1